Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
03 Monaco Dynasty need exhaust system

I would like to replace the exhaust system on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty sometime in the next couple of months. I sent a request to Monaco Parts Department a few days ago asking for a quote for the parts. Today I received the quote.... The quote from Monaco was $2552.23 which included a polished tail pipe that was $764.66 by itself!!! This was for parts ONLY not including freight.

So... now I am looking for alternate sources as I don't plan on spending that amount for parts only! Anyone know of a shop in the Fort Worth area that they can recommend for an exhaust system or parts?

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

Hey Ronnie,
Does your coach have a Cummins engine? If it is call Cummins of Fort Worth and see if they have it or can do it. If not then I would start talking to the diesel performance shops around the area or go to someplace like PPL. GL
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, it is a Cummins ISL 400... Thanks for the suggestion, however, Cummins of Fort Worth has no idea what parts are needed, they want me to bring it to them and have them install the exhaust system. I just turned down their quote to install a new exhaust manifold and purchased the parts from them. The parts were close to $600.00 including tax. They quoted 8 hours to install the manifold ($908.00 labor). I installed it yesterday in 4 hours ($0.00 labor excluding the ibuprofen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowRAM View Post
Hey Ronnie,
Does your coach have a Cummins engine? If it is call Cummins of Fort Worth and see if they have it or can do it. If not then I would start talking to the diesel performance shops around the area or go to someplace like PPL. GL

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Exhaust system

Call Brazels Performance RV in Washington state. My old exhaust system weighted over a hundred pounds!! All you need to do is get the stainless steel flex exhaust fro them or any truck shop. Then put on one of their performance mufflers. Weighs about twenty pounds. Easy install, better mileage and more power. Go look at their web site. I would not replace with high cost stock replacement!
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Yep, it is a Cummins ISL 400... Thanks for the suggestion, however, Cummins of Fort Worth has no idea what parts are needed, they want me to bring it to them and have them install the exhaust system. I just turned down their quote to install a new exhaust manifold and purchased the parts from them. The parts were close to $600.00 including tax. They quoted 8 hours to install the manifold ($908.00 labor). I installed it yesterday in 4 hours ($0.00 labor excluding the ibuprofen).
Well, seeing as you are able to wrench do you have a welder? Here is another option.. Buy what you need and put it together. I am sure it's not all 1 piece. Just another thought..

Truck Pipe Store | Aftermarket Exhaust Pipes | Truck and Tractor Exhaust
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out and see what I find!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Are you replacing the entire exhaust system or just the muffler and possibly the chrome tip?

When the time comes for a new muffler, my choice would be this one.

Aero Turbine Exhaust AT5050XL 5050XL Muffler

Chrome tips are available at numerous places throughout the Internet.

Other places for exhaust systems;

WALKER® COMMERCIAL VEHICLE :: World Class Exhaust Solutions From An Industry Leader

Monaco would be the very LAST place I would go for an exhaust system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Are you replacing the entire exhaust system or just the muffler and possibly the chrome tip?
Yes, the plan is to replace the entire exhaust system, except the manifold which I just replaced.

Thanks for the links. I only went to Monaco to get a list of their part numbers and descriptions.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Any reputable exhaust shop that makes/bends the pipes to fit the vehicle can supply the pipes need to replace exactly what you now have provided that they have the proper diameter pipe.

I would opt for SS and be done with it for good.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased most of the parts from summitracing.com. One thing I was concerned about is the durability of the muffler. I not convinced a muffler made for a light duty PU in 4" is going to hold up as well as one made for a HD application. Also be aware of the difference between aluminized pipe and plain steel as the aluminized will last much longer. I like Stainless Steel where I can get it, too. However, SS is not as malleable as aluminized and depending on the bends required may not be available in a particular application.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
I always quote high on manifolds to allow for broken bolts which is pretty common and usually in a PITA spot to access. Factory time on one used to be around a hour to replace. Then we would have to get auth for each broken bolt or problem. Glad you were able to fix it yourself.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
I would like to replace the exhaust system on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty sometime in the next couple of months. I sent a request to Monaco Parts Department a few days ago asking for a quote for the parts. Today I received the quote.... The quote from Monaco was $2552.23 which included a polished tail pipe that was $764.66 by itself!!! This was for parts ONLY not including freight.

So... now I am looking for alternate sources as I don't plan on spending that amount for parts only! Anyone know of a shop in the Fort Worth area that they can recommend for an exhaust system or parts?
Keep in mind not one of those parts is in stock and all must be special ordered or built. I have done a few and we bought all the stuff from local truck parts places however we still had to cut and weld everything because it was all custom made for the coach. The only piece we did not have to make was the Flex pipe and clamps. We could not find a exact muffler but were able to use size and inlet outlet positions to get pretty close to factory.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info... I do plan on rigging my own exhaust system. I only got the quote from Monaco to see what price range they had.

Only ONE part was not in stock, all others were ready to ship the day I got the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Keep in mind not one of those parts is in stock and all must be special ordered or built. I have done a few and we bought all the stuff from local truck parts places however we still had to cut and weld everything because it was all custom made for the coach. The only piece we did not have to make was the Flex pipe and clamps. We could not find a exact muffler but were able to use size and inlet outlet positions to get pretty close to factory.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
texmet -- I have a good muffler I would give you, that I took off when I replaced it with a straight thru muffler , a Aero 50-50 -- I live in AZ , so to far away to do you any good -- Go to web site intakehoses.com , they will probably have the parts you need -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco