Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

03 Monaco Monarch trailer brake controller help

I have a 03 Monaco Monarch on a ford chassis gas burner. Need to install a brake controller on it. I was told it was not prewired for trailer brakes. What all needs to be done to get my controller hooked up? I have a 7 way plug already on it but it only has 3 or 4 wires coming out the back.
scottracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

scottracing-

Is your coach built on a Ford or Workhorse chassis?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Its on a ford chassis with the v10 gasburner. it says it as f-550 chassis
Old 01-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What are you towing that needs a controller?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #5

24' enclosed. Use it to haul my sons jr dragster and golf cart.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottracing View Post
24' enclosed. Use it to haul my sons jr dragster and golf cart.
OK. Thought you might be towing a car, where only light connections are needed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

scottracing-

I'm sorry I missed the place in your first post where you said your coach was on a Ford chassis. I usually try to read things carefully- but didn't this time!

Ford pre-wired the F-53 for an electric brake controller, for your model year. Monaco did not take advantage of that.

Under the dash (usually somewhere to the left of the steering column) there is a Ford-supplied 6-pin connector for an electric brake controller. There may or may not be a Ford pigtail plugged into it. You may have to remove or loosen the dash panel to find the connector and its pigtail (not fun but can be done). One of the wires in the connector goes to the rear, for the electric brake controller signal.

At the rear of the coach, inside the left-hand frame rail, approximately four to eight feet from the rear of the coach, are two Ford connectors. One of these connectors contains the trailer brake controller signal wire. Plugged into the connectors are Ford pigtails. Monaco extended some of the wires from those pigtails to the factory-supplied hitch connector. The electric brake controller wire was NOT one of those (for your model year).

Your assignment (should you choose to accept it) is to find the Ford connector under the dash and the two connectors at the rear. Once you do, it's pretty easy to:

1) buy a matching brake controller cable for the front, and
2) extend the electric brake controller wire to the 7-pin connector from the Ford connector at the rear

At that point, it's plug-and-play.

Buy a Tekonsha P2 or P3 controller. They sell a cable that adapts the controller connector to the Ford connector.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #8

I thought my chassis was a f-550 your saying its an f53 is that right? New to this so just trying to figure out what I have.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #9

If there is not a pigtail where can I get one and what kind of plug am I looking for? Is there a picture somewhere to look at
Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

scottracing-

The six-pin connector under the dash is the male-pin match to the one on this Tekonsha controller pigtail. I believe it's brown. The wire colors are red, blue, green, brown and white. There may be a grey 6-pin connector under there, for other purposes.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Ok I have pulled the dash and I havent found the plug. It may be because I don't know what I'm looking for. I see two white plugs that have two wires in them and on flat four wire plug. I'm beginning to think I wont find it. At the rear of the coach I am hooking up the seven wire plug. When I took the tape off the wiring for the old trailer plug there four wires hooked up a white,brown,yellow and green. I know what those are but there were 2 ohter wires there one was red and the other like a light blue. They were not hooked up and looked they where once but had been cut. Is this for my trailer brake??????
Old 02-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

scottracing-

Look at this post. It has a link to a Ford Tech Bulletin with pictures.

I was incorrect; the connector is grey, not brown.

The connector is way up inside the dash, but if Monaco left the pigtail in it, it's a little easier to find. There are labels on the pigtail. You may be able to remove the screws on the left side of the dash panel and reach in there. From below it's a bear (but can be done).

Find the two connectors at the rear (that I mentioned) and they will contain the wires that you need.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

I see a grey plug under the dash that my brake controller could plug into I just don't know if it's the right one.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

I looked at the figure and that is the plug I saw. I plugged the controller up to it and it came on and said no trailer connected. But when I turn the key off it still has power that the controller is that normal.

Tags
brake, monaco