Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wonder if this is adding SCA additive to the cooling system?

And like others, I've never seen something like this. However it appears to do a fluid injection based on a time interval.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tom,

Wow a six gallon and a five gallon tank. You can see that this just has a small bottle for the fluid. At this point I will assume it is a water/methanol injection kit. The previous owner disconnected the fluid line to the engine, for what reasons I'm not sure.

Can you tell me what you think of your system?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Hi jimmy,

Looks like the previous owner disconnected the line inside the unit to the engine. The pump seems to pump air into the bottle with the liquid and then gets sucked back into the unit and out to the engine. As far as the color of the fluid I get some out and see I can smell anything and see what it looks like out of the bottle.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If that line is going to the intake tube from the ATA, it needs to be blocked off! You do not want unfiltered air/dirt to be sucked into the intake!

It is very hard to see from the picture, but I am guessing that it is some type of methanol injection pump? Do you have a switch on the dash that does not match the others, and you don't know what it does?

I would not drive it without plugging that connection in the ATA tube!

Rail!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks rail! The line was connected to the bottle and blocked off. It looks like it was supposed to be connected to the pump but as you can see in the photo he had it disconnected from the pump and just static on the bottle.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
And no I don't have any switches that I don't know what they are. When I turn the ignition to the on it activates the pump.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
What kind of boost from the turbo are you getting? If it is indeed open, you would be loosing boost! And a noticeable power loss! That would be on the charge side of your ATA, so it would not be sucking air in, it would be blowing it out, (loosing boost) You should be able to see if you are indeed loosing boost, or hear it, if it is leaking, for sure! Any case, I would disconnect the hose, and plug it at ATA tube, till you figure out what this is, and if you are going to use it in the future! Rail!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't actually seen the connection to the ata but I will look in the morning. I see where it connects but I haven't peeled back the loom to actually lay my eye on it but I will in the morning and try figure out what to plug it with.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, let us know, for sure! I am curious too, as what it is? It seems that a injection system would be into the intake after the grid heaters, and operated by a solenoid, at a certain temp. or throttle position, who knows? Rail!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #24

We do a lot of traveling in the mountains out west like Lake Tahoe. Put the Snow system on and we pick up at least 5 mph on 6% plus grades. Use windshield washer fluid for -20 degrees which is half methanol which is the most % to use. Do need EGT gauge to be safe. Pick up a couple pounds of turbo boost with system. Our turbo boost is around 45 psi both on Banks gauge and Cummins computer read out. It is a big job to install with all the added safety items we used plus refilling. You really need to want the added power to take the time and money to do it right.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #25

That sure doesn't look like any methanol injection kit I've installed or seen. With that dark of liquid & that small of bottle I have no idea what that is.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #26

Methanol will darken with age.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe it's set up to spray the radiator and cool it down going up hills?
Methanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water right out of the air. It usually turns milky.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
This reminds me of an invention by a Dr. Somebody that would re-circulate blow-by into the intake through a 12VDC "black box" and increase fuel mileage by some incredible amount. He brought the idea to a state funded incubator I consulted with as an engineer. A little research found that the Dr. was a chiropractor with no relevant credentials. I know the device under discussion is different, but it reminded me of that experience.
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco