Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
03 Signature!

So I've been looking to upsize from my 32' Winne Adventurer for the past little while. Spending 3/4 time in Denver, home to Anchorage for Summer. Found some nice coaches, was considering an American Coach asked about them here. Choose to pass on both of them, but got a call last week from Lazy Days Tucson salesguy who told me he found my coach (while talking about the American Tradition earlier, he quizzed me about what I was looking for). It just rolled in. Said he could fit that into my stated budget (80-120k). NADA values this coach at $506,380 new, $149,240 low retail, 179,810 high retail. Told me he had a 2003 42.5' Monaco Signature Chancellor w/tag. 2 slides, 55k miles, Cummings 525, Aqua Hot (I shopped for a unit with Aqua Hot due to planned mountain West home base for the next while). Received lots of pics of the coach as it arrived (pre detail) showing a clean, well kept coach. Decided to take him up on his offer to hold the coach for me for a $1000 refundable deposit. I am currently negotiating having them do all of the engine, trans, chassis, generator and appliance service, essentially zero timing the entire maintenance cycle. Oil analysis is being done. Thanks, Steve, for all of your help with all that!

So, if the deal goes through, DW and I will drive Harvie the RV from Denver to Tuscon, arriving New Years Eve, and ring in the new year in our new home!

I am most grateful for all y'all's community here. I have been able to learn much of what I needed to know in order to pull this HUGE transition. Even joined your group!

Cool!

dc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #2

DC,
Hope everything works out great for you when you arrive to close the deal on the Sig. We bought our 08 Sig from Lazy Days in Florida and were very pleased with how they fixed every little or big thing that was wrong with the coach after we purchased and then gave an additional 30 day warranty after the sale for anything we could find wrong after we left. They really stood behind their warranty.
We've enjoyed our Sig and are thinking of taking it on its' first trip to Alaska but our 4th RV'g trip there in 2013. Can't wait to see Alaska again through that big windshield instead of the pickup windshield.

You're going to love this forum for all the help you'll receive as you encounter questions and problems in the future with your Sig.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcliff View Post
So I've been looking to upsize from my 32' Winne Adventurer for the past little while. Spending 3/4 time in Denver, home to Anchorage for Summer. Found some nice coaches, was considering an American Coach asked about them here. Choose to pass on both of them, but got a call last week from Lazy Days Tucson salesguy who told me he found my coach (while talking about the American Tradition earlier, he quizzed me about what I was looking for). It just rolled in. Said he could fit that into my stated budget (80-120k). NADA values this coach at $506,380 new, $149,240 low retail, 179,810 high retail. Told me he had a 2003 42.5' Monaco Signature Chancellor w/tag. 2 slides, 55k miles, Cummings 525, Aqua Hot (I shopped for a unit with Aqua Hot due to planned mountain West home base for the next while). Received lots of pics of the coach as it arrived (pre detail) showing a clean, well kept coach. Decided to take him up on his offer to hold the coach for me for a $1000 refundable deposit. I am currently negotiating having them do all of the engine, trans, chassis, generator and appliance service, essentially zero timing the entire maintenance cycle. Oil analysis is being done. Thanks, Steve, for all of your help with all that!

So, if the deal goes through, DW and I will drive Harvie the RV from Denver to Tuscon, arriving New Years Eve, and ring in the new year in our new home!

I am most grateful for all y'all's community here. I have been able to learn much of what I needed to know in order to pull this HUGE transition. Even joined your group!

Cool!

dc
We were there last week looking and they said they had an '03 2 slide coming in. I valued it w/o options at $108-$130. Sounds like maybe the same MH. I spoke to Randy the SM and David. They said it would be offered at $108k. He quickly corrected himself and said it was offered at $180. We are looking for more room. I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on your buying experience, if you have time.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We were there last week looking and they said they had an '03 2 slide coming in. I valued it w/o options at $108-$130. Sounds like maybe the same MH. I spoke to Randy the SM and David. They said it would be offered at $108k. He quickly corrected himself and said it was offered at $180. We are looking for more room. I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on your buying experience, if you have time.
So far, so good. Despite all of the LD bashers here at irvII, My experience with Tim Turner has been incredible. With the help of Steve Ownby (a Sig owner and senior member here), I requested the following items be preformed...

OK...Here is my proposal...

It is my desire to agree to the purchase of the Sig, but I want to drive away with all PM due within 1yr or 5000 mi preformed as a condition of sale

I agree to your asking price of $xxxxxx, contingent upon:
Our general acceptance of the coach
Driving school for myself and wife

Your agreement to preform the following PM items.

Engine
Analyze engine and tranny oil samples
change eng oil & filter
change eng air filter
change tranny filters and fluid (Transynd)
Service Air dryer
Test and adjust coolant SCA level
Ensure fuel filters and the primary filter (Rankor) conversion is already accomplished or install the conversion kit to allow use of currently available filters
replace primary and fuel filter
Generator
replace oil and filters
if hours are near1000, change the fan belt and adjust the valves
Chassis
hand wax coach
weigh coach (6 point)
service front wheel bearings
replace differental fluid
full chassis lube including slides
ensure ride height/Tag air adjustments are correctly
service Aqua hot /replace nozzle and filter, clean combustion chamber
Norcold: annual PM/ recall done?

The response took only an hour; LD will do all that I asked.

I remain a bit anxious putting down money on a coach sight unseen (lots of pictures, though...) Tim ensures me that my $1000 deposit is completely refundable, for any reason.

more to follow...

dc
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
...pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121218_130420.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	31006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121218_130706.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	31007  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121218_130805.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	31008   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121218_131125.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	31009  

Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Have you verified that the coach does not fall into the catagory of Roadmaster chassis coaches that had the "trailing arm" failure issue? That could be a HUGE problem if it is in that group and ALL of the arms have not been replaced with the upgraded version. Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers
Have you verified that the coach does not fall into the catagory of Roadmaster chassis coaches that had the "trailing arm" failure issue? That could be a HUGE problem if it is in that group and ALL of the arms have not been replaced with the upgraded version. Good luck & God bless!
No worries about the trailing arm issue that was a 4 air bag chassis (RR4R). The Sig is on the S Series which is one of the strongest chassis in the industry.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcliff View Post
So far, so good. Despite all of the LD bashers here at irvII, My experience with Tim Turner has been incredible. With the help of Steve Ownby (a Sig owner and senior member here), I requested the following items be preformed...

OK...Here is my proposal...

It is my desire to agree to the purchase of the Sig, but I want to drive away with all PM due within 1yr or 5000 mi preformed as a condition of sale

I agree to your asking price of $xxxxxx, contingent upon:
Our general acceptance of the coach
Driving school for myself and wife

Your agreement to preform the following PM items.

Engine
Analyze engine and tranny oil samples
change eng oil & filter
change eng air filter
change tranny filters and fluid (Transynd)
Service Air dryer
Test and adjust coolant SCA level
Ensure fuel filters and the primary filter (Rankor) conversion is already accomplished or install the conversion kit to allow use of currently available filters
replace primary and fuel filter
Generator
replace oil and filters
if hours are near1000, change the fan belt and adjust the valves
Chassis
hand wax coach
weigh coach (6 point)
service front wheel bearings
replace differental fluid
full chassis lube including slides
ensure ride height/Tag air adjustments are correctly
service Aqua hot /replace nozzle and filter, clean combustion chamber
Norcold: annual PM/ recall done?

The response took only an hour; LD will do all that I asked.

I remain a bit anxious putting down money on a coach sight unseen (lots of pictures, though...) Tim ensures me that my $1000 deposit is completely refundable, for any reason.

more to follow...

dc
Wow! Thank you!

Looks like a fine Coach. I have a favorable impression of LD, too. We are going to DiMartini in a couple of weeks for another data point. No doubt you can buy cheaper from an individual, but from a service and peace of mind aspect LD has much to offer. I hope you enjoy the whole transaction. Good Luck!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wink

That's a really nice looking coach. The only thing I can see wrong with it is .... it's not mine !

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote