RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi,
I test drove my first diesel pusher last week as we desire to go from a gas unit to diesel.
This '04 in appearance seems in good condition but has a lot of miles at 50,000.
While the test ride went well in all respects I have one concern. When accelerating in the approx 20-30mph range it shifted really hard in my opinion. Is that normal in these coaches or should it be very smooth thru all gear changes??
Also is there any concern I should have given the mileage on this unit??
Thanks for your input.

Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi,
I test drove my first diesel pusher last week as we desire to go from a gas unit to diesel.
This '04 in appearance seems in good condition but has a lot of miles at 50,000.
While the test ride went well in all respects I have one concern. When accelerating in the approx 20-30mph range it shifted really hard in my opinion. Is that normal in these coaches or should it be very smooth thru all gear changes??
Also is there any concern I should have given the mileage on this unit??
Thanks for your input.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Globetrotter: I understand your excitement since I just made the switch from gas to diesel. But, not knowing which coach, which engine and which transmission, it's hard to answer your questions. But, to answer your mileage question - in general, diesel engines are designed to run many more miles that you will ever drive the coach. I have heard of people getting 200,000 miles on a diesel engine and others claim that you should be able to get 300,000 miles or more. A lot depends on how the former owner did the maintenance. If you have any questions about the engine condition, you can have an independent RV repair shop take a look at the engine and transmission before you purchase.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the note. I should have mentioned it is a 400 cummins with an allison Transmission.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #5

I agree with WayneLee, have a mechanic look at it if you really like the coach. The Allison should be smooth through all gears. Allisons do have a "brain" and can detect different driver's driving habits. If the drivers are real different, you may detect a hard shift, but that usually clears up after a few starts and stops. We had a new shift program downloaded in ours and the rep was explaining that it could also cause a hard shift for a while, but it was only noticeable the first time from a dead start, then it cleared up.

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I recently bought an 01 Dynasty with 59,000 miles, while I was making the buying decision, all of the advice I received from my Rving friends (self proclaimed experts!!)...assured me that 59,000 was not something I should be overly concerned with...particularly since the coach was in great shape thoughout. It was obvious that the original owner took excellent care of the MH. Yours is newer, and obviously the original owners traveled alot, but what shape is the MH in???
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Globetrotter....I have the 400 Cummins with the Allison and ocasionally it will hard shift because I backed off or got on the throttle weird as it was about to shift.

The Allison definitely has a learning curve and will need time to understand your driving habits.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Globetrotter,

When I bought my DP it had 17468 miles on it, this was Oct 2000, I now have 108610 miles on it and runs like a CAT should. These diesel engines built today will last you a very long time. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, change your own oil and filters. Also, always carry spare fuel filters with you. You never know when you will get a bad load of fuel and you die on the road side. Voice of experience. I now carry 2 primary and 2 secondary fuel filters.

Yes the Allison does have a learning curve, one thing, you can really hurt the Allison. These were originally designed for heavy duty trucks and earth moving equipment. This is the best transmission for an RV.

Enjoy.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Interesting to learn how sophisticated these trannies are. The coach itself is in very good condition. I do agree an independant assessment is a good move for both the engine and the tranny as they are the most expensive components to deal with. Tires, brakes , air bags, shocks etc can all be expected to need replacement at some point however no one wants an engine or transmission to repair to replace.
Thanks again!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Renegade, did you mean you "can't" really hurt the Allison given it was built for bigger equipment?? a typo I'm guessing.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The trannies designed for MH came from the design used for garbage trucks and other heavy duty types. I got this info from an Allison shop in Ft Smith AR as I had stop to have the filters changed. Was going to do it myself but since I was there had them do it. The filters cost me around $53.00 and the change and refill cost about $92.00 and change. All told about $145. I had done my own before. It took him about an 1 1/2 hours to do the work. From my last change to this one, there was about 50k miles on the oil and filters. They said about 40 max for the type III. The one in my coach is an MD3060 which if I remember correctly is medium duty and the RV's are light duty. My gvw is 28000 but I only load out to around 25k. Pulling a jeep I'm some where around 29k with a gcvw max of 33000. It does make a difference. When I full timed for 6 months I was just under the gvw at 27680. Still no problems with the transmission. Did get some bad fuel and well that's another story. Good luck.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your taking the time to provide this info which is very helpful.