Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

05 Cayman 36 PDQ need sway bar bushings

Had trailing arms and REK kit installed this fall up in Oregon on our new to us MH and was told my sway bar bushings were bad. Where can I get them? Chassis is RR4R. Do I have front and rear sway bars?
ronbunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

On my 2003 Cayman RR4R chassis there is only a rear sway bar. There is a locator bar on the front axel similar to a track bar, no sway bar.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbunge View Post
Had trailing arms and REK kit installed this fall up in Oregon on our new to us MH and was told my sway bar bushings were bad. Where can I get them? Chassis is RR4R. Do I have front and rear sway bars?
Call Henderson Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR. They can help you locate new bushings and/or install them.

www.hendersonslineup.com

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Ronbunge, can you post a pic of the sway bar on the rear? I would love to see it. I have an 07 Neptune. My coach has a front sway bar from factory but no rear. A few years ago I added the rear sway bar. I'm curious to see if it's like mine or different. If i can see it i can tell if it's like mine and whether the bushings mine has are the same.

You may be interested in a thread I started a few years ago title rr4r chassis upgrades. You should be able to easily search and find it. It's a pretty good read but may help with your question.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Will try to get a picture tomorrow. 11/18/18
Old 11-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

I went to Eugene for Source Eng to do the trailing arms and REK as was in ID camp hosting in the summer. Now in the Tucson AZ area for the winter.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
I went to Eugene for Source Eng to do the trailing arms and REK as was in ID camp hosting in the summer. Now in the Tucson AZ area for the winter.
The Source Engineering guys are sharp. We owe them a big thanks for taking on the challenge of the trailing arms. Their REK makes the 4 bag chassis a pleasure to ride in. Unfortunately I'm on the east coast so haven't made it out their way to meet them. Hopefully get to one day.

Chad
Old 11-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

Jim at Source was building his new shop and it wasn't done yet so he talked his friends at Prairie Auto to do the install. They had never done this before. I could not be happier. We were treated like family.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #9

Requested pics of the sway bar

Old 11-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

Thanks ronbunge, for some reason the first pic doesnt show. The second pic appears to be the bar that ties the two trailing arms together. I would not call that a sway (or anti-sway bar as some say) bar. Im not sure what the name of that bar is however. This bar uses different bushings than a sway bar. I replaced 10 of those bushings on my Neptune. They are all the same bushings and coincidentally the same bushings as on an rr8r chassis as well. The replacement that I used and claimed by many to be the best bushing is the ATRO and item number is MO10000. About three or four years ago I paid about $22 each for them. They must be pressed in to install.

If you have any further questions feel free to reach out. I'll be glad to help anyway I can.

Chad
Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

I got the second pic to load.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I got the second pic to load.
Yes I got it that time. That's the same " mystery name" bar that I have. My sway bar is a U shaped bar that attaches to both sides of the frame and then both legs turn and attach to the top of each side of the axle. It's a solid round steel bar about 1 3/4" thick.

The mystery name bar can be removed with the two 1 1/4" bolts and then can be taken to the press to remove the old bushings and replace with new ones. If you were close to my area (central NC) I'd be glad to help you with that.

Chad
Old 11-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Yes I got it that time. That's the same " mystery name" bar that I have. My sway bar is a U shaped bar that attaches to both sides of the frame and then both legs turn and attach to the top of each side of the axle. It's a solid round steel bar about 1 3/4" thick.

The mystery name bar can be removed with the two 1 1/4" bolts and then can be taken to the press to remove the old bushings and replace with new ones. If you were close to my area (central NC) I'd be glad to help you with that.

Chad
So it seems I do not have a sway bar. Esp since you had to install one. As soon as I took the picture of the bar without the U shape I understood. Just a bar the connects the trailing arms. What is its purpose I wonder? The place that replaced the trailing arms called it a sway bar and said the bushings were bad. So I assume they are the ARTO MO10000.
In reading more in the Roadmaster RR44R chassis upgrades forum I see where Source Eng. doesn't recommend them as they have their own.
I trust Jim at Source and may just call him and get replacements.
They surely would have replaced the bushings in the new trailing arms so do I only have two in back on the mystery bar? What's up front that might need to be checked for bushings? BTW I am very happy with the improved handling with the new arms and TEK.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
So it seems I do not have a sway bar. Esp since you had to install one. As soon as I took the picture of the bar without the U shape I understood. Just a bar the connects the trailing arms. What is its purpose I wonder? The place that replaced the trailing arms called it a sway bar and said the bushings were bad. So I assume they are the ARTO MO10000.
In reading more in the Roadmaster RR44R chassis upgrades forum I see where Source Eng. doesn't recommend them as they have their own.
I trust Jim at Source and may just call him and get replacements.
They surely would have replaced the bushings in the new trailing arms so do I only have two in back on the mystery bar? What's up front that might need to be checked for bushings? BTW I am very happy with the improved handling with the new arms and TEK.
The bar ties the two different trailing arms together for added strength. Otherwise, each arm would only be attached at the front through that bushing and bolt. Above the rear axle there's a track bar that uses the same bushings (ATRO MO10000). In the front each trailing arm has a bushing as well as a trac bat that has the same bushings. I've replaced all of mine in an attempt to tighten up the wander that sometimes get when its windy. I did notice some difference in the wandering when all the bushings were changed out. The bushings in there from Monaco were simply two sleeves with a rubber bushing in between. That is very hard rubber inside but it does wear out and also allows quite a bit of movement. The ATRO bushing has a very hard plastic in between that supposedly doesnt wear out nor allow any unwanted movement.

The front of my coach has a sway bar but it doesnt connect in a similar fashion as the rear. It has 2 rods that drop down to attach to the axle with small rubber bushings on them. Of all the changes I've made, the REK from Source helped the ride the most and the rear sway bar helped the wander the most. A side benefit of thy ge rear sway bar it greatly reduced the "Walmart wobble" when crossing bumps and curbs.

Chad