Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
05 Diplomat Ignition Switch

We got back from a trip today and stopped up the street to get the mail and disconnect the toad. When I got back into start the coach, the key wouldn't turn to the start position. I finally got it started and put away. After a little swearing, I got the bezel removed and the switch out. I searched numerous old posts looking for what switch was used by Monaco. It appears that a Chevroler switch from the mid sixties. Does anyone have a part number? My switch says "Cole" on it, but nothing on the Cole/Hersee site with a similar switch. I figured I would head off to Napa tomorrow, but would like a part number if anyone has one.

Thanks Don
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #2

Sounds like the same as mine, 66 Chev P/U I believe. No P/N sorry.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That helps to at least pull a couple and compare. I kept looking at Chevelle switches, but now that I think about it, looks like the old truck bezel/lock.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Here you go Don.

BWD CS81, aka Borg Warner

Advance Auto Parts #5971195, for a 1971 Chevy P/U

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #5

Don, The part number Rex said is the one I installed in my 2001 Diplomat and it cured a lot of problems I was having like at times going down the road the engine would shut down just for an instant and start back up. You have to get the switch for a non-tilt steering column or at least I did. Rex has a write up on how to remove this ignition switch also. George R. 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

Don't let a large key ring with substantial weight hang on the ignition switch. Even a key ring with 10 keys is too much. Every bump you hit transmits a load on the key in the ignition...which in time wears out the mechanical portion of the switch. Weight on a key ring is the biggest known killer of ignition switches
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys...Rex, as usual, you have the part numbers (was actually hoping you would). I just did a major service on the coach last month and lubed all of the locks, including the ignition......that must have pushed it over the edge.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Went to Napa and used the Advanced Auto Parts number to cross reference into a Napa part. New switch with key, $38.00. Everything back together and works great.

Now............two new front tires tomorrow....the GoodYears gave up early...no more GoodYears. Will try Hankooks...can't beat the price.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
Went to Napa and used the Advanced Auto Parts number to cross reference into a Napa part. New switch with key, $38.00. Everything back together and works great.

Now............two new front tires tomorrow....the GoodYears gave up early...no more GoodYears. Will try Hankooks...can't beat the price.
Sounds like a cheap and simple fix Don. I'm an anxious to here your feedback on the Hankooks. I've heard nothing but great things about them. My goodyears on the front will be swapped out sometime this year as well. Are you upsizing at the same time?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
crah....No on the upsizing.

I read a ton of posts last few days on tires and had narrowed down to anything but GoodYear :-). Actually, I had decided on going with either Yokohama, Sumitomo or the Hankooks. If none of those were available, I would have put on the Michellin XZA2. I read a post from someone I trusted who put on the Yokohamas and had issues with too much flex. I went to a local tire shop today that I had never used and he quoted me $940.00 for two Hankooks mounted and balanced out the door. $890.00 for the Sumitomos. I went with the Hankooks.

I paid almost $2500.00 for four GoodYears last summer for the rear. I got 30000 out of the front GoodYears and 43000 out of the rears. I would really like to have a pair on the front wear out from time for a change rather than bad wear ad separations like the GoodYears have. I'm going to break down and try the balance beads on the front. I hope they work like everyone says they do. I'm an old school spin balance guy.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
crah...

..... I'm going to break down and try the balance beads on the front. I hope they work like everyone says they do. I'm an old school spin balance guy.
Don,

I tried the beads in my toad tires because I put the tire pressure sensors on only when towing. I had trouble with the beads. Sometimes they would take a bad set and the car would shake a shimmy. The only way to get out of it was to stop and restart. We were down in Florida and it was driving me crazy. I ended up going to Sams's Club and paying them to remove the beads and spin balance the tires. I know folks have good results in large tires so maybe you will be ok on the coach 22.5 tires.

When we had the GoodYears on the front of the coach they would shake and would not balance. Put the XZA3's on and they balanced and are smooth as silk. I now have them on all six wheels. I know they are directional but I don't rotate the tires on the coach. They do hurt the old pocket book!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote