Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
'06 Camelot Leveling Jacks

I'm having a bit of an argument with my leveling jacks. Can't quite figure out how they are supposed to work.

Do I need to dump the air before I hit the Leveling Jack button or not? Somewhere I thought I was told or I read that when I press the Jack AUTO button the system automatically dumps the air. However, I've noticed that when I do this the coach is pretty high off the ground and the jacks are extended quite a bit. In some cases almost all the way out to get the coach leveled, and in a couple of cases the Auto mode was not able to level it.

Yesterday, it didn't level itself to well in the auto mode, so I switched to MANUAL and tried to level it. I retracted the jacks and then Manually re-leveled. I was able to level it but since all the air was out, it ended up being very close to the ground and the jacks are just barely out. Is this okay, or should I redo it again only in AUTO mode?

Confused...
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Jack confusion

On my 07 Dip you must first dump the air manually & then choose either Man. or auto. on the leveling control pad.
I am not aware of one that automatically dumps the air for you
Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
fyi, my knight uses a 3 leg powergear hydraulic with auto.

Spent some time getting to know this system at first. There is a procedure to set what is "Level" very important.

When I hit auto, it does dump the air, but doesn't wait for the coach to settle before going thru it's thing. It also lowered the rear jacks first... don't know why, but it's wrong. And the coach always ends up way up in the air.

I always level manually. Shut down the engine, hit the air dump, then I stroke the brake pedal till she's all the way down, 45 psi or less.
Front jack first (note you have to hold the manual button 5 or 6 seconds until the light comes on) to raise the front maybe 2"
Both rears until they hit the ground, depending on how level the site isn't.
Low side rear to level the back, then touchup if it ain't quite perfect.
I like to keep her as low as possible.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
On my 07 Dip you must first dump the air manually & then choose either Man. or auto. on the leveling control pad.
I am not aware of one that automatically dumps the air for you
On my 2010 Itasca Journey Express, the auto level button dumps the air, then levels the coach.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #5

leveling

Bob MrV is correct - on my 06 Diplomat You block the tires so after you let the air out the rig won't move-- then dump air--- then i manually set the front legs first---it's suppose to be better on the windshield----then set the low side rear---last bring down the other rear leg just enough to be on the ground for support!!!! It seems that AUTO does it backwards and causes a lot of windshields to crack from stress using AUTO!!!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
I dump manually, the let the auto setting do the rest. On my unit the front jack extends first like it's supposed to.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

Hey Ron glad in 09 that Monaco got the auto leveling right---wish someone would tell the rest of us how to reset the auto leveling to do it correctly,if in fact it can be reset!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I always dump the air first then hit auto level. The front leg always comes down first then the rears.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
JimM... thanks. What you described makes sense to me. I'll try your method. One other thing though, have you ever noticed the PowerGear Hydraulic Tank overflowing, I think it's happening when the jacks are retracting. Mine's done it twice now. Once about two weeks ago when I tried leveling it automatically, and it didn't do a good job so I retracted the jacks and then leveled it manually. Then again a couple of days ago with the same situation, didn't level properly in AUTO so I retracted and re-leveled Manually. It never seems to do it when I retract them normally after I've been parked for awhile and retract them to get underway. It only seems to do it when I'm messing with them just after I've extended them then retracted immediately.

When it happens it appears to come out of the fill cap vent hole. The tank is NOT overfilled. If anything it's a little on the low side.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote