Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

06 sig will not start

Just changed out relay for DC interior light problem, lights back on, however there is not enough battery power to start MH or generator. Booster switch does nothing, 11.5 volts only. Took batteries out and had tested, they are good. Help, where do I look next? With booster switch not helping, must be a relay somewhere not working??? Thanks Fred
Andrewmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Did you re-charge thoses batteries? 11.5 volts is low. Does the engine roll at all or try? Have someone turn the key to start it and see if you can hear the solenoid click on the starter. Battery disconnect switch? Is 12 VDC passing through the switch?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Motor and gen turns but not enough juice. Dash volt meter reads 11.5, however battery shop says batteries have good cold crank power. My volt meter reads 15,59 on batteries house bats are new, booster switch does not help at all. Where is the starter relay?both battery disconnects switches are on. Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Something is really wrong there if you are reading 15.59 VDC on your start batteries! The voltage should not be that high. If both engines's are rolling over and trying to start you don't have a reley problem, the problem is with your batteries and or connections at the batteries. Check all connections good and take your meter and re-read your battery voltage and make sure you are on the VDC scale on your meter. Make sure if you had the batteries out that you have hooked everything back up correctly. Sounds like you bave a battery problem or a bad connection. Feel for warm battery cables after trying to start it and you will be close to a bad connection if the wire is warm.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #5

I'm by myself, I can start it from the rear, standing by the back right panel looking at the big boy battery isolator relay, what do I check for?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You need to go back to your battery compartment and re-take a voltage reading on the chassis batteries first and re-read post#4.
Taking another guess here as with my Coach my gen-set starts off my house batteries not the chassis batteries and the boost switch connects both the chassis and the house batteries together.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Coach batteries that low will take a few minutes of boost to get them to possibly work - make sure you follow directions for boosting battery ie don't hold boost very long at a time. Suggest you jump start generator & or coach - safest way would be to charge coach batteries with battery charger Good luck
Dan92039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Andrew, I didn't want you to think I was dumping you but I just recieved a call from work and I have to go in early, good luck today and be careful, if those readings are right on your batteries something is really wrong.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #9

Well it started, but I don't feel good about it! I reinstalled bats, cleaned cables, took ground off cleaned and tightened, really saw no problems. Held booster switch down for 30 sec 4 times, tried to start gen, same thing , no juice, looked at volts and it showed 12 v, turned key MH motor started. Then gen started. ???????we will see if it starts next wk?thanks for all help
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Pale horse, I thought he gen started off house bats also, I called Monaco tech , he said on the sig the gen starts off chassis bats, he also said my problem sounded like a heavy voltage wire problem, loose etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
YC1

Removing and reinstalling batteries may have cured the problem. Simply start the generator and then measure the voltage directly on the batteries.
Shut it off and start the engine and do the same measurement. If you are getting 13.5 or more things are fine.
Those batteries definitely need to be fully charged so going back in a week you may find them not able to start the coach. At 11. something they are very depleted.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

That's what has me confused, battery shop said they were not depleted ! But yet they would not turn the motor over hardly. Once I put the bats back in, I thought it would take less volts to start the gen so I tried it first and it would not turn over, in frustration I turned the ignition key and low and behold she turned over with gusto and fired up !!!! Let it run ain or two and gen fired up.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I am glad you got her running Andrew and I hope your problems are solved. In all the cleaning and tightening thing up you might of solved your bad connection. Let hope so.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #14

Just a quick note

On my rig in order to use the Boost bat switch the Salesman switch by the door has to be ON!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote