RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Making the switch from winny to Monaco. Sure is a nice coach to drive. We have enjoyed the Journey but wanted a new coach and loved this one. Bought it from Buddy Gregg in TN. Anyone have the monaco extended service plan ? Not sure if i want to add that or not. Good and Bad I guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Making the switch from winny to Monaco. Sure is a nice coach to drive. We have enjoyed the Journey but wanted a new coach and loved this one. Bought it from Buddy Gregg in TN. Anyone have the monaco extended service plan ? Not sure if i want to add that or not. Good and Bad I guess.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi UPS 34-

Welcome to the Monaco side of irv2.com. We're really glad to have you here and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures in the new coach. Enjoy the forums and post often, and let me know when you want to switch your 'tag' over to the Monaco Forum.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #4

I did the same thing. Traded an 03 Journey for an 06 Camelot. Like you I enjoyed the Journey, but my wife fell in love with the four slide outs...and I liked the extra space also.

I didn't get an extended service plan, but then I don't buy them for any products. We purchased from LazyDays in Florida and had problems with their service department completing our punch list in a timely manner.

I highly recommend the Wildwood, FL Monaco repair facility for warranty items if you get down that way. Our Coach is now two years old and we are very happy with it.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

Welcome to the "Camelot Club". Had mine for 9 months now and love it. Only had a few minor problems. None that kept me off the road (windshield, slide motor and dash radio). I did not get the extended service plan, never do. What floorplan did you get?

Carl
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Do NOT buy it when you buy the rig. Wait until just before your first year is up...(you must also be under 12,000 miles)

you must buy the Monaco coverage from a Monaco dealer - but you can also shop around for it before you buy it.
We decided to buy it -but we also got a great price on it!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #7

Welcome to RV2!! Heh heh, we switched for the 4 slides too!! We did opt for the Monaco extended warranty, just in case. Past experiences told me to go with one, and while I could have gone with an off-the-shelf insurance company, I thought that I'd rather pay a little more and get one from the guys who built my RV, no muss, no fuss.

Personally, I hope I never ever need it
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey MonacoMama,

Where did you guys find the best deal and what did you end up paying?

2007 Diplomat PDQ 40
Socal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
SoCal... bought from my dealer (name starts with a De and has two locations ... grass Valley & indiana! )...set it up just before we left for Oregon...so don't quote me but it seems that it was near 2500 for 7 yrs... I can have Sacs check amount when he gets home...probably mid week next week...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I bought the "Monaco service plan", but I didn't buy it through a Monaco dealer. My dealer wanted something like $3500 for it. DeMartino would sell it to me for around $2200. I ended up buying the very same plan, administered by the same people who administer the Monaco Plan - Prizm Administrators - for $1255 on the internet from Scott Stevens of RVProtection.net. There are no differences between the plan I got and the Monaco Plan, except for the Monaco name on the top of the contract.

Remember that the price is relative to the coverages and the value of the coach. The prices above were for a 7-year/50,000 mile plan with a $200 ded. on a Diplomat. (More miles and less ded. would cost more, as would coverage for a Camelot vs. a Diplomat.) If you want the plan with the Monaco label on it, I'd guess DeMartino probably has the best price.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #11

Congratulations, we love our 2006 Camelot but it has been a real trial shaking it down.

You might check your ISL 400 engine to ensure that you have an input fuel line support bracket. Either the input fuel line or the fittings have been cracking, spewing high pressure diesel fuel all over your engine compartment, including your very hot exhaust system. This has happened to 3 members on the MCOA forum and a couple Holiday Rambler owners.

Raise your engine compartment cover, look on the top right side of the engine for a steel fuel line that runs from the fuel pump forward to a cylinder shaped fuel "rail" that feeds the injector steel lines. Half way forward on the inlet line you should see a support bracket that attaches to the engine on left side and grips the fuel input line on the right side. If you do not have a bracket, schedule yourself with a Cummins shop and have it put on for safetys sake.

Once the crack develops, you would be constantly bathing the engine compartment with fuel, nuff said. We had pulled off the road at the Elks club in Red Bluff and found a steady stream of fuel falling out of our engine. Shut it off for about an hour to cool down then moved to a camp site and it took 3 days for Cummins in Redding to get the support bracket and replace it and the cracked fitting, no charge.

This is a known failure point on the ISL 400 and Cummins has issued a recall for engines on school buses. The input fuel line is under 2,800 lbs of pressure! If you do develop a leak, it is best to have a trained engine tech troubleshoot the leak as a high pressure stream can damage your body.

The part should cost no more than $45, or with enough talking Cummins might (and should)replace it under warranty.

Also make sure you examine your side CAC radiator orange grommets for leaks, and carbon marks as more than one of these large air cooling beasts have failed on the newer coaches. We could hear a hissing noise with engine running, and found one grommet failed (blown out) and one startng to fail. The turbo that feeds air to CAC had also failed ($7K repairs under warranty).

I think they tried to improve the windsheild design and support for the 2007, but BE careful. Excessive leveling conditions or high uneven curbs can cause the one piece windsheild to crack (usually on top in corners, lower two corners for us). Now on our 3rd windsheild under warranty, the replacement process is not fun!

Welcome to Camelot, hope you have far less gremlins than we did. Overall, our coach has performed very nicely for 20K miles and Monaco has worked with us to fix all the problems.

Because of the extent of these failures we bought a Monaco extended warranty from DeMartini.

Good Luck and Happy Trails,

jimlawman

jimlawman is offline   Reply With Quote