RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

07 Camelot Overheating - Continued

There are several threads regarding engine overheating and here is an update on my saga regarding an ongoing issue with a Cummins ISL 400 powered 07 Camelot. The coach first experienced overheating on our maiden cruise in May of 2015. Being new to the game I did some research learned more about what I didn’t know (with help from some on this forum i might add) and vowed to downshift and maintain engine rpm. The problem continued to manifest itself whenever climbing while towing and some when not towing if the ambient temperature was above 80 deg. In an effort to address the issue I had Cummins NW clean the radiator, replace the thermostat, & perform routine scheduled service. Because of this forum, I became aware of Performance Engineering in Veneta OR. Unfortunately Jim and Scott were relocating their shop and i had to wait some time. Finally in May of this year once the relo was complete they tackled the issue. SEI installed the Thermo Valve, repaired/installed baffling around the radiator and performed tests to confirming flow rates and psi were at or above spec. Short story, problem not resolved and the current theory is that a new radiator will resolve the issue. Dropped it off with Jim this AM, stay tuned...

Andersku is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not sure what the Thermo Valve is?

I'm guessing they have checked that your fan is speeding up when it should be? Your fan will spin while your engine is idling, but not at the speed it needs to be spinning while your climbing a grade.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm guessing the thermo valve is the wax valve???

There was a thread here a few years ago that the hydraulic lines were hooked up reverse on the valve. Swapped them and all was good.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I'm guessing the thermo valve is the wax valve???
Were they using a wax valve in'07?

I don't have one in my '08!

Bill Willard would know.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Bill Willard would know.
I have one on my 2004 but I am not sure if it's a factory install or someone added it on.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Bill Willard would know.
I thought of that when I was typing, but I put it out there anyway.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The 07 Camelot did not have a thermo valve -- The fan was electronic -- I did install a thermo(wax) valve on our 07 Camelot -- Works good -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Most of electronic controlled Cummins powered coaches came with a Sauer Danfoss electronic fan control system tied to the engine ECU. The Detroit 60 powered coaches came with the Thermo-controlled Wax valve.
When the electronic fan control fails, it goes into default mode and runs the fans at full speed. It sounds like an airplane back there with the fans making a loud roar. It will kick up a dust cloud whenever you drive down a dirt road. Many of us drove for a very long periods not even knowing the fan controller had failed.
Replacement electronic fan controllers are over $1000 and can be difficult to find. They are programmed to communicate with your specific engine ECU. The real issue is they sometimes fail again in a short time.

With the fans running at full speed it is a heavy load on the system and can actually reduce fuel mileage.
Many of us have converted to the thermo-controlled wax valve. It installs in the radiator steel coolant pipe and senses coolant temperature and increases fan speed with increased temperature. Source Engineering sells a kit with all components or you can purchase the wax valve from White House products and purchase your own fittings.

This is a link to a 14 page thread on replacing the electronic controlled valve with the wax valve.
Fan stuck wide open
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ours must work pretty good. On the hottest days it's regularly runs at 184-185. On a long incline it might get 190ish but as soon as the coast down starts it goes right back to normal.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersku View Post
There are several threads regarding engine overheating and here is an update on my saga regarding an ongoing issue with a Cummins ISL 400 powered 07 Camelot. The coach first experienced overheating on our maiden cruise in May of 2015. Being new to the game I did some research learned more about what I didn’t know (with help from some on this forum i might add) and vowed to downshift and maintain engine rpm. The problem continued to manifest itself whenever climbing while towing and some when not towing if the ambient temperature was above 80 deg. In an effort to address the issue I had Cummins NW clean the radiator, replace the thermostat, & perform routine scheduled service. Because of this forum, I became aware of Performance Engineering in Veneta OR. Unfortunately Jim and Scott were relocating their shop and i had to wait some time. Finally in May of this year once the relo was complete they tackled the issue. SEI installed the Thermo Valve, repaired/installed baffling around the radiator and performed tests to confirming flow rates and psi were at or above spec. Short story, problem not resolved and the current theory is that a new radiator will resolve the issue. Dropped it off with Jim this AM, stay tuned...

When you say Overheating, what temps were experienced?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When you say Overheating, what temps were experienced?

The Aladdin indicated 221F plus when climbing hills on Interstate 5 in southern Oregon. However, the good news update is that last week after removing the radiator Source Engineering found it blocked with debris. After the removal, clean/boil and reinstall we ran much cooler. (195max) After 4 years and multiple attempts to address the issue, we might be over the hump. Attachment 261365
Trying to attach pic of debris blockage.
I want to acknowledge Bill Willard for diagnosing this problem years ago, unfortunately the shop I took the coach to for radiator cleaning did not clean between it and charge air cooler. SE missed it the first time too, but they ultimately re$olved it.
For me, this forum and the kind individuals that contribute to it make owning a coach so much easier. Thank you to all that weighed in. I just wish I would have reached out before I installed a new kitchen faucet yesterday. Fingers crossed!

Andersku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, overheating