RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 01:05 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Referencing my installation from 2013 with the following pictures , you can get the basic idea of repositioning the OE support.

Since the bottom of the mattress shelf is hollow you must use some 1/16Ē- 1/8Ē reinforcing plates to spread the load. I was fortunate to find the aluminum cross rib under the luan to anchor two of the four mounting screws.

The 43Ē measurement from the hinge is hard to make, so I am now using the wall as a reference point. 45Ē from the wall to the ball of the support (strut) bracket on the mattress board. But since we are working with snowflakes, verify the measurement insuring the ball is in alignment with the vertical wall of the bed box.

Using the OE lift support, I had to try different angles. With the first two attempts the mattress would not stay down. I finally found the sweet spot, hence all the markings on the bed box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	186753

Name:	IMG_3425.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	186754

I will attempt to post 2 YouTube videos in the next post. I canít seem to find a way to post videos with iPad, so back to laptop. Embedded videos are so much better than links!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, Iím not having much luck embedding YouTube videos into a post.

So, Iíll just post the links. If anyone knows how to embed them in a link, by all means do so.

Before the videos is a picture from where I placed the tape measure against the wall.

Name:	Snapseed.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	186755

https://youtu.be/wiYII1chOiE

https://youtu.be/LjMJsJdAkO4

Old 12-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Sorry, Iím not having much luck embedding YouTube videos into a post.

So, Iíll just post the links. If anyone knows how to embed them in a link, by all means do so.

Before the videos is a picture from where I placed the tape measure against the wall.

Attachment 186755

https://youtu.be/wiYII1chOiE

https://youtu.be/LjMJsJdAkO4
Perfect Harry! Merry Chrismas!
Captjake1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
After struggling with this yesterday, your posts are indeed an appreciated Christmas Gift, thank you Harry!

Merry Christmas, y'all!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Wow...

What a great idea. This is exactly what we need for our Camelot. My wife cannot lift the bed without my help. I am so doing this modification, right after New Years!

Thank you for all for sharing another amazing improvement.
I hope to be able to meet you all this year in Quartzite.

Merry Christmas everyone

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The way I have it set up now, I give up a few inches of raised height to get the ease of lifting.

After looking at my own video, I see where I can move the bottom bracket closer to wall, as the support strut is not completely collapsed.

But if I use new struts, I might have to change the mounting point depth of the one on right in the video. Too deep, and bed wonít stay down or pops up over bumps. 5-10 minutes to change location of lower bracket for some fine tuning.

Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't gotten there yet, but if one chooses to have some static upward pressure on the struts (ie, easier to lift), mightn't (is that a word?) a latch or hasp of some kind be used to keep the bed down when traveling?

Slight tradeoff whichever way you go, tho.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen where the latch has been used, especially with new struts. My OE struts are starting to weaken, especially when cold. I plan to move the lower bracket inward and downward.

Like I said before, a quick procedure.

Most of us have many items that need to be stored while traveling. If you have found a nice equilibrium with the struts when stationary, but not over bumps, just store some items on the bed while traveling. Thatís what I did until the struts lost some of there force.

I struggled with lifting the bed for the first 1 1/2 years, before modifying the strut position. I dreaded storing items there, just thinking about having to lift that heavy bed. Now, and for the last 9 years, easy-peasy!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I have seen where the latch has been used, especially with new struts. My OE struts are starting to weaken, especially when cold. I plan to move the lower bracket inward and downward.

Like I said before, a quick procedure.

Most of us have many items that need to be stored while traveling. If you have found a nice equilibrium with the struts when stationary, but not over bumps, just store some items on the bed while traveling. Thatís what I did until the struts lost some of there force.

I struggled with lifting the bed for the first 1 1/2 years, before modifying the strut position. I dreaded storing items there, just thinking about having to lift that heavy bed. Now, and for the last 9 years, easy-peasy!
Got that done this morning. What a HUGE difference!
Thanks for the mod Harry!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
What struts do you guys have? mine are the ML26-160. I haven't moved them yet. It would be nice to get the first 6-12" easier going up, but my DW has a hard time closing the thing. Mine goes way up and when DW goes to pull it down, it's all she can do to get it down by herself. Maybe something less than the 160's ?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
What struts do you guys have? mine are the ML26-160. I haven't moved them yet. It would be nice to get the first 6-12" easier going up, but my DW has a hard time closing the thing. Mine goes way up and when DW goes to pull it down, it's all she can do to get it down by herself. Maybe something less than the 160's ?
Mine are 752991

Name:	20171228_205146.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	187100
Quote:
Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Mine are 752991
Attachment 187100
I think those are 23" and 135 lbs, if I check correctly. I wonder if monaco just closed their eyes and grabbed whatever was in the bin and then installed them?

I wonder what Harry has? I watched his video and my bed goes way up compared to his. Mine will knock you in the chin if you're not careful.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think those are 23" and 135 lbs, if I check correctly. I wonder if monaco just closed their eyes and grabbed whatever was in the bin and then installed them?

I wonder what Harry has? I watched his video and my bed goes way up compared to his. Mine will knock you in the chin if you're not careful.
I think I have this strut in several locations. I would need to check in the daylight to verify.
Mine used to go very high, before Harrys mod. Easy up, easy down. Not quite as much space to get under there. But still plenty to get in there.

Added: I now recognize that part number, that is the same strut used in the rear engine hatch on our rig. 140 pound force. I bought lighter ones through a company in Canada.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club

Name:	Bed support 7.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	187109