Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 04:15 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
752991 specs are 23" height and 140lb lift, while ML26-160 are 26" height and 160lb lift. As mentioned, they probably get weaker as they age (kinda like some of us ).

To get the right height and up/down force, I'm visualizing a perforated rail (or similar) with holes at various points that could be used to adjust where the brackets would locate, instead of just poking multiple holes in the bed bottom.

BTW, I found several mfgr sites that say the edge of the bed-lip should be 39" high when installing bed-lifts, but don't say why. Any clues?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I think those are 23" and 135 lbs, if I check correctly. I wonder if monaco just closed their eyes and grabbed whatever was in the bin and then installed them?

I wonder what Harry has? I watched his video and my bed goes way up compared to his. Mine will knock you in the chin if you're not careful.

Well Bill I think your right, Monaco did just pick up anything on the shelf, I have two different struts, never noticed before, I just assumed. One is 23” 120lb and the other is 28”, 140lb!
Another project.
Wonder if vendors at QZ would have struts!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Well Bill I think your right, Monaco did just pick up anything on the shelf, I have two different struts, never noticed before, I just assumed. One is 23” 120lb and the other is 28”, 140lb!
Another project.
At least mine match!!! lol
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Another project.
I have 1 extra 140# strut. I changed my engine hatch out to the lighter ones.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Perry, what is the part number for the 28” strut?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I have 1 extra 140# strut. I changed my engine hatch out to the lighter ones.

John sounds good, I’ll be out at Coach tomorrow I’ll take a look see exactly what I have.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Perry, what is the part number for the 28” strut?

Harry I’ll be at coach tomorrow. Let you know. I’m helping my good friend keep his business moving since his chemo treatments. Dyno’d two motors today, one tomorrow morning.
You like this one motor, an old Dan Gurny down draft Weber V8 for a vintage Indy car.
Coach coming home next week so I can service the baby!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #36

Ok didn’t get to this task yet, I did check again though when filling tranny fluid from bedroom. The struts are two different ones for sure. Well something to laugh about at QZ.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Referencing my installation from 2013 with the following pictures , you can get the basic idea of repositioning the OE support.

Since the bottom of the mattress shelf is hollow you must use some 1/16”- 1/8” reinforcing plates to spread the load. I was fortunate to find the aluminum cross rib under the luan to anchor two of the four mounting screws.

The 43” measurement from the hinge is hard to make, so I am now using the wall as a reference point. 45” from the wall to the ball of the support (strut) bracket on the mattress board. But since we are working with snowflakes, verify the measurement insuring the ball is in alignment with the vertical wall of the bed box.

Using the OE lift support, I had to try different angles. With the first two attempts the mattress would not stay down. I finally found the sweet spot, hence all the markings on the bed box.

Attachment 186753

Attachment 186754

I will attempt to post 2 YouTube videos in the next post. I can’t seem to find a way to post videos with iPad, so back to laptop. Embedded videos are so much better than links!
Harry,

The wall of the bed base frame is hollow on my coach. It has luan on both sides of the framing and carpet attached to the inside and out. I can't just attach the bracket to the wall without some modifications. From your second picture, your lower bracket is mounted directly to the bed frame wall. Maybe you got lucky and hit a framing member??

Currently my bracket on the bed frame is mounted on the top rail. When the bed is down, the shock is nearly horizontal, no upward force.

I'll need to either make up some sheet metal plates to pick up a framing member inside the wall or I'll have to take the wall apart and put some additional framing in.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Bringing this thread back again because I still have a question...

While waiting for parts for the frig-project to come in, I finally got another chance to work on installing the bed-struts.

Both originals had pulled out because they were just screwed to the bed underside luan paneling (well, duh!). There was also one strut rolling around under the bed, which was a 4455QK M26-145 (I believe that stands for 26" and 145lb).

The replacements I recently bought were M26-160. After moving the brackets to a more-secure mount on the underside, I installed one strut as a test for length and thrust.

Fail! I could barely force the bed to move, and it also bent the knob on the lower bracket. Obviously these struts are too strong. Now, I suppose I could just keep buying struts til I get some that works, but I'm too cheap.

So my question is:
What strength struts do y'all have under your bed?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, and where are the brackets (especially the bottom one) mounted?

I showed the Happycarz youtube videos to wife and she said she wants ours to be exactly like his. His bottom mount location wasn't listed (unless I missed it).
Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #40
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, these are the numbers on my bed struts. Made by Stabilus, Model Lift-O-Matic, 752991-090/07. No length or pressure noted.
On Edit: My bottom mounts are attached tot the side of the bed frame and seem solid. I wonder if having solid cherry wood makes a difference in strength.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Bob. That makes them 23" and 140lb. That's what I had on my Endeavor, and they worked fine. I now have 26" and 160lb, maybe too much. That's why I'm trying to find out what others have.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
My bed frame is hollow so mounting the support bracket was going to be a challenge. I used some sheet metal mounted inside bed frame to solve the mounting location issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5872.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	207448

I went with longer struts as I wanted the bed to raise up a little more. They are 31" long and about 90 lbs. Right on the edge of not being strong enough, but they work. If they do weaken with age, I may have to replace these with a little more strength. If we had a king mattress (heavier than our queen), you'd need something stronger.

After I finished this project, I happen to stumble upon a company that will custom make the struts for you, and from my preliminary research, looked pretty reasonable, price wise.

www.bansbach.com