RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #29
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
OP can install a new in-dash monitor for the Aladdin system (and backup camera) but the Kenwood display (head unit) also controls the CD Changer and Navigation/Sirius (if he has those options).

I would spend the $40 to have the security code cleared by Kenwood. Even if he wants to replace/upgrade the unit, it would be more valuable for resale if the unit is not locked.

@OP. If you want to ditch the Kenwood and not spend any money on it, PM me and I'll take it (and cover the for shipping).
Mike: You are right about spending the $40 + to have it fixed. For one thing, another monitor doesn't quite fit like this one that flips and it is out of the way when you are not using it. I'm afraid with another monitor when getting in and out of the driver seat, will make it easy to get hit and break.
Do you know how easy/difficult it would be to take it out? I have not taken one out.
Thank you all for your valuable inputs!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Mike: You are right about spending the $40 + to have it fixed. For one thing, another monitor doesn't quite fit like this one that flips and it is out of the way when you are not using it. I'm afraid with another monitor when getting in and out of the driver seat, will make it easy to get hit and break.
Do you know how easy/difficult it would be to take it out? I have not taken one out.
Thank you all for your valuable inputs!
I removed mine (a KVT-M700 model) when I had the dash panels Hydro-Dipped. It was not too hard (assuming you have the removable panel in the dash above the steering wheel so you can reach inside and take the nuts of the back of panel retaining machine screws).

Since I was removing all panels and strippig out the switches and gauges to have them refinished, I removed more components (in the photo) than you would have to. There should be plenty of wire so you don't need to unplug any switches. If your coach is like mine.

The unit slides out toward the interior direction. There is a bracket on the back that supports it (which in my coach is like a pipe strap screwed to a wood block which is glued to the underside of dash).

The plastic Kenwood trim piece that surrounds the opening just pops off. On my Kenwood they have these metal tabs that are pried upright to hold the unit into the dash opening. These tabs need to be pushed back to flush/flat so the unit can slide through the opening.

I removed the six nuts that hold the panel into the dashboard and then I could pull the Kenwood out while still attached to the dash panel. Once it is out far enough you can push the metal tabs flush (pop off the plastic nose trim) and remove the unit from the rear side of panel.

EDIT. Come to think of it, the plastic nose trim doesn't need to come off. I think mine just popped off during handling. Its the tabs that keep it from pulling out of the opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenwood monitor mounting.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	211447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver_dash panels removed - Kenowwd monitor location.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	211449  

Name:	Kenwood side view.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	211450  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #31
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I removed mine (a KVT-M700 model) when I had the dash panels Hydro-Dipped. It was not too hard (assuming you have the removable panel in the dash above the steering wheel so you can reach inside and take the nuts of the back of panel retaining machine screws).

Since I was removing all panels and strippig out the switches and gauges to have them refinished, I removed more components (in the photo) than you would have to. There should be plenty of wire so you don't need to unplug any switches. If your coach is like mine.

The unit slides out toward the interior direction. There is a bracket on the back that supports it (which in my coach is like a pipe strap screwed to a wood block which is glued to the underside of dash).

The plastic Kenwood trim piece that surrounds the opening just pops off. On my Kenwood they have these metal tabs that are pried upright to hold the unit into the dash opening. These tabs need to be pushed back to flush/flat so the unit can slide through the opening.

I removed the six nuts that hold the panel into the dashboard and then I could pull the Kenwood out while still attached to the dash panel. Once it is out far enough you can push the metal tabs flush (pop off the plastic nose trim) and remove the unit from the rear side of panel.

EDIT. Come to think of it, the plastic nose trim doesn't need to come off. I think mine just popped off during handling. Its the tabs that keep it from pulling out of the opening.
Thank you very much, Mike, for the detailed explanation and the pictures. I'm going to be out of town for a couple of weeks. I will tackle it when I return.

Regards,
Old 09-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #32
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Just an Update

I took the unit out and sent it in to Kenwood Service Center (United Radio in Syracuse, NY). They called and also emailed me. This is what they said:

"We no longer have the necessary accessories to do the work needed. We would need the install cables and brain box sent to us in order to continue. "

I have to practically take the whole dash out in order to get the cables out.

I'm wondering, if there is a newer replacement unit, it doesn't have to be Kenwood. One that would simply allow me view the cameras and the text messages from Aladdin. Has anyone replaced this? If so, with what?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
This one may be a good replacement candidate.
It has a flip up display screen, a rear RCA video input (for Aladdin) and a separate rear view camera input in case you want that later. Also, its the same dash opening size and doesn't break the bank at under $200.

I don't know if the unit will "auto switch" to Aladdin display (which includes showing the side mounted and rear camera) automatically like the Kenwood does, or if you would need to push a button to switch to rear RCA input each time. If your wanting that you can read through the manual or ask the seller.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VX3...8.html?tp=5684
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Someone put 10" Lilliput monitor in, I didn't see any photos of the install. It was just a monitor.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #35
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This one may be a good replacement candidate.
It has a flip up display screen, a rear RCA video input (for Aladdin) and a separate rear view camera input in case you want that later. Also, its the same dash opening size and doesn't break the bank at under $200.

I don't know if the unit will "auto switch" to Aladdin display (which includes showing the side mounted and rear camera) automatically like the Kenwood does, or if you would need to push a button to switch to rear RCA input each time. If your wanting that you can read through the manual or ask the seller.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VX3...8.html?tp=5684
That is awesome, Mike! I very much appreciate the input. It is definitely worth doing. Did you try this, or you know of someone who has done it? Just curious.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
That is awesome, Mike! I very much appreciate the input. It is definitely worth doing. Did you try this, or you know of someone who has done it? Just curious.
No, my Kenwood is still working.
I don't know anyone that used that specific Jensen unit. I just looked around for a unit for you that would fit the dash openg and accept external video (Aladdin) source. There are probably other units on that Crutchfield site that would also work.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #37
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
No, my Kenwood is still working.
I don't know anyone that used that specific Jensen unit. I just looked around for a unit for you that would fit the dash openg and accept external video (Aladdin) source. There are probably other units on that Crutchfield site that would also work.
I will definitely give that a try and report back.
Thanks, again, Mike!
regards to all.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #38
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Just ordered the Jensen VX3518 from Crutchfield. We'll see how it works.

Thanks, Mike, for suggesting it.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Post back how it works.

Subscribed
Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #40
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Post back how it works.

Subscribed
Sure will. Thanks
Old 10-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #41
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Update

I just had an Auto Accessory shop install the Jensen, paid about $250 for the installation. While it doesn't support all the features that the old Kenwood did, it works for the features I'm interested in like side, rear view cameras, and some of the features of the Aladdin.
I'm including some pictures what what was taken out to install the Jensen.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2753.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	221565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2754.jpg
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	221566  

Name:	IMG_2755.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	221567  
Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you finally got it. You're going to have an awesome coach when you get all this straight.

vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote