Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

110 outlet in eng comp

My 03 dynasty has a duplex 110 volt outlet box on driver side wall of eng compartment. It has what looks like plug not plugged in for engine block heater? I tried to plug the battery charger in to top off the engine batteries before I go on the road but it does not work. I tried both the block and engine switches on the dash but no. I tried the key and still no go. I checked all the 110 breakers I could find and all good. Any ideas???
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

It is primarily for the engine block heater. Were you plugged into shore power? Should be hot when on shore/generator power.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

I have the same outlet at the same location, and it's only hot when using the generator or on shore power as mentioned. It's not wired to the invertor.

Mine is also controlled by a 20amp breaker in the bedroom cabinet and not a switch on the dash.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same outlet on my 2002 Windsor. There is a breaker on the EMS panel for the Block heater and a 12 volt toggle type switch on the drivers side panel.

On my coach (and yours may be the same way) there is a small electrical box mounted behind the EMS panel, the only way to see it is to take the cover off the panel and take the EMS circuit board out. This small box holds 2 12 volt to 120 volt relays, one is for the water heater and the other is for the block heater. When the block heater is plugged in to the 120 volt circuit there will be no power until you hit the 12 volt switch on the drivers side panel. You have to be running your generator or be on shore power for it to work.

I found the small box when I had to replace my EMS board and then requested a wiring diagram from Monaco as to what it was.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

So I do not know what or where the ems panel is. I was on 50 amp shore power the light on dash switch comes on just no power at outlet
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an EMS system it will be part of the main circuit breaker panel. EMS (Energy Management System) controls/sheds load if you are hooked to a 30 amp shore power. Part of this system includes a display showing whether you are on a 50 amp, generator, or 30 amp power supply along with amps being used. My system is made by Intellitec.

If you are hooked to shore power and the 12 volt engine block heater switch is on check to see if the breaker is on. If the breaker is on it should be passing power, you may have to check it with a meter. If it is passing power then there may be an issue with the 12 volt relay I mentioned before. The relay gets 12 volt via the toggle switch and closes the 120 volt circuit energizing the system.

Attached is a wiring diagram for my 2002 Windsor which should be similar to your Dynasty. The block heater system is shown in the upper center portion of the schematic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 120 Volt wiring diagram.pdf (97.3 KB, 40 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
That outlet in my coach is dead until I trip the switch on the dash for 'block heat' (as stated above, shore power or generator). I took my a long time to figure that one out...
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote