Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
110 v problem

I have an old 1993 Dynasty that I'm gradually restoring. Just finished swapping in a new (to me) 8.3 Cummins and am sorting out the other issues. One that is particularly annoying is loss of 110 power at the recepticle that the fridge plus in to. Its located in the outside panel towards the bottom of the fridge. I have power coming out of the breaker, found in the rear of the coach above the bed, but by the time I get to the plug in...nothing.

I don't believe it goes through a GFI breaker anywhere, as its on its own circuit in the panel. However, its buried from the panel to the fridge area and I'm guessing I may just have a broken line somewhere in there.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or insight?

thanks

toni
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #2

I'm guessing you have a wire coming from a breaker which is hot. It then disappears and when it reappears there is no power to it.

Could it be the hot wire goes somewhere else? Could it be the "cold" wire is a neutral from some appliance? If you through the breaker on the hot wire, does anything else go off?

Another common thing is that the wires will vibrate loose and off of the outlet. Take it out and check to see that everything is still together.

Gotta be something simple. Good luck.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
The plug is located in the compartment access on the outside there for it's outside any plug that is outside will be GFIC protected. check all of the GFIC plugs even unhook them and test the refer wire chances are that will be the issue
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a long shot guess but is there any chance that the outlet runs off of an inverter? If you have the inverter shut down and it does, you would have no power at that outlet.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 4 possible issues.

1: It really does run through a GFCI, there is no reason for it to do so in my mind but many Motor Homes are wired that way.

2: The previous reply suggested an inverter. My comment above applies here too.. We wired my inverter specifically to NOT power the fridge (I can if I wish but I don't often wish), manual switch)

3: bad connection. Most RV outlets are .. Well not the highest quality in my not very humble opinion IF this is not the first outlet on the chain, even if it is, the STAB the wire in the hole type connectors suck big time, You may just need to replace one or more outlets.

4: Broken wire, or bad connection in a junction box

5: Screw loose.. I have found many RVers have a few screws loose.. One of the screws in my power distribution panel (Breaker box) took over TWO full turns before it tightened down and more to become snug.

NOTE: before attackind loose screws in tha box UNPLUG and/or shut off generator. Else the new light in your motor home may be YOU.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your 1993 is wired like our 1995, then the plug for the refrigerator does not work from the inverter. It only works on shore power and/or generator. Also, it could be fed from another receptacle that is GFI, and possibly tripped. Also check, an often overlooked receptacle is underneath the propane stove, which provides power for the igniter for the burners. It may be important if the refrigerator receptacle is fed from there.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
YC1

Does the outlet have two holes? If so, check both outlets. On mine, one is for shoreline/generator and the other is from the inverter. Of course both should be hot if on shoreline but if one is and one isn't then you know you have two different paths.

On mine, I can plug my ice maker into the inverter outlet and have ice when boondocking.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Here's what I know so far. There is breaker in the power box designated as the fridge. Seems to be a circuit of its own, or why mark it that way?

I pulled the wires from the breaker; obviously one neutral and another that is hot, when on shore power or generator. My fridge will not operate on the inverter..never has.

I disassembled the box in the outside panel, where the fridge actually plugs in. Both sides of the box were dead and when I took it apart, the wires by themselves are dead.

I've looked at every gfi plug I can find. As you all know, there are several. I did miss the one under the stove, which I'll check tomorrow.

I haven't disassembled each gfi breaker, but have re-set them all and have power in all, in both sides of the box.

I'm leaning to a wire being broken simply because I can't find anything else. If that's the case, I believe I will simply have to run a new circuit since I have NO idea where that particular wire goes when it leaves the breaker box.

I'll double check the gfi breakers and see what I can find.

Thanks again. Very frustrating.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Plug a tester in to each GFIC and turn the fridge breaker off and see which GFIC turns off
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
The plug is located in the compartment access on the outside there for it's outside any plug that is outside will be GFIC protected. check all of the GFIC plugs even unhook them and test the refer wire chances are that will be the issue
I agree this is the way mine is set up from factory on a GFI in outside access compartment for fridge. Check to see if yours is.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I know Monaco has changed the way they do things over the years but on my 06 there are a number of junction boxes in the 110 circuits. On mine I have found some above the water heater. If you know a good electrician he have a circuit tracer. It is a tone generator that is connected to the wires and then a detector is run walls to see were the wires run. Not sure how this will work in a motor home but it might be worth a try.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I included Junction boxes or "up-line outlets" I will make a repete suggestion but with a change.

The person who suggested plugging a tester into each GFCI.

Good plan, only change GFCI to "OUTLET"

If the firdge is on a daisy chain (Mine is, in fact this computer is on the same breaker/chain) then you may find the outlet that is a problem or at the least narrow it down, that way

Once you know what outlet(s) other than the fridge are on that breaker, And what one are/are not live, look for a junction box between the live and dead ones.

Also.. I have heard of GFCI outlets in the most unsuual places, all but hidden,, Entering at night, lights off, and looking for the little red star may help find those.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
YC1

It sounds normal that your refer never did work on inverter. When you need inverter you generally change the refer to propane. However, since I have an ice maker there is a circuit to supply voltage to that via the inverter.

This won't help a lot but may offer some encouragement. It does not look like there is a gfci inline with my refer. Chasing those wires can be a pain. I would remove the wire from the circuit breaker, reinsert it carefully to make sure I didn't tighten down on the insulation instead of the wire.

A fox and hound might help must most weekenders don't have one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 120V Block Diagram.pdf (104.2 KB, 44 views)

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It sounds normal that your refer never did work on inverter. When you need inverter you generally change the refer to propane. However, since I have an ice maker there is a circuit to supply voltage to that via the inverter.
Good point....unless you have a residential refrig with no propane and you are running with your generator off, then the outlet would need to have voltage supplied through the inverter from the battery bank.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote