Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

12 v, electrical problems

new to the forum, hope I do not step on toes?? here goes 2002 holiday rambler Neptune, los of 12 volt power to slides,water pump, capt, chairs, galley lights, have checked all fuses,relays,solenoids,ground connections, power connections,there is no 12 volt disconnect solenoid, when the galley lights are on dim, and water pump or any amp draw is applied the lights go out all together, so what am I missing, batts are up all terminals clean, have jumpered main disconnects,no solution, must be missing something
Tin Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Sounds like a battery issue. A 12v battery at 12volts is close to dead. Battery fully charged should read 12.6-7 when not under load or input.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, I agree with battery problem or charging system if lights start to dim.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Indian View Post
new to the forum, hope I do not step on toes?? here goes 2002 holiday rambler Neptune, los of 12 volt power to slides,water pump, capt, chairs, galley lights, have checked all fuses,relays,solenoids,ground connections, power connections,there is no 12 volt disconnect solenoid, when the galley lights are on dim, and water pump or any amp draw is applied the lights go out all together, so what am I missing, batts are up all terminals clean, have jumpered main disconnects,no solution, must be missing something
No expert here but sounds like might be a salesman switch issue. When any load is put on it the power drops out. If you're not familiar with that term it's the battery disconnect. There's a switch at the front door that controls a relay in the front run bay outside under driver's seat. Find relay and check voltage on both lugs with a load on it and see if voltage is dropping out. Lots of folks on here just move the lugs together and eliminate the relay ending the problem.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
He said there is no 12 volt disconnect solenoid, so I think we can rule out the 'salesman switch'.
If you have a 'battery boost' switch try pressing and holding that while turning on lights and such. If the problem goes away then it's most likely an issue with the house battery(s). The battery boost switch is most likely on the dash and it's label could be different, but it's a switch that connects the house and chassis batteries together - basically 'jumping' one set of batteries from the other.
I agree that it sounds like a dead or dying battery. It might have a surface charge that you can read with a meter, but isn't strong enough to do any actual work.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Indian View Post
1st, Please use periods and paragraphs in your writing. Lots of people will not read a post written your way.

Now, disconnect your batteries. Use a volt meter to check the voltage. It needs to be 12.6 when fully charged. Take you batteries to an auto parts store and have them Load tested.

Also How do you know there is no battery disconnect relay? Pull you battery Disconnect switch and check the wire size. 12 ga wire there and you have a relay. Battery cable size wire and you don't have a disconnect rely. My money is on a relay. Your battery disconnect switch must be ON or IN-USE to charge the batteries.

Be sure you have 120 volts to your converter. Disconnect the battery cable from the converter and check for 12 volts or more output from the converter.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #7

Tin Indian-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Send me a private message that includes your e-mail address. I'll send a copy of a 2004 Neptune diagram set to that e-mail address. To send a private message, click on my name ("l1v3fr33ord1") in the yellow box to the left. This will pop down a menu. Select "Send a private message to..." Do not put your e-mail address in a post (that is, here)- you don't want spammers to get ahold of it.

As others have mentioned, chances are high it's a house battery bank or battery disconnect switch problem. That's because some of the loads you mention do not go through the BATTERY (a.k.a., "salesman) switch. Do the steps go in and out normally? If so, the chassis battery is probably OK.

How long have you had the coach?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

Have you physically cleaned house ground to frame ,go to problem for 12v issues. +1 on looking closer for solenoid do you have a switch near entry that turns power on and off for coach.When you said you jumpered disconnect ,I assumed it was a hand switch.
You could try jumper cables with coach battery running "as long as they are together" or use a car just in case boost relay is inoperable to see if batteries are subpar.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a classic low 12 volts problem.

What is the water level in your batteries?

How old are the batteries and how many batteries do you have?

When you use a digital voltmeter on the battery terminals what voltage are you seeing with no load?

Have you used a hydrometer to test each battery?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
YC1

Start at the battery with the voltmeter.

Then turn on lights, pumps, etc. IF the voltage stays close to 12.5 then the problem is further down the line.

IF the voltage sinks right at the battery then you need to replace the battery assuming it is getting charged properly.

------------------------------------------------------------

IF the voltage at the battery is good you need to clean the terminals and follow the negative leads to the chassis and take them off and clean them.

RE-test:

If issue persists then you need to follow the positive leads and clean and tighten them as well.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, problem, problems