Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
12 Volt Cutoff

I Have 2008 Dynasty, In Storage, I Have Had It Plugged into 50 AMP Source entire Time, However I Did Shut Off The 12 Volt Switch At Passenger Side, I went to start it today, After hitting switch, I CANNOT Get any 12 Volt power in Coach . I ASSUMED, I Would still be charging 12 Volt System Batteries By being Plugged in to Outside power, AM I Wrong in this assumption??.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

For what it's worth, I have used the switch to kill 12 VDC to the coach while equalizing the batteries many times, so I know that it doesn't prevent charging on our coach.

The relay that the switch controls may well have failed. I have seen many posts over the years reporting that.

You didn't turn off the battery disconnect switch back by the batteries, did you?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
12 Volt Cutoff

Thanks Dave For Your Info,
I Did find the Postings you spoke of, Guess I will need to Order New Cutoff.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

Before ordering a new relay, I would first 1) thump it gently with a hammer to see if it's stuck, and 2) wire around it to see if it's really the problem. You can easily wire around it by either removing the two heavy cables on the relay and bolting them together or connecting a short battery cable between the two big lugs on the relay. I lot of guys to one of those as a permanent fix, which disables that 12 volt power switch.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I will give that a try First, HOWEVER, I'm In Minnesota its -4 Degrees below Zero, I THINK I'll wait for a warmer day.
Thnx for your Help, These Forums are really great help!.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Just To make sure I'm on the Right Page here, The Solenoid we are discussing is the Big Boy located in Rear Electrical Compartment, CORRECT?.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Just To make sure I'm on the Right Page here, The Solenoid we are discussing is the Big Boy located in Rear Electrical Compartment, CORRECT?.
No, the Big Boy is used to tie the house and chassis batteries together.

At least on our rig, the DC cutoff relay is in the front run bay. I don't know about yours, though.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Before you order a new relay, remove it and go to pep boys or your local auto supply house. Purchase a continous duty relay of the same rating or greater. I had a similar problem and fixed it for a lot less than ordering the part from Monaco.