RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
You're both right; the chassis batts do not charge while sitting... anymore.

In years past, Monaco did have them set them up to charge together, but recently (don't know what year the switch occurred) decided to separate 'em. Don't know exactly why either, I've asked several knowledgeable Monaco-folk and got several different answers.

If you are using it fairly regularly and/or minimizing chassis-battery drains (step, electric awning, dash-radio, etc) when parked, you shouldn't experience too much issues. But then, few of us follow the 'norm' these days anyway. The various trickle-charge products out there, like the Xantrex, Intelletec, etc, work great and do what's needed in those cases.

Good luck, and le us know how it goes.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
You're both right; the chassis batts do not charge while sitting... anymore.

In years past, Monaco did have them set them up to charge together, but recently (don't know what year the switch occurred) decided to separate 'em. Don't know exactly why either, I've asked several knowledgeable Monaco-folk and got several different answers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually I believe this depends on what model coach you have. The Dynasties and above have a Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay module (BIRD) that is used in conjuction with the Big Boy relay. This set-up will allow the chassis batteries to charge from the charger when plugged into shore power, and the house batteries to charge from the alternator when the engine is running.

The Dips (Endeavors) on down, have a similar module in the front run bay that closes the Aux Start Relay (after a short time delay) when it senses that the alternator is charging the chassis 12v system. However this module is not bi-directional so there is no way to charge the chassis batteries from the charger without adding something like the Xantrex echo~charge, which does a nice job of performing this function.

Dynasties and above used to have a similar system using the Lambert Maintainer to do the job the echo~charge does. At some point in the last decade Lambert went out of business, and Monaco switched to the BIRD/Big Boy system described above.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phrog Driver:
He replied that the solenoid also prevents a drain on the chassis batteries. He was specifically talking about 2004 to 2006 Monaco coaches. My question (long time to get there) is...has anybody who has bypassed the solenoid had a problem with their chassis batteries loosing charge after a short period of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this guy was a little confused. I can't imagine how this relay would have anything to do with the chassis 12v system, as the two systms are isolated. I've read that on the newer coaches there is some circuitry associated with this relay that monitors the house 12v system and opens the relay if the voltage falls below a certain level. The idea is that this will lesson further drain on the house batteries. Maybe he was thinking of this.

Not sure how useful that function is however. First, as Kevin said, this relay only controls some of the 12V systems. Secondly, if anyone were going to leave the coach without the charger on for an extended period of time, they should turn off the main cut-off switches in the battery bay which kill almost everthing.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the clarification, Robin.

And calling the cutoff a "Salesman Switch" makes the most sense of all, since it seems to only affect some lites.

I used to have a SOB (Some Other Brand) that had one of the Intellitec BIRD relays. Drove me nuts trying to figure out why the little lite on its dash-switch would go on & off at seemingly random times, til I read the Manual (now there's a concept!). It would usually come on in the middle of the night when I wasn't about to do any investigating, and then click off during the day when I was ready to track it down. I felt like the guy that, when asked if the turn-signals were working, replied: "Yes... no... yes... no... yes... "

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
I felt like the guy that, when asked if the turn-signals were working, replied: "Yes... no... yes... no... yes... " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ron,

That's funny! It's probably old, too. But I hadn't heard it before. &lt;g&gt;
Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #20

I have a 2002 Holiday Rambler made by Monaco.

My question; when plugged-in to shore power will my house battery charger charge the house batteries when all circuits switches on the electrical panel are turned off? Or, do I have to have the main on the circuit panel switched on. A few times my house batteries were run down...after I plugged in, I seem to recall that to get the battery charger going I had to switch the main to "on". Correct? HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #21

I went through this with my Monaco shortly after I purchased it used. If your going to continue to use the conventional 80amp 12 continuoes duty seloniods that Monaco sells or the ones they instruct you to buy (napa, autozone yada, yada..), you might as well buy a case of them because they are truely not intended to do what Monaco has them set up for. If you want the real deal and never want to address the issue ever again, just buy one of these below:

This is a continuoes duty seloniod that is used in the Marine industry. Internally this seloniod is completely different and requires almost no amperage draw to pull the magnet down. These will not corrode internally like the conventional ones do. The conventional ones like Monaco uses are about 32.00 at Napa or any auto parts store, this one is about 125.00 and worth every penny of it.

It is made by Blue Sea. It is a well made Marine product. The part number is 9012 or 9012L. I bought mine at dogbyte computer. Here is the link http://dogbytecomputer.com/product_6402_Blue_Sea_System..._250_Amp_12_24V.htm l

Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Not exactly sure how yours is wired, Hemi, but if'n it's like mine ('06 Endeavor) the charger circuit is part of the inverter itself, and if that's off then everything else is off.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ronboc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ronboc
Thanks, I believe you are right...in order for the bat charger to be on, the main circuit breaker has to be turned on when the coach is plugged into shore power.

Thanks, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #24

I wonder if this is related to the problem I am having.

I've got a strange problem with house batteries in my 2004 HR Admiral. Happened while returning from 3,000 mile trip. Batteries check good by volt meter and hydro check in each cell (12 V+). They appear to be charging from motor, shorepower and generator (14+ volts), and I am religious in keeping them topped off with distilled water.
Whenever I try to start Generator or use slides the whole DC system seems to momentarily shut down, lights go out, etc. They have never given me any trouble before, it just happened suddenly.
Anybody got a clue whats wrong, how to troubleshoot? Think this is related to solinoid?? dp
Dave Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, Check your main house battery switch. Turn it on/off a couple of times. Also hit the battery switch just inside the entry door a couple of times. This may not solve your problem, but it sure is worth a try.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Think this is related to solinoid?? dp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

When the contacts start to burn from heat and erode in the continuous duty selinoid, there is a significant amperage loss on the other side of the terminal and when the load of an item such as the ac or other high amp drawn items are used, it just shuts down and wierd things start to happen with the entire 12 volt system.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anybody got a clue whats wrong, how to troubleshoot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just jump or bypass the selinoid.

P.S. Here is something that seemed odd:

When I spoke with Monaco technician after being tipped off about the marine seloniod and made aware of that many of the conventional ones fail often, he told me that as a monaco tech he is not permitted to mention aftermarket products that are better than the ones used from the factory or replacements. I asked him if he knew about the marine seloniod and he said "yes"
Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #27

Thanks for all the help. Replacing the seloniod is easy - no brainer. I'll all about boats as well and think the marine seloniod is best bet in the long run. One more odd thing is the problem seems to only exist when humidity is high (I'm in coastal Louisiana), but not when dry(the few days we get each year) That would indicate that corosion (salty environment) is playing a part as well. dp
Dave Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #28

We just got our 2002 Dynasty last month and the first time I hit the switch beside the door, all the house 12V died, never to return.

I replaced the two solenoids with the Blue Sea units and all is well. The sure sign that the solenoids are the problem is checking for 12V on each side of the large lug terminals when the switch is set to on. If the load side is dead, so is the solenoid.

The Blue Sea solenoids are rated for one million cycles. I don't think the OEM units are that quality. One thing to note: the Blue Sea solenoids are physically larger. The fit was tight on our Dynasty, but they did fit.

Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote