Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
120V PCB Panel

My 2002 Diplomat 38PST has a PCB to the right of the main breaker panel that appears to energize only certain circuits when using the inverter, presumably to avoid overloading it. The thing is I do not see any reference to this PCB on any of the schematics I have.

The reason I was looking at this is because I want to re-route the 120V feed to either the inverter/charger or the microwave circuit with the un-used washer/dryer circuit to avoid nuisance tripping. The original 1500W inverter was swapped out for a 2000W unit and I also have an echo charger hooked up to the chassis batteries, I assume this setup is pulling more Amps than originally designed for.

Any help or location for a schematic for this PCB would be appreciated.
JaM Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What`s a PCB ? William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Power Control Breaker?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
What`s a PCB ? William Willard

Printed circuit board
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Joe & Annette, I should have put the full description down, I forget not everyone knows all the engineering shorthand!

It is the typical green circuit board color with a bunch (5-6?) of 30Amp relays mounted + the control components. Probably not too complicated but a schematic would be nice rather than pulling it out and tracing each circuit.

John B.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This is the energy management system(EMS).

Your unit is wired with a 30 amp circuit going to the inverter/charger from the panel.
The inverter has it's own breakers and provides 2 outgoing circuits, one to the
microwave, and one to *almost* all the other outlets in the coach. Each of these
is controlled by a 20 amp breaker *on the inverter*, but the sum is controlled by
the 30 amp breaker that supplies the inverter itself.

I don't think the washer-dryer circuit is on the inverter.

The EMS looks at the loads on your coach and the available power, and tries to
prevent the pedestal breaker supplying the coach from tripping. If you are plugged into
30 amps, it monitors and if you start to use more than 30 amps, it starts turning off
things in order (my 34 foot sister coach to yours - HR Endeavor) uses the order
1: rear air
2: electric water heater
3: washer-dryer
4: front air
5:
6:

I think your problem is that the total of the 2 circuits on the inverter is limited by that 30 amp breaker that supplies the inverter itself
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaM Boyer View Post
My 2002 Diplomat 38PST has a PCB to the right of the main breaker panel that appears to energize only certain circuits when using the inverter, presumably to avoid overloading it. The thing is I do not see any reference to this PCB on any of the schematics I have.

The reason I was looking at this is because I want to re-route the 120V feed to either the inverter/charger or the microwave circuit with the un-used washer/dryer circuit to avoid nuisance tripping. The original 1500W inverter was swapped out for a 2000W unit and I also have an echo charger hooked up to the chassis batteries, I assume this setup is pulling more Amps than originally designed for.

If you have a Magnum Inverter you can go to the setup menu and reduce the maximum current that the charger is allowed to charge at. Often when you come off the road and plug into shore power the charger goes to full charge and that can be quite a heavy load.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaM Boyer View Post
My 2002 Diplomat 38PST has a PCB to the right of the main breaker panel...
This may be what you're looking for. Though we have different coaches, many of the systems are common to several models made in the same era.

Monaco is usually happy to send you prints if you tell them what you're looking for. In the mean time I can send you a larger version of this one since it's barely legible here given iRV2's size limitations.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all for the advice, WindsorDave I think you have what I was looking for, how can I get hold of a better printable copy? I am fairly new to this site, can you email it to me or post a link to download?

John Boyer
Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

John,

You can PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the above print via e-mail attachment. Or you can call Monaco at 541-686-8011 and give them your VIN and they'll be able to send the relevant schematics, build sheet, window sticker, etc.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Or you can call Monaco at 541-686-8011 and give them your VIN and they'll be able to send the relevant schematics, build sheet, window sticker, etc.
Is this something new? Years ago (before the bankruptcy, maybe 2008?) I tried to get wiring diagrams for my coach, and was told nothing was available.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Is this something new? Years ago (before the bankruptcy, maybe 2008?) I tried to get wiring diagrams for my coach, and was told nothing was available.
I don't know about "new", but I got a fairly complete set of schematics on CDROM for my 2003 coach in August of 2011 at no charge. Earlier this year, February, I asked for and got two schematics for the Roadmaster chassis, again at no charge. They sent those as PDF attachments via e-mail. When calling I connected to tech support and talked to them.

Monaco Coburg has been very helpful to us since purchasing a 2001 Diplomat in mid 2009 though today with our new-to-us 2003 Windsor. Never once did any of the employees show any reluctance to respond to requests for information, look up and sell parts, or otherwise provide professional, knowledgeable assistance. Not only have they been very supportive on the phone but the repair facility in Coburg has done very competent, reasonably priced work for us in their shop.

All that said, the last time we were there in September of this year, they did seem to be running with a leaner staff.

Given all that has happened in the last several years I give a lot of credit and respect to the Monaco Coburg employees who are still there, ready to help, and behaving professionally.

There had to have been a pretty good work ethic at Monaco Coburg. Even many of those who lost their jobs have rebounded while continuing to support Monaco owners. The guys at Elite Repair and Remodel and some of the techs at Cummins Northwest are good examples.

FWIW