Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have an '06 Knight and have only one 12V outlet up front. In fact, I think that is the only one in the whole rig. Doesn't seem they planned this out for the well-wired traveler.

The one I have is under the dash by the stairwell -

I added one behind the indash stereo. I just tapped into the existing outlet for power, figuring that I would use the new one instead of the existing outlet.

Is this unique to the Knights, or 2006, or is it a Monaco thing? My other coaches have been flush with 12V outlets.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have an '06 Knight and have only one 12V outlet up front. In fact, I think that is the only one in the whole rig. Doesn't seem they planned this out for the well-wired traveler.

The one I have is under the dash by the stairwell -

I added one behind the indash stereo. I just tapped into the existing outlet for power, figuring that I would use the new one instead of the existing outlet.

Is this unique to the Knights, or 2006, or is it a Monaco thing? My other coaches have been flush with 12V outlets.

--kev

Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I thought we had more... but I will have to check.

Kev... What do you have plugged in from under the dash to work off the 12V plug that you put there?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
I thought we had more... but I will have to check.

Kev... What do you have plugged in from under the dash to work off the 12V plug that you put there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Serious - I have more electronics than a Best Buy when I am driving

I have my laptop running my GPS mapping app, with the GPS puck and web cam plugged into the laptop. The laptop is plugged into the 110v inverted outlet as shown above.

For 12V, I have a Pressure Pro tire monitor plugged into the stock outlet. Plugged into the under dash outlet I have a 2-outlet adapter in which I have a 7" color monitor plugged (my stock B/W monitor is defective - hope to have it replaced next week). The other outlet has an extension with a 3-outlet adapter. In that, I have my Sirius receiver and Brake Buddy monitor. The one open outlet houses my cellphone charger when it needs it.

We are on the road again this Sunday and I will get a picture of my cockpit in full battle mode

--kev

Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the one up by my dash like yours then 8 others scattered thru the coach plus one in the storage bay. Seems like you were shortchanged...
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Kev,
SacsTC & I walked through our '07 Diplomat. We have THREE 12V plugs up front and one more by the dining room table. We have a plug just like yours by the stairwell and the other two are by the radio on the front of the dash.

We usually have the laptop plugged in to the 110 and my phone or bluetooth headset charger one of the 12V plugs.

We did just pick up a Sirius receiver (at Costco )so we can listen to Nascar if we are on the road while a race is on...so we will use one of the plugs for that also.
Do you have the 3 outlet adapter hanging out from under the dash so you can get to the plugs easily?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey Steve,
Are you talking about the 110 plugs that work from the inverter or the actual "cigarette lighter" plugs? If you are talking about the cigarette lighter" plugs then I need to know wherethey all are so I can see if we were cheated too!
We did not check the outside compartments for plugs...

Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #8

Hi,Kev,
I have 03 Knight and it only has one outlet down by the floor right at the top step when you come in the coach. So I went to the auto parts store and got a cig. lighter with 3 outlets and mounted it next to the drawer by the drivers side. Found a hot wire and ground in the outside compartment under the driver seat. It works great!!

Jim Davenport
2003 Knight
2002 Grand Cherokee
jim d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #9

My '00 Diplomat 38D has two 12V plugs in the dash and one in the passenger side foot well area for a total of 3. The only one I'm using at the moment is in the dash for a Sirrius sat radio unit.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #10

Kev, how did you tap into your existing 12V plug? Did you splice into the hot and ground wires? What kind of wiring connectors did you use? I've done several projects on my coach, but I still need a better understanding of where to find good sources of power, grounds and what kinds of connectors to use for both 12V DC and 110V AC.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
Kev, how did you tap into your existing 12V plug? Did you splice into the hot and ground wires? What kind of wiring connectors did you use? I've done several projects on my coach, but I still need a better understanding of where to find good sources of power, grounds and what kinds of connectors to use for both 12V DC and 110V AC.

TIA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I simply found the hot and ground wires running to the existing outlet and tapped into them using those blue self-stripping wire splices.

I figured tapping into the existing wiring would work fine as I am running low current demand items on the extensions.

--kev

Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #12

Kev, do you mean the connectors that are used to splice into turn signal and brake light wiring to put a trailer wiring harness on a tow vehicle? They work like clamps in a way and cut into the insulation of the wire when they're closed to make the connection with the wire itself?

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
Kev, do mean the connectors that are used to splice into turn signal and brake light wiring to put a trailer wiring harness on a tow vehicle? They work like clamps in a way and cut into the insulation of the wire when they're closed to make the connection with the wire itself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep - those are it!

Here is a drawing -

--kev

Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2000 Vacationer there is a 12v outlet by the passenger right foot, one in the center front ceiling cabinet (at the back) and the lighter outlet on the drivers side dash.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote