Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
No rush, thank you.
91dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
Look up # 8391- C. Cole Herse or
83321-A

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #45

We'll those are not the numbers I was hoping for !
I'll dig deeper later. .
Is this what you need ?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438127266.765699.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	101428

Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
We'll those are not the numbers I was hoping for !
I'll dig deeper later. .
Is this what you need ?
Attachment 101428

Yep and the part that goes on the other side of the dash also. One stops the ignition switch from spinning and the other one spins and tightens down.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #47

Ok then - we'll you can't have mine but I'll look when I get a chance a little later .

Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ok then - we'll you can't have mine but I'll look when I get a chance a little later .

No rush again - Appreciate your help.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #49

Look at this one and check the size.
>Chevy Or Gmc Truck Ignition Switch Bezel Nut, 1968-1972
Only have 1 on mine on the outside as shown which holds the Key SW in place .
Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This it the exact same one that mine takes. I changed my ignition switch about a year ago due to an intermittent shut-down issue and found the contacts in the switch were bad.

Upon removal of the switch bezel I found the wonderful Monaco workmanship where they used aluminum foil folded up and placed between the bezel and the switch to take up space as the dash was not thick enough and the bezel would bottom out on the switch before it was tight.

I ended up machining a small aluminum ring that closely matches the appearance of the bezel to fill the gap and works much better. Now the switch is tight enough in the dash that it doesn't turn while starting it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
91dynasty-

It's cool to see a guy your age make a find like that and make the repairs!

Why wait until your mid 50's with less energy like me?

Keep at it!
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
91dynasty-

Keep at it!
I'm just jealous that he is 28 and has his first monaco!
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #53

91--(Care to share your first name? Tends to make things more "friendly".)

If you add your coach info and general location to your sign-on, you just might find folks near you who are more easily able to help you with a variety of issues. Folks on this forum are usually VERY eager to help a fellow RV'er.

Fuel filters--I did not see an answer to your question about the secondary filter. It is mounted on the engine. I'm not familiar with your engine, but all the earlier Monaco's I've seen have it engine-mounted. Trace the line from your primary filter and you'll find it.

You also got two pieces of EXCELLENT advice about the filters. FIRST, replace them! Regardless what you might think of their condition, this forum is littered with hundreds of posts of folks chasing fuel system issues and resolving them totally by changing filters. SECOND, split open the filters to check for a blackish algae that is common in fuel systems that have been unused for a long time, especially if the tank was not nearly full. The algae requires air to grow, and that is the reason many of us always park our coaches with a full tank.

You also got excellent advice about replacing batteries and your alternator. REPLACE the batteries at your earliest convenience before chasing too many electrical issues. Without first doing that, you might find yourself "chasing your tail".

If your alternator appears to have been in place for a number of years, it was probably working at one time. Even if it was replaced at some time earlier, the fact that it worked likely means it was re-wired correctly. Changing the wiring on an alternator from one type to another is not rocket science, but it has been done improperly hundreds of times on this forum. Remove your alternator and have it TESTED before having it rebuilt, just to aid you in your troubleshooting (knowing whether the alternator actually is functioning), but then I would have it rebuilt anyway. They go bad regularly. Most motor home alternators differ from automotive units in that they have remote voltage sensing terminals and most early motor home alternators provided the tachometer signal.

Lastly, as you begin chasing your electrical issues, taking nearly a whole day to "renew" all your connections will save you untold grief in the long run. You will find several buss bars on your coach--on the front side of the firewall, behind the dash, in the front electrical compartment (called the "front run bay" if you have one), in the rear run bay (which may be inside your engine compartment) and strewn over the coach in other places. These buss bars combine the multitude of ground wires that Monaco has all over the coach. There are also many multi-pin connectors, and many push-on connectors attached to relays, contactors and circuit breakers. For the buss bars, douse them in WD-40, then loosen and re-tighten each screw. For all the push-on connectors, spray them with WD-40 and remove and reconnect them multiple times. Again, this forum has hundreds of examples of "gremlins", especially intermittent ones, that are traced to a bad ground, a multi-terminal plug, or push-on connectors. As someone else mentioned, all the grounds on your dash instruments are "daisy-chained" together, and one bad connection can cause multiple symptoms. My first Monaco was a 1993 Dynasty, and after chasing multiple intermittent gremlins for months, I finally took a wise man's advice and "freshened" every connection I could find. I realize I might have been lucky, but not a single gremlin ever appeared after that.

You seem like a very capable young man. Kudos to you for solving your own problems. Not only will you save a lot of money, but in the end you will know your coach much better.

If you have any handling issues, especially "wandering", I'll be glad to help you with that. "Wandering" is going down a straight, smooth highway, yet having to make constant steering corrections as the coach seems to "wander" from one side of your lane to the other.

Good Luck!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That's the exact one I have topside, I'll try and take a picture tomorrow to show what's left of mine.

I appreciate your help!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
91dynasty-

Keep at it!
Appreciate it! I should have all the major stuff handled by the end of this weekend, except for the leaking water tank. That's next on my list!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I'm just jealous that he is 28 and has his first monaco!
I am very excited to have it and feel really lucky to have scored it! I know it wouldn't happen again for even $5000 unless the motor was blown.

I have her almost tip top shape, just washed her down. Going to buff her up this weekend after I finish with the alternator!

Tags
monaco