RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

1993 HR Navigator Electrical Issue

Hi My problem is with a 1993 HR Navigator Spartan chassis. Seems to have something shorting to ground and killing chassis power. It seems to be related to putting in reverse and lighting circuit. Now the last time out the battery light is on faintly and actually goes out at idle. I have no manuals. I need help with schematics or insight on possible cause. Help! Thank you!

bem61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bem61 View Post
Hi My problem is with a 1993 HR Navigator Spartan chassis. Seems to have something shorting to ground and killing chassis power. It seems to be related to putting in reverse and lighting circuit. Now the last time out the battery light is on faintly and actually goes out at idle. I have no manuals. I need help with schematics or insight on possible cause. Help! Thank you!
Im a mechanic with 30 years of exp,what exactly do you mean short to ground?Are you trying to say there is a draw meaning the battery goes dead overnight?If there were a short to ground there would be a fire or explosion.We need more and specific info.As far as the battery light most likely dirty connection at battery or alternator,possibly a bad alternator.I have seen here where someone had a loose connection at alternator.Check all connections.Hope this helps and yes the connections are hard to get to.

WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

I owned a 1993 Navigator. I uploaded a pretty complete set of schematics to the Yahoo Group HRMotorHomes. There should be enough there to help you out. Good luck.
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have also seen bad alternators drain batteries.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Alpha, would you have a link to that upload? This problem seems to be tied to the chassis lighting. Can turn on the driving lights and it will immediately kill ignition. Also turnsignal,braking and putting in reverse can kill it.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

Does the coach re start afterwards once you shut the lights down or take it out of reverse?...... or is this intermittent?

In most cases a power circuit shorting to ground will blow the circuit protection ...such as the fuse or the likes ....their are very few places on a coach or a vehicle that are unprotected and are normally at the battery location.

I'm more inclined to think you may possibly have a voltage drop issue on a ground circuit somewhere ( lighting) .

Do you have a volt meter?

Can you unplug the fuses to the circuits for the lighting and rev lights to see what effect this may have on you problem?

Is the alternator charging correctly? ( volt meter)

Try Unplugging the alternator and see if the problem is still there.

Try hooking up a small battery charger directly to the batteries and see if the you still have the issue.

You may want to try and run a redundant ground wire to the lighting circuit directly from the battery and see if it has an effect.

Voltage drop 101 and start at the battery cables ( if you have a volt meter)

Remember these are only wild ass guesses from way back here in the cheap seats with no schematics and no testing
Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Just read this:
Open Roaders

Monaco Owners Club

We had a similar problem on our Holiday Rambler Navigator, Cummins 300hp The engine would shut off when the fog lights were turned on, then with the car trailer connected, occasionally when the turn indicators were on it would quit and eventually it got so bad that every time we used the indicators the engine quit and got as long as 20 minutes before it would restart.

We spent 3 weeks searching for the problem and eventually traced it to the master solenoid that was breaking down under heavy load. Replaced it and (fingers crossed) we've had no more problems.

The previous owner struggled with it like this for more than 10 years and no workshop could find the problem!

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500

Where is the master solenoid?
Would like to get in contact with Open Roaders.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

I would like to get in contact with Open Roaders. email me at bem61@aol.com
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #9

Sorry about the confusion on my part. I actually posted the files on the Yahoo Group = Ramblin_Pushers. You may have to join to access the files but it is free and it is not a bad group. The schematics are for a 1994 Navigator but are identical. Good luck.
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

i had a 1993 navigator and the engine would die when i turned turn signal on to exit highway and hit the brakes. traced problem to solenoid in fuse compartment on drivers side front compartment. since it was on spartan chassis, spartan recommended a different number solenoid that had a ground wire lug. never had problem again after i replace solenoid.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. I replaced the solenoid and it is not dieing but the battery light shines dimly when any chassis lighting is used. Did you add a ground lug solenoid? If so do you know what part number you used. Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

i did use a ground lug solenoid, but i don't know number. spartan gave me the number to use. i would suggest that you call them. they were very helpful.

Tags
electrical