Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

1995 Starting Problem

I have a 1995 monarch signature motorhome. It has been sitting for about a year and I have replaced the ignition switch thinking it was the problem already. What happens is I turn the key to crank it and the gauges go to zero. The batteries are both good. I have already jumpered the solenoid to check it just to hear it and it works. No voltage gets to the small wire on the solenoid though. What else can I try, I have a feeling its something very simple but i cannot figure it out.

Thanks,

PS I do not have a wiring diagram so of someone has one that would be great also.
cory0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

You can try grounding the gauges. It is quite simple. Remove the instrument cover (dash), and put a connecting `eye` on a length of 14ga wire. Attach one end of the wire to one of the speedometer mount bolt, and the other to the ground block which is mounted on the firewall ,underneath the dash, near the top just under the windshield. I had a similar problem with my `94 just this past Monday. Coming home from Talladega, and every gauge I had quit. This got them going again !! Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory0789 View Post
I have a 1995 monarch signature motorhome. It has been sitting for about a year and I have replaced the ignition switch thinking it was the problem already. What happens is I turn the key to crank it and the gauges go to zero. The batteries are both good. I have already jumpered the solenoid to check it just to hear it and it works. No voltage gets to the small wire on the solenoid though. What else can I try, I have a feeling its something very simple but i cannot figure it out.

Thanks,

PS I do not have a wiring diagram so of someone has one that would be great also.
fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cory,
Your statement "....I have already jumpered the solenoid to check it just to hear it and it works. No voltage gets to the small wire on the solenoid though." So I interpret this to mean that when you apply a test voltage, your starter runs and engages.

I believe that the electrical path (from your ignition switch to the starter solenoid) has two relays in the path and that possibly one of them is bad and/or needs its contacts cleaned. The first "downstream" of the ignition switch is the ignition relay. Next "downstream" is the neutral safety relay. When both of these work, 12VDC is delivered to the starting solenoid. So I hope you can find relays that are labeled as such. Pop them out of their sockets and inspect their contacts.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Help

Where would tgese relays be located? There are relays on the side of the coach in a box as well as by the engine... Se have know labels or diagrams to go off of to figure this out.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #5

The relYs are located inside the door on the outside left front fender. The diagr should be on there. I have a schemitic of the wiring diagram. If you will email me I will get you a copy
fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Cory,

I sent you a PM with details on wiring diagrams,

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Neutral safety switch sounds like a shot for sure.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

I have replaced the starting solenoid on the back panel and it still did not work... I cleaned the ground off the starter to the chasis frame and still nothing... I tried putting jumper cable on negative battery side to chassis and nothing still...

Can someone explain what ground commections i need to check? What else i can do to find the bad ground?

Here is what i do know...

On the starting solenoid on back panel i get 12v to one side but when cranking it does not pass voltage to the other side... This is a new solenoid so its not that but what stops the current from going across...

I know the brown wire small goes to the neutral safety relay but i never get 12v to it either...
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Cory,

The brown wire to trigger the solenoid on the starter runs through:

- the ignition key
- two ignition relays
- a couple fuses
- the rear start box
- the neutral safety switch
- the start solenoid

Check the Schematic 12V Power from the link I sent you. I also
PM'd you my phone number.

Paul
Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

We figured out that when cranking the solenoid in front run plate closes its circuit.... Cannot figure out why though and if it has anything to do with starting...
Old 11-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That is normal to make as much power as necessary available for cranking.

Paul
Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

Ok, we are getting power to the neutral safety relay on the 30 prong but it will not get to the 87 prong to fire the starting solenoid due to the 86 PRONG WILL NOT GET HOT we do not know where the 86 PRONG gets its signal from or why it will not work but if someone knows please help us out!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cory,
The below link is provided for reference....and shows that pin 86 (in this drawing) goes to ground. If that is the case on your rig (let's call it "Option-1" herein), you'll not see a voltage there. But it is worth testing with an ohmmeter....pin 86 to ground should near near zero ohms IF this is how your rig is wired. Or there is "option 2", depending on wiring on your rig.... It could be that pin 86 is only grounded during starting and/or while the transmission is in neutral. If this is the case and IF this "ground" doesn't happen, then the relay will not energize (thus: no starting).

For option-2 here, you can help this forum by stating whether pin 85 is "constant ON" or "switched ON" with the needed 12VDC.

http://m4.i.pbase.com/u23/wingman26/...gwithrelay.jpg
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #14

Update, the 86 pin comes from leveler safety relay in fron run box which i am trying to figure out why it is not getting power now... This is crazy for all of a sudden happening..