Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

1996 Monaco Windsor

we just bought this motorhome, our first, and we had to have it jump started on the way home. Waiting for our mechanic to come get it. It doesnt have any power cables or hoses (sewer, water) I need to know what we will need before we start traveling. recommendations?
We also need a manual
goofoff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

What you need could be many and varied...sounds like you have problems with the chassis electrical system..new batteries?...new alternator?

Since you bought a DP coach you're going to need some serious cash for repairs and upgrades. You should have a heavy truck shop check over the engine and chassis components. Have an RV tech check over the coach.

If you're going traveling anytime soon then you will want to make sure everything works. Don't forget safety issues like brakes and tires. It is highly recommended to change out the tires at 5 to 7 years old according to year of manufacture on the tires.

Read everything you can about your coach and DP coaches in general...this forum is a great place to start.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new purchase!

x2 what irishguy said about learning all you can about it, and especially roaming around on here. We're all still learning (some more than others, speaking for self anyways ).

A google-search didn't find any manuals from that year, but maybe you could find one from another similar year, it would at least get you started.

Let us know how it's going.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

This looks helpful:

RV Check List for RVers

The list can be nearly endless, but the basics... You probably have thought most of it through: waste hose, water hose, power cable. If you are handy, a tool kit.

We carry extra belts, filters and etc. We don't carry a spare tire - I would call a service. A way to check and inflate tires is nice to have

We have a 1998 Monaco Windsor. I would be glad to attempt answers to specific questions via private message.

BTW, I am guessing your batteries just need replacing. Previous owner probably let them get fully discharged and killed them. We typically buy the big batteries at NAPA.

Matt B
Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofoff55 View Post
we just bought this motorhome, our first, and we had to have it jump started on the way home. Waiting for our mechanic to come get it. It doesnt have any power cables or hoses (sewer, water) I need to know what we will need before we start traveling. recommendations?
We also need a manual
sewer and water hose can be purchased either on line, camping world, or Walmart, etc. You're profile says you have a 32' windsor. You'll need either a 30 or 50 amp power cord. I'm not sure which cord without more information.

If this is your first coach, you're learning cure is going to be steep. If you haven't thought about it already, I'd have all fluids tested and changed. This will give you a base line for future fluid testing. Sounds like batteries are discharged and possibly could be shot. did you get any maintenance records from previous owner?

Manuals are usually hard to come by, especially that vintage of coach. Even then, they are not real complete (like an car). the internet could be your friend.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Don't overestimate the usefulness of the manuals. It is likely that many of the components of your RV have changed since new - fridge, ACs, inverter, etc.

You might do as well to list the components you have, find and bookmark the manuals for your components, and refer to them if needed.

IMO, more important is choosing sources for parts. Knowing a good source can make the difference between camping at the shop for two days or two weeks.

Go exploring your coach - roll around on your belly, squeeze your head in the tight spots and get familiar. Do research blocking your coach for safety when you are underneath!

Matt B
Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I found a 1997 Windsor manual. The systems will be the same except the engine was upgraded to a C8.3.
Monaco WINDSOR 1997 Owner's Manual: nwrvsupply.com
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

I would say that you have bitten off quite a chunk for your first MH, and I'm saying that because we recently bought a '94 Dynasty somewhat the same as yours. Ours did have the hoses and connector and was in pretty good shape overall, but no manuals. Ours also didn't make it home because of an alternator failure that left us stranded for several days in the 115-120 degree Beatty, NV heat.

On the brighter side, I found an owners manual on eBay and several other manuals at different places on the internet. I bought a folder and have printed out several of these manuals which I placed there. I'm hoping that eventually I will be able to collect most of them. There is also some good information in the files section of this part of the forum at the top of the page.

As others mentioned, if you can't do much of the work yourself one of these MHs can get pretty expensive. I looked through some of the receipts for work the PO had done to our MH and was a bit concerned until I learned that the same thing could be accomplished for a lot less by doing it yourself, but that requires a lot of learning.

IMHO, before you start traveling it would be a good idea to first find at least an owners manual and familiarize yourself with the MH. Then try camping in it at home. Then try some shorter trips to sort of "feel it out" before going on longer trips. At least that's what I would do.

Best of luck with it.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

Contact Monaco for the owners manual

Last year when we were looking for a used coach, I contacted Monaco and got several brochures and even some owners manuals for a few of the different models we looked at buying.

I do have the 96 Windsor brochure if you are interested as that was one of the models we looked at before deciding on a 97 Dynasty. It is a black and white scanned copy (poorly, but readable) of what the dealers used to hand out back in the day. Just send me a message if you would be interested!
8thDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I do own a "96" Windsor and I have the full factory book with all the manuals, even the one for the Cummins 8.3 ISC! I can tell you the manuals are pretty generic, and what you can find on google will be just as good! Mine is a 38' model PB, (private bath), but basically the same coach, except yours will have the 5.9 ISB motor and probably the gas/propane generator!
One of my good friends on here, ronspradley just bought the same MH and a 32' also! You could send him a Private Message, (PM), and ask him anything you want to know!
I live in Thailand, (retired) and use ours twice a year for vacations to the states and touring around the country! It is parked at my son's house in Central Illinois, so I have no access to the manual's at this time! We will be back in the States next year in July/Aug, time frame! Here is a pic of us in Beaver Lake CG in Custer, SD. this Aug.! Ron's has the CRV parked in front of it, we have a PT Cruiser in front of ours!
You cam PM me also anytime you have a specific question, and I will try to answer it for you!
We have owned our coach now for 3 years, and love it! Great coach, runs and drives very well! Rail!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail Mona and Ron's Monaco 32' at Beaver Lake Campground,  Custer, SD. .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	223251
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

Make an inventory of the systems in your coach listing the model numbers
then visit Bryant RV .
These good folks have taken it upon themselves to put manuals on their site .

Service Documents and Manuals

You can down load the ones you need
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I think others have pretty much covered it. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #13

got a manual for a 1997, looks very similar to what I have. Kohler Generator, confidant 7, found manual for that too. thanks so much. still researching.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

hi back cant wait to get on the road, but gotta make sure were good. can you plug into a regular house plug? I saw an adaptor from a 30 amp cable to the regular outlet

Tags
monaco