Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Unhappy 1996 Safari Serengeti Electrical Issues, HELP!

Hi! I recently acquired my parents' motorhome - my dad passed away in Nov 2015 (age 90) and my mom signed it over to me. My wife and I are trying to get it on the road to take a trip, and my mom, to FL. We live near Lancaster, OH.

My dad parked it in their barn in 2012 after deciding it was time to stop driving it and spend time in their FL winter home.

We had successfully started it up a couple of years ago, no issues, bud didn't move it.

We again started it up (after installing new engine and house batteries two weeks ago) and were able to get it out of the barn. We drove it abut 30 miles to a local RV dealer in Pataskala OH to get it checked out for safety and roadworthiness. We parked it there, and the next morning, it would not start. Batts all ok, but it would not crank via the starter switch, nor with the bypass in the back (it has the 3216 CAT Diesel engine).

They were able to get a tech who bypassed the wiring and was able to get the starter to crank and it started up. Before we could get there, though, he had shut it down and now it will not crank at all. NO starter, nothing, but batts, etc are good.

We had it towed some 40 miles to a Freightliner shop in Zanesville, and they have it now. WE know there is a wiring problem but we dont' have detailed, colored schematics for this, and they've spent nearly 9 hours at $140 an hour. I know there was corroded connections, and wires, and they have found several and repaired some, but the generic schematics I have that my dad had don't help a lot. Does ANYBODY have any clue as to where I can find schematics ? I called Monaco a little while ago and I have a tech looking thru their old files for me, and I've tried the Yahoo RV Safari Forum.

We know there MAY be rodent damage but we don't know for sure. We just need schematics as to how this thing is wired..... HELP!!
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

I spent hours on a Freight Liner Chassis working on a coach for a friend.... just like you, new batteries installed by someone else... in my case, Freight Liner Customer service had the drawings... and they were able to send them to my via-email... and talking to the tech lead me to the answer.... a simple bad connection by the guy (RV DEALER) who installed the replacement batteries...

In my case the MH had sat at least 6 years... and it started and fired right up... again it was a CAT engine... once I found and solved the problem... so WHY was a NEW ENGINE installed? That's the question, who did the work and why...

I've honestly worked on a few older units and most of my time is sitting on a stool, thinking about HOW WAS IT DESIGNED TO WORK, and what do I need to do to TROUBLE SHOOT and repair...

But I'd be afraid of a truck shop, 85% of those guys are part changers, have no clue how a MH works... all I see is $$$$
Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In my case the MH had sat at least 6 years... and it started and fired right up... again it was a CAT engine... once I found and solved the problem... so WHY was a NEW ENGINE installed? That's the question, who did the work and why...
I didn't read that he had a new engine installed, but new engine batteries, and new house batteries.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

Does the engine try to crank over when you turn the key? Does the dash gauges light up? Is there any sounds/noises turning the key? Was fuel stabilizer added prior to storage? Is it fuel injected or carberator? First guesses are old fuel, clogged fuel or air filter, or mice chew wires near your fuse box under hood. Test or check your fuse box under hood and drivers side under steering wheel. Need more info...😊
Catalina240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical