Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question 1999 Monaco Diplomat

Help!! I am trying to rebuild a 1999 Monaco Diplomat that my husband bought before he died. I am missing some things, but not sure what. I need two things:

1. Pictures of the Hydraulic system, i.e. the place where the fluid and the filters go.
2. A complete set of owners manuals.

My motorhome is a 38 ft., Cummins Turbo Diesel 275hp 5.9L engine. I am so close to having this thing finished, but all the power steering fluid came out and I don't know what I need to make it work. If I could see a picture of the inside where the hydaulic fluid reservoir goes and what it is supposed to look at, I can tell what is missing and what I need to find.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Kgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's a Roadmaster chassis, a Monaco-unique chassis design. Maybe Monaco (now Navistar RV) could help you with the hydraulic system.

There really isn't an owner manual that covers everything like a car manual. You get a suitcase of appliance and major component manuals,most of which are available on the internet once you identify the brand and model number for each, e.g. water heater, a/c, generator, fridge, etc. There is a sort of top level manual from Monaco for the whole coach - don't know if Monaco could still provide that or not. Perhaps anther Monaco owner would copy theirs for you.

This Monaco-specific question would be better addressed in the Monaco Owners Forum - I've moved it there for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well, my endeavour is a sister to the diplomat, although it is a couple of years newer.
It is likely that the reservoir is in the same place.

Open the rear doors, and on the right side, below the oil dipstick and fill tubes should be a round canister about 5 inches in diameter with a small dipstick screwed into the top of it (off-center). This would be the power steering hydraulic fluid reservoir - it has to be checked hot. Filter is in the reservoir - remove the bolt on the center top (very long, lots of turns) and you'll find a spring around the bolt pressing down on a large washer on top of the filter. Filter is hard to remove, or simply messy (wound up just sticking my hand down there and grabbing it - all attempts and snagging it with various tools and wires failed)

Don't remember which fluid it took to refill - I was changing all fluids and filters that day...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgriffin View Post
Help!! I am trying to rebuild a 1999 Monaco Diplomat that my husband bought before he died. I am missing some things, but not sure what. I need two things:

1. Pictures of the Hydraulic system, i.e. the place where the fluid and the filters go.
2. A complete set of owners manuals.

My motorhome is a 38 ft., Cummins Turbo Diesel 275hp 5.9L engine. I am so close to having this thing finished, but all the power steering fluid came out and I don't know what I need to make it work. If I could see a picture of the inside where the hydaulic fluid reservoir goes and what it is supposed to look at, I can tell what is missing and what I need to find.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
The 99 Dip power steering reservoir is in the bay just in front of the driver dual tires along with the pump for the jacks, air dryer and behind the dash air condenser. I would change the filter before refilling it will be a Nelson 83213D or Wix 51487 Napa 1487, fill with Dexron III.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
fill with Dexron III.
But be aware that GM no longer tests or certifies Dexron III. Any company can call what ever it want's "Dexron III" and there's no one to verify what it is.
Allison has removed Dexron III from the listing of approve fluids for the same reason.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But be aware that GM no longer tests or certifies Dexron III. Any company can call what ever it want's "Dexron III" and there's no one to verify wh at it is.
Allison has removed Dexron III from the listing of approve fluids for the same reason.
Mr D we are not talking about anything but the power steering and that is what Monaco Put Dexron III in all the 99 dips that I am aware and some of their other coaches , now in our 2000 Dyn it has AW46. It will work with no problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure that isn't the jack hydraulic fluid in front of the left rear tire? That's what I have there - with the air dryer, fuel filter, and jack pump. Power steering in the back below the oil dipstick/oil fill.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
OK Walt knows what was in the 99 Diplomat and where everything was because he owned one and did his own service work.

The attached pictures are of the compartment in front of the rear wheels on the driver's side, but are of a 2001 Diplomat. The 1999 Dip was very similar. That compartment takes the barrel key to open. The hydraulic reservoir is in the rear left corner as you face it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1308.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	27143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1311.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	27144  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic Reservoir.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	27145  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
ok. I stand corrected. That's exactly the same reservoir as the 02, they just moved it to the back between '01 and '02.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your help. I called the Monaco help line and gave them my vin. They told me what reservoir I needed and exactly where it goes. Mine does go on the right side of the radiator just below the oil dip stick. But it is the exact same reservoir. I have ordered a new one from Monaco and it should be in this week. I also ordered a 2000 owners manual. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I called the Monaco help line and gave them my vin. They told me what reservoir I needed and exactly where it goes. Mine does go on the right side of the radiator just below the oil dip stick. But it is the exact same reservoir. I have ordered a new one from Monaco and it should be in this week. I also ordered a 2000 owners manual. Thanks again for all your help.
K I am pretty sure that Monaco Tec service is wrong, i think the 98, 99 and 2000 Diplomat and most probably the 2000 HR Endeavor all have the hyd reservoir in the compartment and on the wall toward the front as in Rex's picture shows, open that compartment up and look for the hyd hoses and where it was installed on the forward bulkhead also in that compartment is the Primary fuel filter that I forgot to post before.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When you say compartment, are you talking about one of the bays that you life open on the side of the motor home? And what is a barrell key and where would I find one?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
When you say compartment, are you talking about one of the bays that you life open on the side of the motor home? And what is a barrell key and where would I find one?
No its the one that swings out and takes a barrel key and as has been stated before the first compartment in front of the driver side duals, my coach uses a E3-5-15 but not sure which your coach will use maybe someone with a 99 dip will post the #, I will post a link what it looks like below.

Southco RV Barrel Key E3-5-15 Motorhome Camper Trailer | eBay

Tags
monaco