Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question 2 Electrical Questions

I have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty 42'. Preparing for a trip to AK I wanted to ensure my Auto Gen Start functioned properly. After programming the RC7GS remote panel I tried to start the Genny using the remote switch on the RC7GS panel. It would not start. Fast forward a few days - I wanted to simulate dry camping for a day to get a feel for the discharge levels I would experience in a real situation. After shutting off shore power at the pole outside - I thought I would try the remote Gen Start switch on the RC7GS panel - Voila! It started right up. Is this normal? Should that remote start switch work while plugged into shore power? I have spent an entire day trying to find the answer on the internet - so far haven't found it so thought I would ask the brain trust.

Second question - I have a modified sine wave Xantrax inverter. Am aware of the problems associated with that type of inverter with electronics. Am I at risk with my Samsung residential refrigerator? I do not have ice dispenser in the door. Again my research didn't turn up much on the issue of the modified sine wave and a residential refer - except for the ice dispenser in the door. Thanks for any experience you all have had.
kdlee747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

I have a simililar coach an 05 navigator, 43 ft. I have the auto gens start but seldom use it. Can't help you there. However the mod sine wave and residential reefer, I can help with that. You have been told correctly. If you don't have an ice maker you should have no problems. The ice maker motor runs in both directions depending on whether crushed ice or cubes is being called for. The motor will fail eventually.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have a whirlpool residential refrigerator with ice maker and use it every day no
problems yet. We have a modified sine wave Xantrax inverter.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As for your fridge.. I keep reading about how motors (like the compressor) do not like MSW.. I have never, EVER seen any evidenice to support that.

Some electronics get upset and they teare the )(@#$R@ out of my radios, but I have run many motors off MSW inverters many times and not a one of them had a problem.

Do be aware though that if the Fridge pulls say 250 watts. you are going to need at least a Kilowatt of inverter to kick start that puppy.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlee747 View Post
I have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty 42'. Preparing for a trip to AK I wanted to ensure my Auto Gen Start functioned properly. After programming the RC7GS remote panel I tried to start the Genny using the remote switch on the RC7GS panel. It would not start. Fast forward a few days - I wanted to simulate dry camping for a day to get a feel for the discharge levels I would experience in a real situation. After shutting off shore power at the pole outside - I thought I would try the remote Gen Start switch on the RC7GS panel - Voila! It started right up. Is this normal? Should that remote start switch work while plugged into shore power? I have spent an entire day trying to find the answer on the internet - so far haven't found it so thought I would ask the brain trust.

Second question - I have a modified sine wave Xantrax inverter. Am aware of the problems associated with that type of inverter with electronics. Am I at risk with my Samsung residential refrigerator? I do not have ice dispenser in the door. Again my research didn't turn up much on the issue of the modified sine wave and a residential refer - except for the ice dispenser in the door. Thanks for any experience you all have had.
The remote start switch for the generator is just that and should start the generator on demand. The AGS (Automatic Generator Start) is something different. We have the Magnum AGS and yours is the RC7GS. I am not familiar with yours but know ours quite well and have spent time and money to upgrade it. There are two basic parameters that can be set to automatically start the generator, low voltage on the batteries and high temperature in the coach. If the parameter conditions are not met the AGS will not start the generator. Perhaps yours works and you have not yet encountered the correct conditions for the AGS to enable.

If your Samsung is the RF197 you are good to go on the MSW inverter. We installed a Samsung RF197 three years ago and it has worked like a charm on the MSW inverter. In fact the main reason so many RVers install the Samsung RF197 is because Samsung states it will work with a MSW inverter.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Samsung RF197 rectifies the incoming AC voltage to DC before any component sees the power. This means the RF197 cannot tell the difference in PSW vs MSW.
Make sure you hold the RC7GS start button in long enough. That has fooled me a few times.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the wisdom! My AGS works fine - at least for low voltage - haven't tried the temperature feature yet. My confusion came from not being able to use the RC7GS manual gen start feature while plugged into shore power. That feature works fine WITHOUT shore power - but it took me a few days and much experimenting to figure that out. Nothing in the books about it or anything I could find on-line.

I do have the RF197 thank goodness!
kdlee747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical