Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2000 40' Monaco Windsor

I have a friend that is going to look at a one slide 2000 40' Monaco Windsor tomorrow with only 9k miles on it. I mention the miles because I know this is going to be an issue and something worth menitioning...

I am going to go with him to check it out. I know Monaco is a quality rig... Besides tires, which surprisingly are brand new, and looking at a rig that has mostly been static it's whole life, is there anything else specific to that rig that was/is an issue that we should be on the look out for?

Any advise is helpful. Thanks!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd be quite cautious about a 14 year old rig with only 9k miles. Personally i'd pass and look for one with 90k on it and clear maintenance records unless it's a super duper deal. How are the maintenance records?

Just my 2 cents.

- Jonathon
jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't know much at this point, and I agree with you... That's why I mentioned the mileage right up front. I will know more tomorrow. I think the seller is asking $50k, but my buddy is thinking more like $30k.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

It could be a diamond under the dust , or a lump of coal.
Rust and rot never sleep.
I'd want a couple of hour road test and a mechanical inspection, before making an offer.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just bought a 2000 SIG with 90k in mint shape and all records for $69k. Keep looking if he isn't super negotiable or willing to let you go through the coach with a fine tooth comb.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I picked up a 2001 Diplomat 38A with 90K miles in great shape for $35K. New tires and batteries. After 2 years still no major problems. Deals are out there.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We spent a couple of hours going through the whole coach today. All the bells and whistles and everything seems to be working as it should. Pretty clean too. The only thing is that we couldn't find the odometer or figure out how to open the generator compartment. We looked at it without the owner there. Anyway, if my friend can negotiate a good deal, anything under $40k, I think it will be a good first mh for him. I'll keep anyone interested posted with any updates. As one poster put it, I think it's a diamond in the dust!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If this has an Aquahot system.........be wary.
Check completely as a refurbished unit is $10K.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
If this has an Aquahot system.........be wary.
Check completely as a refurbished unit is $10K.
I don't believe aqua hot was an option. There is a pull handle right over the front license plate to open the generator slide compartment. The odometer should be a small digital readout on the dash, not in the speedometer.

At $40k if it has the options, and it is in solid shape, it is worth the money.
Monacocoach.com has the brochures for that unit on their website. I would offer $35K, just to start the bargaining.

To recall Aluminum wheels, HWH air leveling, upgraded stereo, and a few other items are on the option list. I have one that had 74K miles when I purchased it. I have put almost 25K miles on mine with no real issues. I have had to repair a few things, upgrade a few things, but hey its 14 years old. My unit has HD flat panels in all 3 locations, 2 Blue Ray players, XM radio, etc. these weren't available when she was built. The bones are still very solid. I just did a 2400 mile trip with absolutely no issues. Last year, I drove it from Southern FL, to LV and back in one month.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We found the handle but was afraid to pull it too hard. We saw a motor underneath but couldn't find a switch. We found the small trip odometer on the dash, but couldn't get it to read miles I didn't try to hard. Negotiations have begun. The best part will be having a new friend to go RVing with. I also directed him to this site to learn about everything like I have.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are new to diesels be sure to understand the chassis, tranny, and engine maintenance needs. Are there very good service records? If not be sure you understand what needs to be done and prepare for it. I have spend about $600 so far and doing maintenance myself. I'm halfway done. If a shop were to do a complete workup you could easily spend $2-$3k and that doesn't include any repair items.

I'd also get the engine checked out by Cummins before you buy for confirmation of its health.

Even at $35k be aware of service needs. Big ticket items engine wise are the exhaust, coolant system, turbo, etc. Is there rust in the engine compartment?

A diesel is a big jump for a first time motorhome owner and a big commitment on service needs. Not like the gas coaches where you can often slack on service and get a way with it.

Any pictures?

Good luck.

-Jonathon
Old 06-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a DP now and he had a 46 ft boat with twin cummins turbo diesels. The Allison tranny is the same as on mh Discovery (3060). He is a very experienced and retired HVAC guy and plumber who owned a business for close to 40 years. I think we feel good enough about what he is getting and also realize there will be some TLC needed with a cost attached to it. Exhaust looked good. No aqua hot. Engine compartment was clean, no rust. Battery trays were a little rusty. Underneath looks good for a 14 year old mh. Next visit I'll take some pics and post them.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like a good buy for the right price!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
We found the handle but was afraid to pull it too hard. We saw a motor underneath but couldn't find a switch. We found the small trip odometer on the dash, but couldn't get it to read miles .
The handle should pull down then forward, it should be pivoted at the front of the door. My Slide hydraulics are on the front under the passenger seat. I am not sure what motor you may have seen.

The small trip odometer is also the odometer on my coach. There are two buttons, one to reset the trip, the other to toggle between the two.

Tags
monaco