Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Dynasty – Wiring Diagram Needed – Electrical Gremlins

So I'm elbow deep trying to learn and shake-down my new 34 York. Its mostly in pristine condition but there are a few electrical issues that I can't yet put my finger on. So I'll start by asking if anyone has or knows where I can get a wiring diagram?

The electrical gremlins consist of the following:
  • Utility lights not working in baggage bay, wet bay and drivers-front electrical panel.
  • Drivers map light not working and no power coming to it.
  • I assume the buttons on the smart-wheel should illuminate at night, they don't.
  • The warning light cluster above the gauges mostly doesn't come on when I turn the key. I just wait 30-45 seconds and then start. If the coach has been very recently run they will normally work when the key is turned.
  • Back-up lights don't work.
  • No power to the Girard awning.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thank you,
Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #2

Suggest you call Monaco tech support - tell your story and ask for house and chassis schematics for your specific coach. I did that a few years ago and the tech support guy emailed me the diagrams in Autocad format. I have Autocad and am familiar with it but other programs can open those files also.

Perhaps the guy might save as PDF and send if you don't have a suitable program to open the file. But suggest you get the diagrams anyway you can and print them out on a suitable.scale wjere you can trace the circuits. On my spare paper.diagrams I traced each circuit with color-coded markers so it is easier to.see at a glance where things go.

Hope my suggestion help

I presume you advised Monaco that you now own that coach and you ave the coach number. If you do not have that, provide them with the VIN and they will give you the Monaco coach number and put you down as the current number.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Suggest you call Monaco tech support - tell your story and ask for house and chassis schematics for your specific coach. I did that a few years ago and the tech support guy emailed me the diagrams in Autocad format. I have Autocad and am familiar with it but other programs can open those files also.

Perhaps the guy might save as PDF and send if you don't have a suitable program to open the file. But suggest you get the diagrams anyway you can and print them out on a suitable.scale wjere you can trace the circuits. On my spare paper.diagrams I traced each circuit with color-coded markers so it is easier to.see at a glance where things go.

Hope my suggestion help

I presume you advised Monaco that you now own that coach and you ave the coach number. If you do not have that, provide them with the VIN and they will give you the Monaco coach number and put you down as the current number.
That is great to know... I was hesitant to contact Monaco due to the age of the coach. One of my coworkers can open CAD files and convert to PDF. Also, thanks for the suggestion to inform Monaco of the change of ownership. On the outside of my owners manuals case is written S1166, would this be the coach #?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Might be the coach number You can ask. These folks are very helpful.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So many symptoms I would look at the power distribution busses for loose connections first. Here are some 99 Dynasty diagrams. My Files
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
The electrical gremlins consist of the following:
  • Utility lights not working in baggage bay, wet bay and drivers-front electrical panel.
  • Drivers map light not working and no power coming to it.
  • I assume the buttons on the smart-wheel should illuminate at night, they don't.
  • The warning light cluster above the gauges mostly doesn't come on when I turn the key. I just wait 30-45 seconds and then start. If the coach has been very recently run they will normally work when the key is turned.
  • Back-up lights don't work.
  • No power to the Girard awning.
You're certain all batteries are good and all their + & - connections are good?

Utility lites, map lite, back-up lites, Girard awning problems may be due to one or more of this type of solenoid White Rodgers DC Power Solenoid 70 111224 New | eBay not working(old) because the internal contacts are bad. You have at least 4 of these solenoids and they located in 3 different compartments: 1) in the engine compartment on both the street, 2) and curbside, 3) and in the frt left electrical just fwd of the frt left wheel/tire. It would be a good idea to replace them all on this old of a coach to have a good starting point.

The Girard awning requires both 12v dc & 110v ac to operate.

Smartwheel buttons on a 2000 yr model coach do NOT liteup at nite.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
So many symptoms I would look at the power distribution busses for loose connections first. Here are some 99 Dynasty diagrams. My Files
Thanks for the diagrams. I am going to give Monaco a call Monday. I can see there are differences from the 99 and 00 wiring. I am sure there were probably running wiring changes just in a model year. Hopefully they can provide the ones for my vintage coach. It is pretty difficult to make heads or tails from the bus bar markings in the front electrical bay. I have checked all of the connections and they seem good. My next thought would be to actually begin systematically loosen each connection, put a dab of electrical grease on each a reattach. Then replace all relays and solenoids.

Thanks again for the diagrams.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post

Utility lites, map lite, back-up lites, Girard awning problems may be due to one or more of this type of solenoid White Rodgers DC Power Solenoid 70 111224 New | eBay not working(old) because the internal contacts are bad. You have at least 4 of these solenoids and they located in 3 different compartments: 1) in the engine compartment on both the street, 2) and curbside, 3) and in the frt left electrical just fwd of the frt left wheel/tire. It would be a good idea to replace them all on this old of a coach to have a good starting point.

Thank you for the info on the solenoids. That is going to be my next move. Also thought about replacing all of the relays just as a preventative action.

I can remove the awning as an issue... the nut behind the wheel was loose on this item. Still learning my coach and just a matter of having AC on to power it. It does need adjustment on the closed limit switch but that can wait till spring.

Good to know about the Smartwheel not lighting up, that saves me from troubleshooting one item.

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
YC1

I would be very careful throwing parts at it. Just one mistake and you could turn troubleshooting into a nightmare. I agree that many of the solenoids probably need to be replaced but you need to take some voltage measurements before doing so.

You symptom of dash lights, waiting to start, and then the light working are very symptomatic of one of those relays. As suggested,starting in the battery compartment with some wire brushes and sandpaper to clean up all connections is critical. Follow any wires that go to the frame and clean those too. Once you have that done shoot a picture here of the battery compartment to help identify any common failuire problems there. The solenoid that combines the batteries is probably faulty. I have replaced mine three times.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #10

The 98-02 Dynasty, Executive, Signature have a "diode heat sink" type battery isolator, NOT a B.I.R.D. type. The diode type are failure prone too. They live in an enclosure with little to no air flow. I modified our 00 Sig by installing a temperature snap switch that automaticly turns on and off the 2 12v cooling fans that are mounted above the blue batt. isolator.

Before

After
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
After a little more digging around yesterday after having lost power to my heat exchanger fan units (for AquaHot house heat) I think I isolated that problem to the bus bar in the front electrical bay. Heat is working again.

Rather than just throw parts at the problem, I think I'll start by thoroughly cleaning the battery terminals and systematically cleaning/refastening all bus connections and grounds. If problems persist then I'll consider solenoids and relays (once I get the schematics from Monaco).

On the topic of solenoids, I see that I have several White-Rogers but they do not appear to be related to house power. There are also 2 Cole-Hersee and which the block diagram on the hatch door indicates is for Domestic Power. Am I wrong in my reasoning that if the solenoid were bad then it would effect large blocks of systems, not just a few minor ones like basement utility lighting and pilots map light???
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
YC1

Yes, those Large solenoids control banks of things.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post

Lonestarace,

I solved some of the issues noted above but I have a domestic 12V power issue that I am trying to trace and open to any and all suggestions. The following items are not working; step cover, dash radio, dash fans, all basement utility lights. In looking at the fuse block diagram that is glued to the inside of the front electrical bay door, these items are all powered from the domestic fuse block.

I checked the 4 gauge power lead coming into the fuse block and there is nothing. I had gotten the Front Run Plate schematic from Monaco last week and it shows that this lead runs to the domestic battery stud. I assume that is the stud that connects to the solenoid in the read electrical bay. Here is a picture of what I assume is the domestic battery stud and the associated solenoid. I checked the power on both sides of this solenoid and I have 14 volts both in and out.

Any ideas why I am not seeing power on the lead that powers the fuse block up front?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You seem to be almost there. Check the connection on the stud (back side of rear run panel, accessible from underneath). The cable should be black and in split conduit. There are also some huge (like 300 amp) fuses in the rear compartment but I would think a failure there would effect all domestic power.
If all else fails remove 4 ga from front and attach a cable tracer and look for it in the rear compartment in case the schematics are wrong.

Tags
electrical, wiring