Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
What is the advantage of running the engine at a higher temp? Understand you don't want it to be too low but 180 degrees sounds ok to me.

Please explain.
Emissions and efficiency usually increase at higher operating temperatures. Engine makers are required to reduce emissions and increase efficiency, so raising temperature is usually a first step.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Emissions and efficiency usually increase at higher operating temperatures. Engine makers are required to reduce emissions and increase efficiency, so raising temperature is usually a first step.
That makes sense.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #17

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty 40ft with 117000 miles on a 8.3 330hp Cummings engine. I bought it a year ago, but it has been sitting mostly. On a recent trip over the mountains going from Redmond Oregon to Eugene Oregon, the engine over heated, even with rpm at 2000 and about 40 mph. When I stopped to cool engine while in neutral and rpm at 1500 it took awhile to cool enough to proceed, and when I let rpm drop to 600 to engage drive the low oil pressure warning light came on. I just took it in to the shop, and they said the radiator is shot and needs to be replaced. Seems it is clogged from running the east coast where salt is used one the roads during the winter. They want $4200.00 to replace the radiator, mostly labor because of being a side mount. Has any one ever ran into this, and maybe know of a less costly way to fix this? Thanks, Bob
rallen1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallen1948 View Post
I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty 40ft with 117000 miles on a 8.3 330hp Cummings engine. I bought it a year ago, but it has been sitting mostly. On a recent trip over the mountains going from Redmond Oregon to Eugene Oregon, the engine over heated, even with rpm at 2000 and about 40 mph. When I stopped to cool engine while in neutral and rpm at 1500 it took awhile to cool enough to proceed, and when I let rpm drop to 600 to engage drive the low oil pressure warning light came on. I just took it in to the shop, and they said the radiator is shot and needs to be replaced. Seems it is clogged from running the east coast where salt is used one the roads during the winter. They want $4200.00 to replace the radiator, mostly labor because of being a side mount. Has any one ever ran into this, and maybe know of a less costly way to fix this? Thanks, Bob
That sounds like a high estimate to me but then again, I'm no MH expert. How many labor hours does that estimate represent? Wondering how much they charge per hour.

For your sake I'm hoping others with experience will chime in because it's hard for me to believe that a repair like this could cost that much.

Makes me rethink my decision to even own one of these beasts...
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #19

Quote:
That sounds like a high estimate to me but then again, I'm no MH expert. How many labor hours does that estimate represent? Wondering how much they charge per hour.

For your sake I'm hoping others with experience will chime in because it's hard for me to believe that a repair like this could cost that much.

Makes me rethink my decision to even own one of these beasts...

The repair shop said half of the cost was labor, the other half was the cost of a new radiator. Makes me wonder if rebuilding my radiator would be ok? Thanks for the reply...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #20

The shop said half the cost was labor and the other half was a new radiator. I wonder if one could rebuild the old radiator? Thanks for the reply..
Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I would not pay that much labor to install a used / rebuilt radiator. Your savings will be minimal. Find a trusted mechanic that works for a shop and see if he will do the job on the side and avoid the high overhead shop hourly rate. Pay the guy doing the work and not the shops rent. I would think a good mobile service tech could do the job. It is bolt on bolt off, just time consuming.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 AM   #22

Quote:
What is the advantage of running the engine at a higher temp? Understand you don't want it to be too low but 180 degrees sounds ok to me.

Please explain.
I prefer running diesel engines hot. Right now I would be happy if my engine
ran at 180. One of my thermostats or both are stuck open and I am just leaving
Newfoundland and will pick up new thermostats in Halifax as that is the nearest
place that I can get them. Right now I have more than 1/2 the radiator blocked
off and if it isn't too cold I can get it up to running temp.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #23

Quote:
The repair shop said half of the cost was labor, the other half was the cost of a new radiator. Makes me wonder if rebuilding my radiator would be ok? Thanks for the reply...
Thanks Again...
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
First, if it's not leaking I would clean it, you can't even see it if you don't go under and look from the engine side.
I replaced my radiator 2 years ago, I got mine from "The Radiator Supply House " in Sweethome Oregon. They have the old spec's from Monaco and say they can build it to match. I'm too picky to let someone else work on my coach so I'll try anything I can. The radiator is brass, with steel tanks. I replaced it myself. If the radiator IS an exact replacement it shouldn't cost $2000.00 for labor. Mine was $2200.00. They didn't send me the exact replacement so I had some modifications to do, that would have bumped the price up for sure. Something to remember, they will probably replace hoses, thermostat, coolant, trans cooler is in my radiator so lost some fluid etc and so on. Good time to replace hoses on intercooler too as you have to unbolt it from the coolant radiator.
Good luck, I would get it cleaned first, if it is original plan on replacing it when you can.
good luck,
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #25

Thanks for your info. Being I'm not able to R&R the radiator myself, can you tell me how many shop hours do you think it would take to do this? Thanks, Bob
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Cost to replace a radiator is really hard to nail down. I think your coach requires dropping the radiator out the bottom, mine had a panel over that area on hinges and I could flip it up making it easier to do the job. On mine the radiator is holds the CAC and the air conditioner condenser, they bolt to the radiator as well as the fan assembly. They can be unbolted and the radiator can be dropped out,,,at least on mine. I had a GUESS on rebuilding mine for $1300.00 to $1800.00, new was $2200.00. like I said, new coolant, probably thermostat, hoses, ect. If you had $2000.00 dollars labor that would be @$150.00 per hour, about 13 hours. IF,, the new radiator was exact fit that might be a little high but many times they don't fit exactly,,,at $150.00 an hour it can eat up a lot of money quick, making it fit. If you have your radiator rebuilt you can be sure it is correct.
Is it leaking? if not it probably needs to be cleaned, east coast salt doesn't get inside the radiator. But like I said, probably should look at replacing soon as you can.
Can't really answer the question, too many variables. Ask for a detailed list of work to be done and materials used.
Good luck again
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #27

Thanks for your info... This winter I might try going the long way to avoid the mountains to avoid overheating. As it runs fine on short climbs, and look at getting a new radiator next fall. Thanks Again, Bob
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest you do a radiator flush to make sure it's clean on the inside, and clean the outside of the radiator and inner cooler with a hose and some cleaner safe for the material the components are made of. A detergent and a hose end sprayer can do a lot of good for making things more efficient. Then drive the mountains and see how it does. Downshift as temps start to climb. You might consider new thermostat(s) too.

I'm curious, did the mechanic say what he meant by the "radiators shot." If it was leaking, I'd understand. If fins are bent, use a fin comb, available at most big home improvement stores.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote