Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Windsor Compartment Door separation

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how to fix compartment door panel separation on our 2000 Monaco Windsor 40PBS.

I've noticed at least two of the bottom compartment door panels are separating from outer panel to panel frame (see pics below)

Any DIY Monaco owner dealt with this issue before? Any advice how to fix this?

Thank you
Ali
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	216494  
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #2

I have repaired mine , cleaning the areas is probably the hardest part .

You need to buy 3M VHB tape ( very high bond ) it comes in a thin and
a thicker version .
I used the thicker , 1/2 inch wide

I bought mine on Amazon along with their 3M adhesive remover that works .

There are so many to choose from but this is what I bought .

3M RP25/GRY055 Scotch RP25 VHB Tape: 1/2" x 15 ft, Grey 3M 03618 Adhesive Remover - 12 oz.

Measure and buy extra , it takes a lot .

Get the surfaces clean then insert something as a prop to keep a gap

while you apply the tape because this stuff really sticks .
Of course you can take the door completely apart but I chose not to .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

If you want it to last Google "prep aluminum for epoxy". It is very important to prep the surface before epoxying. While aluminum does not rust, it does get a patina on the surface. Which fills in the voids that the epoxy binds to.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #4

Drill two holes ,install two rivets and paint head of rivets. Problem solved. Good solid fix. Hope this helps. Peter in Maine.
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

Hi Ali; Had the same thing on our 2001 Windsor after I bought it in 2015. Someone tried using silicone adhesive. That failed and the door looked like yours. Went up to our local Ace hardware and started reading tubes of construction adhesive. Gorilla Glue makes a construction adhesive that bonds aluminum. The worst part was cleaning the old silicone off. Did not want to bend the skin too far out and put a crease in it. Cleaned all the silicone off and wiped door frame with brake clean. Put bead of the Gorilla construction adhesive on door frame. You have about 20 min. to work with it. Used C clamps with 2X4's wrapped with towels for the outside painted surface and the steel part of the clamp on the frame. After clamping, remove excess adhesive. Let sit overnight. Just follow directions on tube. Has worked great. Never has had another separation. Fixed two other doors that were just staring to separate. Just shot the adhesive in with the nozzle on the tube and clamped. Hope this info helps! Ali, from what I understand, the reason this happens is owners letting the door drop and slam shut. I have never done this and had no problem on our previous 2000 Monaco Windsor that we were just the second owners. Just some FYI!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door