Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

2001 40 foot Monaco Executive with tag axle

I am going to look at a 2001 Monaco Executive 40 feet with tag axle today and would like some information about this model coach. Why a tag axle on a 40 footer, I've seen them on larger coaches but being fairly new to the Class A world haven't seen a 40 footer with it before.

Thanks;
Byron
byrsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #2

That tag axle will make that mh real stable on the road and it will not wander. No moving around in crosswinds. I highly recommend tag axles. It probably has the tag because of the amount of slides and the weight of the mh on the rear axle. What motor is in it. A Cummins ISM-500???? One more advantage is that a 2001 is before they started using EGR systems on the MH so the mpg is better.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
That tag axle will make that mh real stable on the road and it will not wander. No moving around in crosswinds. I highly recommend tag axles. It probably has the tag because of the amount of slides and the weight of the mh on the rear axle. What motor is in it. A Cummins ISM-500???? One more advantage is that a 2001 is before they started using EGR systems on the MH so the mpg is better.
That is the engine, the Cummins ISM-500. I thought stability might be the case but wasn't sure. From what I read that is a really good engine for use in RVs so I do like that part. I'll take any help with mpg I can get, I know from research that mileage isn't the selling point of any of these but glad for any help I'll have when I do make a purchase.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

That ISM-500 is a great motor and is what they call a million mile motor. It will also be coupled to the Allison 4000 transmission vice the 3000 which is great also. They transmission most likely came with Dexron ATF in at that time frame so it is important that you find out if it has been switched to the Allison Synthetic ATF called Transynd. If not then that is a $400 switch over but is well worth it because Allison does not approve using Dexron in their trannies anymore. Get as much maintence records as you can and make sure that the owners manual and wiring manuals come with the MH. Hopefully it has Aqua Hot also. Are you buying it in a private sale or off a lot?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

McMahon RV in Colton, California has the coach. We are going up this morning to take an initial look at to determine what we think and talk it over. If we like it will go back with the check list and do a thorough inspection. I like to have time to think before moving forward.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Bryon
Th tag was added around 2000 or 01 in coaches with a 23000lbs. rear axle (Dynasty and up) because they changed ? the weight limit for a single axle to 20000lbs (new bridge formula)and your coach was over that and had to change to be DOT compliant .......my 99 Exec. is 23000lbs rear ...no tag ... and "grandfathered" in
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Byron, With the tag axle, your CCC is probably around 9000#, if you compare that with a similar coach without a tag you'll probably find a lot lower CCC.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #8

Check those DOT dates on those tires!!!!!!. If they are more than four years old then you should make a deal with him to put Michelin Tires on it. Don't make a deal for cheap tires or Goodyear tires. The Goodyears will get rivering wear patterns. Also if no evidence of having Transynd in the tranny then switching the fluid and filters should be part of the deal. To switch to Transysnd has to be done twice for a complete switch over. Drain fluid, change filters, add Transynd, drive it for some time then drain it and change the filters and add Transysnd again. You cannot tell if it has Transysnd it it by smeel, taste or color. If it has Aqua-Hot have him start the Aqua Hot on just electricity first and wait thirty minutes and see if the water is hot then switch to diesel and listen for the burner coming on and staying on. Do not run the motor before or during these tests because it will heat the water and confuse things.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #9

What Mike said X2. I have a 40 foot tag axle Signature which is a close cousin of that Executive. At some point around 2000, Monaco started building all of their top 3 coaches on the tag axle Series S chassis. There were some 38' Dynasty's built with a tag. When on the road the tag is the best thing since sliced bread. Very stable. Less basement storage space. I have full timed for going on 6 years and do not miss the basement space. That being said, you never have quite enough space and wouldn't in a 100' coach.

Here is the brochure for that coach:

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...1Executive.pdf

Previous maintence is everything. If complete maintence records are not available for you to go through in detail, then require samples of the engine oil and the transmission fluid be sent for testing (google Blackstone Labs or JG labs). Also require a total maintence cycle, including air dryer, coolant, differential and front wheel bearings, and transmission. As Mike said require Transynd transmission fluid.

Look at the tire date codes. If the tires are close to 7 years old then they are ready to be replaced.

The generator and AquaHot also require regular maintence and you should inquire about that also.

These are outstanding coaches and if the deal looks good and the health of the coach checks out then go for it.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Excellent advice from Mike and Steve. Good luck Byron!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #11

Sounds like a great unit. BUT I will echo the comments on less storage space. For some that might be a deal breaker. I wish I had an ISM!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Sounds like a great unit. BUT I will echo the comments on less storage space. For some that might be a deal breaker. I wish I had an ISM!!!
Less storage space... the tag? or the Aquahot in a bay? Was it Steve that said you never have quite enough space?

I am not sure about the '01 exec, but the '03 Exec measures 41'5" long according to Monaco's spec, my '03 Dynasty is only 40'10" (sigh)

Your 08 Dynasty is probably a little longer, but like you I sure want an ISM!!! well maybe someday if I ever trade my Dynasty for another Monaco it'll probably be the biggest, most upscale Exec or Sig I can afford with an ISM
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

We went and we looked but didn't care for the Monaco the interior wood finished didn't suit my wife so we looked at other coaches while we were there. We did like a 2003 Beaver Patriot and are going back for another look at that.

Tags
monaco