RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

2001 Dynasty-Big Slide, No Go

I have been in Galveston for 3 days now with the big slide refusing to show any signs of life when i depress the slide out switch, there is no sign of life . I have checked lock-out switches in basement and they are ok. Also bypassed the switches with shorts and no improvement. Have looked at fuse in fuse panel and see one fuse which is ok. Have also examined the switches12 volt box in the engine compartment and tapped on relays and looked for loose wires on the relays and pushed them full on. None of those things work. it would help if i understood the electrical set up of the circuit. I am assuming 12 volts through the circuit switches which are closed if the doors are closed which either applies 12 volts to the motor or to a relay which enables the slide motor or switch. Bedroom slide works fine. Guess we can survive with slide in but sure would be nice for it to be out. i have searched the threads and have gotten some ideas, but nothing yet that solved the problem
Any ideas would be appreciated

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a hydraulic slide check the inline fuses at the motor/pump unit. Mine is on passenger side in front of steps. Open Genny slide and look to the bottom left.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Gary,
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty with only a main slide and hopefully I can provide some comments and two attachments that will be of assistance. One is a series of photos I took to help illustrate and locate the components discussed below and an Operators Manual from HWH. .

First, I had previous problem wherein my main slide would not operate and it was as due to one of the switches on a bay (basement) door not functioning. These switches are to assure the slide will not operate if one of the bay doors is open. All of the switches on these bay doors under the slide have NC contacts (when bay door is closed) and all of them are wired in series so that if any switch is activated or the contact opens due to a door being open, slide power is interrupted and the main slide will not function. So I would check to make sure all the switches are operating properly and the contacts are closed when the doors are closed.

Now to the Electrical Circuit.
Rear Run Bay - Inside this compartment located at the rear of the RV, on the Passenger Side there are two components that provide 12 v power for the Slide operation.
1. The first component is the 15 A Mini-Breaker that is located in the lower left corner of the rear run bay. This provides power to the standard Bosch style relay in the upper portion of this compartment.
2. The second component is the standard Bosch style relay that provides power to the series of bay door switches discussed above. Then the 12 v power is directed to the Slide control switch located inside the coach that is activated to move the slide either in or out.
These Bosch style relays have been known to fail as I have had a couple of them fail but they were not associated with the slide operation.

Under the Front of the Coach – The HWH hydraulic pump/control valve assembly is located under the nose of the coach, between the generator and Kwikee entrance steps. The valve assembly has individual solenoid coils that when activated, direct oil to the each hydraulic cylinder under the slide. This HWH pump/motor valve assembly controls both the hydraulic cylinders for the Main Slide as well as the single hydraulic cylinder for Onan Generator Slide. There are also two 15 A, standard ATC style fuses located in the wiring loom next to the HWH hydraulic pump/valve assembly as shown in the photos. One fuse is for providing 12 v control power for operating the main hydraulic pump/motor assembly that is used to operate the main slide, and the other is for operating the Onan generator slide. Both of these fuses provide 12 v control power to the main electric solenoid (mounted on the electric motor) that is responsible for energizing the main electric motor that produces hydraulic pressure to move the hydraulic cylinders to an extended or retracted movement, depending on which switch is activated inside the coach ( Main Slide or Generator).

I would suspect that you are experiencing a loose wire connection on one of the switches or relays, a Bosch relay not functioning properly, or one of the standard ATC style 15A fuses being bad.

Good Luck and hopefully this will be of assistance to you in getting your slide to operate correctly.

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monaco HWH Main Slide Control.pdf (420.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf HWH Operator Manual f Main Slide & Gen.pdf (203.6 KB, 198 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Jack

Thank you very much for the information and the two downloads!! That is exactly what i was looking for! I will look at the logical points today now that i know where to look. Where did you find those files. Were they here on the forum or elsewhere? If they are here, I don't know where to look, but that really helps me understand the operation of the system. The pictures of the compartments show the wiring is in different compartments, but otherwise identical general components. Very helpful! I will post a reply once i find out what cures the problem.

Gary
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Gary,
Don't feel bad that you could not find the manual in IRV2 as I did not get it from this forum. I had downloaded that manual somewhere on the internet shortly after I purchased this 2001 Dynasty back in the Summer of 2007.

Since I have spend my career with specifying and maintaining railway maintenance and heavy equipment, I not only enjoy RV camping, but also get a great deal of satisfaction pursing to try and understand exactly how everything in an RV works, and doing my own maintenance, modifications and upgrades.

Glad to be of assistance, and feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Fixed it but not certain how

Thought I needed to post a reply about my fix. Thanks to Jack, I had a number of ideas. Unfortunately, I checked three or four things simultaneously, the slide started to work, and problem is solved (at least for now) but I am not absolutely sure what did the trick. I have my guess.

I checked the in line fuses and connections at the slide motor. That all seemed right. Then I again pulled off the plexiglass cover over the 12 volt distribution box in the rear engine compartment to examine the Bosch type relays. Checked wire snugness and tapped the relays in case something was stuck. That all seemed OK. Then I went back to the 7.5 amp fuse in the exterior main power distribution box under the driver window. I checked it first four days ago. It was still fine according to the digital voltmeter. I again scraped the two fuse "Legs/pegs" because they seemed to be oxidized. Tried the switch and still no joy. Out of frustration, I just replaced the 7.5 amp fuse with the closest I had (10 amp) and gave it a try and out the slide went!!! I have since bought 7.5 amp replacements to be back to spec.

I am sure the 7.5 amp fuse that was in the circuit was, and is, good, but my guess is that the problem was either oxidation on the fuse pins or oxidation in the socket metal which mates with the fuse, and simply was not making a solid connection....... However I can't be sure. I will post a follow up in here if everything continues to perform as designed

Thanks everyone for the help

Hope you all drive many safe miles

Gary
Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #7

I figured it out

I thought that I owed everyone that might have followed the thread the solution to the problem that I found. The problem was that the slide was inconsistent in its operation. The typical pattern was that the big slide would not extend out for a day or two after we arrived where-ever we were going and I would spend lots of time checking wiring, safety switches, etc. until a day or two later, it would "magically" start to work, just about the time that I would completely give up. However, when I give up, i, or course, keep checking back on the problem every day, and then the slide would fix itself and start working.

Anyhow, about the only thing that I had not checked was the master slide switch up on the power-metering and tank level panel above the DW's seat. When I really started to look at it, I could see that someone had left screwdriver marks all over it and it looked like people had tried to remove the switch. It is a double pole, double throw, momentary switch. Center is neutral, and one pole makes the slide extend, and the other direction makes the slide retract. it is a Double-pole, double throw momentary (spring loaded) switch. I also noted that it looked like someone had removed the wood switch panel a number of times so I figured this was the problem. I found two potential problems. I found that one of the push-on 12 volt wiring connectors on the back of the switch was not making a solid contact, it was like it was too "loose". So I crimped it down slightly so that it was harder to push onto the male terminal post and made a more solid connection. The other potential problem was that the switch was bad. I have not been on the road much since the "discovery" of the problem so cant tell if it is the switch or the loose connection that is the real problem. The crimping fixed the problem for now.

I also found that Grainger Corporation (national parts and electrical / mechanical supplier)(www.Grainger.com) carried that exact switch. Search for DPDT momentary switches. There are a bunch of similar but different switches, but the exact replacement switch is there. The cost of a new one was about $12.00 so I bought a spare to keep in the tool chest for an emergency replacement, or when I discover on my next trip that the crimp did not fix the problem.

Thanks for all the help of those that responded

Gary

Travel many more safe miles....
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Gary, I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty with only a main slide and hopefully I can provide some comments and two attachments that will be of assistance. One is a series of photos I took to help illustrate and locate the components discussed below and an Operators Manual from HWH. . First, I had previous problem wherein my main slide would not operate and it was as due to one of the switches on a bay (basement) door not functioning. These switches are to assure the slide will not operate if one of the bay doors is open. All of the switches on these bay doors under the slide have NC contacts (when bay door is closed) and all of them are wired in series so that if any switch is activated or the contact opens due to a door being open, slide power is interrupted and the main slide will not function. So I would check to make sure all the switches are operating properly and the contacts are closed when the doors are closed. Now to the Electrical Circuit. Rear Run Bay - Inside this compartment located at the rear of the RV, on the Passenger Side there are two components that provide 12 v power for the Slide operation. 1. The first component is the 15 A Mini-Breaker that is located in the lower left corner of the rear run bay. This provides power to the standard Bosch style relay in the upper portion of this compartment. 2. The second component is the standard Bosch style relay that provides power to the series of bay door switches discussed above. Then the 12 v power is directed to the Slide control switch located inside the coach that is activated to move the slide either in or out. These Bosch style relays have been known to fail as I have had a couple of them fail but they were not associated with the slide operation. Under the Front of the Coach – The HWH hydraulic pump/control valve assembly is located under the nose of the coach, between the generator and Kwikee entrance steps. The valve assembly has individual solenoid coils that when activated, direct oil to the each hydraulic cylinder under the slide. This HWH pump/motor valve assembly controls both the hydraulic cylinders for the Main Slide as well as the single hydraulic cylinder for Onan Generator Slide. There are also two 15 A, standard ATC style fuses located in the wiring loom next to the HWH hydraulic pump/valve assembly as shown in the photos. One fuse is for providing 12 v control power for operating the main hydraulic pump/motor assembly that is used to operate the main slide, and the other is for operating the Onan generator slide. Both of these fuses provide 12 v control power to the main electric solenoid (mounted on the electric motor) that is responsible for energizing the main electric motor that produces hydraulic pressure to move the hydraulic cylinders to an extended or retracted movement, depending on which switch is activated inside the coach ( Main Slide or Generator). I would suspect that you are experiencing a loose wire connection on one of the switches or relays, a Bosch relay not functioning properly, or one of the standard ATC style 15A fuses being bad. Good Luck and hopefully this will be of assistance to you in getting your slide to operate correctly. Jack
I don't see the attachments but I would like to have them please
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #9

Gary, Im sorry I did not read your post sooner. yes I had the same problem. It was the switch in the wall. Loose connections.
Sorry I would have let you know sooner.
Jim
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting this folks. I have perused every sentence. I know my time is coming and this is an excellent resource for trouble shooting tips.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

the old switch on the wall was my fix to I try to use the k.i.s.s. process when working on a problem and always look for the easy fix first.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #12

Jeff753

The two attachments are still there and accessible. The links are at the bottom of Yukon Jack's original post. I just downloaded them again from this server and forum. If you are running security software (I run Kaspersky Internet Security), then your security software may be preventing you from getting the downloadl. Kaspersky shows a small box at the bottom left whenever I try to download a file or picture and then lets me open it, save it, or whatever, but it always runs a scan on it before it lets me do anything. When you click on the links at the bottom of Yukon Jack's post, do you get anything at the top (windows standard security bar) or at the bottom that stops you from seeing it until you give the computer permission to actually show it?

If you can't get it, I have both of Yukon Jack's files saved on my computer and I can send them to you as an email attachment.

Gary

Drive Many More Safe Miles.......
Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sure glad you got it going Gary!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags