Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Question 2001 Monaco Dynasty

We are getting close to buying a 2001 Monaco Dynasty. Our challenge is that the coach is far away from where we live, so we are having to rely on pics, videos, and the salesperson for information. The coach is extremely clean with lots of nice upgrades. We will be putting down a refundable deposit before we fly out to get the coach. They are stating that everything is working on the coach, but when they do a final inspection and they find anything not working that they will replace/repair it before we leave with it. This is scary and exciting at the same time. ANY advise, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Anyone with a 2001 Dynasty that could let us know the pros and cons on their coach would be welcome!!!! We will be full-timing with this coach.
GBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

I'd make sure all their promises are in legally binding writting. Are they offering any kind of warranty on it? Do the repairs have to be done at their location? You said it's a long ways away so be prepared. With a coach this old it goes without saying that you will have at least some minor problems. Have your tow insurance in place before you start for home. I don't mean to scare you but Good Sam paid $800 to have me towed 12 miles to a shop. Turned out to be a leak in a heater hose where it connected to the block. Hose was original and just cracked from heat and age. It was located in a hard to see place so it was just one of those things that happens with older coaches.
Hope every thing works out with the coach.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I would get a guarantee in writing that the deposit will be refunded if you are not satisfied with the coach. Work with your insurance agent about having it covered on the way home. Select your roadside assistance policy and get it in force before driving it home. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

We have 2003 dynasty regal isl 400 and I would not trade it for a new one It is much better quality. I have made lots of updates but that I wanted not had to do. Turn on every switch and have a salesperson explain all the options and how they work. I made a iPhone video of how to do it. If you have a need for a close owners info email me dupdyke gmail
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search, there is a preowned inspection list floating around on IRV2, well worth getting a copy.

Are you capable of doing a thorough inspection, if not it may be to your benefit to hire someone.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBower View Post
We are getting close to buying a 2001 Monaco Dynasty. Our challenge is that the coach is far away from where we live, so we are having to rely on pics, videos, and the salesperson for information. The coach is extremely clean with lots of nice upgrades. We will be putting down a refundable deposit before we fly out to get the coach. They are stating that everything is working on the coach, but when they do a final inspection and they find anything not working that they will replace/repair it before we leave with it. This is scary and exciting at the same time. ANY advise, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Anyone with a 2001 Dynasty that could let us know the pros and cons on their coach would be welcome!!!! We will be full-timing with this coach.
Where is the coach? maybe you can get lucky and someone reading this thread is close to it and could stop by to give you a little better un-biased opinion. I found salesmen and pictures can paint a pretty picture of just about anything.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Hi GBower; Ahhh, a Dynasty. Always wanted one. But since I wanted at least a 2000 or newer 34', not many made and when they go up for sale and in good condition, they don't last long. A Dynasty of that era is a well built, all steel frame coach that is so much better built than some of the coaches today in the 250K plus range. My opinion! In 2015 I made two long treks from Washington state to Az. and Ca. Both ended up in disappointment. Ditto on what other owners here have posted. Do not know where you are and where the coach is located. I agree with Windsorbill, if someone is close to the Dynasty you are interested in, maybe they would love to go over and look at it and send you some pictures along with their own perspective of the Dynasty. Everyone is going to look at the coach in their own different way. It might not matter to you, but if the Dynasty has lived it's life in the southwest, out side in the sun, you could have some clear coat pealing problems on the front and rear caps along with some checking in the strips if the paint scheme has dark colors. Pictures from sales people are not the best to relay on. They want you to come see the coach. So they make sure to take the best pictures. I was told by the owner of a 2002 36' Dynasty that I went to look at in L.A. only had some scratches, not perfect. Would have been about 3K plus to fix just the paint along with other problems I found. Grill the dealer good. Ask lots of questions mentioned by others here and GET lots of pictures from every area on the outside of the coach and also the inside. Make them take lost of pictures of the roof. Don't forget about the tires! Big expense along with all the batteries. Ask here and the owners will try to give you the best of our knowledge. A Dynasty is a nice coach! I have an 01 Windsor, the model right below in the Monaco lineup. My wife and I love it. You can go to the Monaco web site and download a brochure. That will give you all the specifications, weights and measures. Best of luck in your purchase.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants - Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

2001 Monaco Dynasty

Wow!!! THANKS Everyone for your advice and suggestions! We appreciate every ones comments. Some advice we have already done, and we will definitely consider the others. We are going to try and find a Certified Mechanic to inspect the coach. Also, we will be asking for everything in writing. Now hopefully we can settle on a price (I was able to get the wholesale cost on the coach and feel they are still too high for a 2001) Thanks again.......this is so stressful!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

2001 Monaco Dynasty

We purchased a 2001 Monica Dynasty 40' tag two and a half years ago and love it. Being 16 years old we always have small problems but nothing that I haven't been able to fix myself. Learning all of the systems was the hardest thing for me and I quickly learned if I had a problem first thing I would do is sit down with the owners manual some of my problems were self inflicted. I bought ours from a private party and it had 2 years left on a warranty that I transferred into my name and it expired and I never had to use it. Make sure that you get the owners manual and the wiring schematic book along with all service records.
If it is priced right I wouldn't waste any time going to look at it.

Jeff & Mindy Buckmaster
Southern California
JeffBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

2001 Monaco Dynasty

Thanks everyone......since the Dynasty was so far away from us, we have decided to pass. We are now looking at a 2003 Sig, which is only 100 miles away. Better deal and I can touch, feel this one!!! Thanks again!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #12

That sig is dynastys rich brother you sould be happy
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco