Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

2001 Monaco Knight 36- Thinking of Purchase

Hello All,

I am going to look at a 2001 Knight today. I have been researching this forum and would like to thank all those who have been contributing some very useful info. Especially on the brakes and the sway bar issue. I'm hoping this one is free from the sway bar issue and i can just get away with getting the brakes done.

One issue my potential unit has is the paint on the front of the home is peeling.

I'll post up some pics if i get it. Its the burgundy one.

Regards,
steveoreano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you finalize any purchase, I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Steve if you haven't went to the Roadmaster chassis forum I would suggest you do.
One susgestion that came from a friend of mine that has a 02 Knight with the famous disc brake problem , he is pretty sure he has solved the caliper piston problem by flushing the brake fluid once a year he said that as moisture builds up in the fluid. The piston material in the caliper according to him swells over time when it comes in contact with water. He has been doing the above for a few yrs now without a problem.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks Guys. I'm looking and taking all your input with me.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #5

Good evening Steve; I need someone to correct me on this, but, did the Knight for that year have the Trailing Arm Issue. I am not sure, but I know someone else here will chime in on this issue. If the Knight had that problem you will need to see if it was fixed by Monaco under a recall or the previous or current owner addressed the problem. If there is one, not sure. Just things in my head that go round and round. Trying to get you as much info as possible. On another note, I almost bought a new 2003 Knight in 03 but changed my mind when I found a 2000 Windsor for less money. Better ride and build quality. Just my opinion thrown in. If the Knight fits your needs and budget and is in great shape, go for it. Also like Walt said, I knew that there were some problems with the hydraulic brake systems. I decided that the air brakes were the way to go for me. Sorry to keep throwing my opinion in.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Veraken,

How much (roughly) should I expect to pay for the inspection(s) and fluid analysis? I am considering a 2000 Knight with 87K miles. There are a few issues I am aware of but nothing I consider a deal killer...AND a good price.

Thank you,

Owen
My6N1Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you go to the JG Lubricant web site ( Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service ) and click on the on line store, you can see their price list. The cost for the inspection of the RV will vary for each location but should cost @200-$300. The same holds true for the diesel mechanic and will cost $300-$400. Your total cost would be under $1000, which is expensive but well worth it considering how much you would be spending on the MH itself. The info can also be used to negotiate the price depending on what's found.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #8

Still looking at this unit. It only has 35,000 miles but it is quite beat up inside and has a few more issues. Clunk in one of the shocks when you go over a bump, leaking oil around back of engine, backup camera not working, carpets toast, clearcoat chipping all over the front and on back fender. The good parts are stored inside, and clean looking on the outside. Very difficult choice. Oh, has two new roof air cons.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This vintage Knight is on a RR4R chassis. The Knights changed to RR8R in 2005. I think you would be better served with a Diplomat (next model up from the Knight) on the RR8R
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoreano View Post
Still looking at this unit. It only has 35,000 miles but it is quite beat up inside and has a few more issues. Clunk in one of the shocks when you go over a bump, leaking oil around back of engine, backup camera not working, carpets toast, clearcoat chipping all over the front and on back fender. The good parts are stored inside, and clean looking on the outside. Very difficult choice. Oh, has two new roof air cons.
Well Steve that tells you a lot, i would bet he didnt keep up with the maintance on the coach i would defintly want to test all fluids. The carpet is not a bad job for a doityourselfer i have done two, you will need a air staple gun and a air compressor.
What engine ISB or ISC.
Go here for more info on the coach
http://www.monacocoach.com/resources...25_brc_pdf.pdf
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

Ian 300 hsp. Another test drive today. 28,000 Canadian. About 23,000US. Had two new roof air units last year. New rad and trams cooler a few years ago. Stored under cover. All panels and roof in good condition. New water heater. So much good and yet so much bad.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The cheap comes out expensive. Based on the problems you described, engine, shocks, etc. you could be facing some very significant $$$. I would walk away!! There are many used RV to choose from. Take your time.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The cheap comes out expensive. It may look nice, but it's what you don't see that's going to cost you. Based on the problems you described, engine, shocks, etc. you could be facing some very significant $$$. I would walk away!! There are many used RV to choose from. Take your time.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #14

Don't walk away, RUN!!
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, purchase