Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

2001 Monaco Signature fuel gauge pegs past full.

The fuel gauge in my camper pegs past full. I've read that this could be a ground issue or perhaps a sending unit issue. Does anyone have wiring instructions for the sender or other ideas? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I see you have numerous posts for your rig, it must be new to you.

Anyway, the fuel gauge sending unit, if like mine is made by Centroid. There is a method to adjust if it is functional. Here is a copy of the procedure. My sending unit was accessible and I was able to clean off the top to find the adjusting screw. Good luck and let us know if you are successful in getting it calibrated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Sending unit calibration Centroid.pdf (118.8 KB, 464 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Beware that algae can "short" the centroid sensor causing your symptoms. Use biobor jf if you are not already. Dirt can accumulate on top of tank and cause your symptoms as well. Centroid has a troubleshooting guide to aid in isolating problem. The sensors do fail on a regular basis. It is almost never the gauge itself.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

As DtBt said, the tank sensors fail routinely on coaches of your age. The failure mode is sometimes the electronics in the head of the tank sensor, but I think more often it is deposits inside the aluminum sensor tube. Many folks have tried cleaning the inside of the sensor tube with brake cleaner or other solvent and been successful. It did not work on mine, and I had to replace the sensor. About $95 from Centroid. If you send Centroid the exact height measurement of your current sensor, it
will come to you pre-calibrated and all you have to do is drop it in.

Carefully label your wires as you remove them. And be aware that on some coaches there is barely enough room to remove the long sensor.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

Rphcampers, fuel sending units usually go low resistance for the fuel gauge to read full or above full. So if the wire from the gauge to the tank is shorted out then the gauge reads full. If the wire is broken or loose then the gauge reads empty all the time. The big question is if it is the wire, the sending unit in the tank or the gauge. If you open up the fuel tank door on the passenger side then you should be able to easily get to the sending unit top on the top of the tank. Mark the terminals and take the wires off the unit and see if the gauge goes to empty. If it does then the sending unit is at fault. If it remains at full then it is the wire or the gauge is faulty.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When mine failed, it went to over full. They can get fouled with algae, a diode can fail or detect water contamination. All show over full. Talk to the Lady at Centroid, she can look up the exact unit have it made to order and shipped to you in about ten days.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My gauge went to full and stayed. Thought I was getting GREAT mileage at first but to no avail. Did the troubleshooting tests from Joel and was told it was a diode failed and I needed to replace sending unit. Took pictures with IPhone to identify wire locations, removed it (very easy) and gave my exact model number to Centroid and they made me an EXACT replacement. It was already calibrated. I used a tape measure to see how much fuel was in the tank, it was 1" above half. When new unit was installed gauge read just over half... perfect....

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel sender 2.JPG
Views:	824
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	94080

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel sender.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	94081

Good luck
Dave
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #8

Thanks Dave, that is great info.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #9

Suggestions on where to get a fuel gauge?

Thanks for all of the ideas. Monaco tech support said I could test my fuel system by shorting the send wire on the solenoid to the neutral wire. At this point, the gauge should sweep to empty (cycle the ignition after shorting the wire). If the gauge goes to empty, the sending unit is bad. Mine stayed pegged past full... gauge likely the problem. Next test, short the send wire on the back of the gauge to the ground. If the gauge goes to empty, the gauge is good and your wiring from the sending unit is bad. Unfortunately, my gauge stayed pegged past full. The short seemed effective because it made the fuel light come on, even though the gauge did not go to empty. To find the send wire on the back of the gauge, I used a cheap AutoZone tester that lights up and beeps on a hot terminal. The ground bolts are on the mounting bar for the gauge. The hot wire beeps really loud and the send wire beeps softer (less hot). The ignition must be on for these wires to be hot. So.... now that I know my gauge is bad, any idea if I can repair it or where to source a new one? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check out Northwest RV supply website. You might get lucky, they have some for Monacos. BTW the part number is usually on the side of the gauge.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
CENTROID PRODUCTS

Here the website from Centroid that has the ordering form or you can call them.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

FIXED!

Northwest RV Supply had a fuel gauge. Swapped it out... problem solved! Thanks for the help everyone!

Tags
fuel, monaco