Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

2001 Monaco Signature ground wire now hot

Upon getting my coach out of storage this spring, I noticed the rear view camera, stereo, trip tek, and nav computer did not work. After more investigation, I've discovered that the ground wires for all of these components now has a charge on it (ie... now a positive wire). When the coach was put into storage, all was fine. Any ideas where to begin the search for answers? Rodent nibbling? Thanks for any help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ground wires turn hot when where they ground is no longer going to ground you just need to clean your grounds.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with Paul: the ground wires for all of those devices must come together at a common point. Then, somewhere after that point the common ground wire has broken, corroded, or come loose. Look for a common ground wire and ground wire connection point. Something around there will need to be cleaned/tightened/repaired.

As a simple test: where you measured the "hot" ground, connect a temporary wire between that point and a good known ground, and I'll bet all of those devices start working again. That will be proof that you need to track down where the ground connection is broken.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

on my Sig there are a couple of common ground bus bars. I have panels that open up on the top of each side of the, dash. If all the gauges are working ok I would suspect the loose ground is on the passenger side grounding bar. Go in and see if you can find the common bar and check the connections on it. Take resistance reading from the bar to a. Good ground and see what it reads.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco