Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

2001 Monaco Windsor 40' dash lights

My dash lights are not bright when driving in dark. All instruments are illuminated but not bright. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, they are not very bright. I had one instrument light that was very dim. I removed the entire gauge panel to access it. They are #161, 2.66w wedge base mini bulbs.

A #194, 3.78w wedge base bulb will fit, but it increases the load and heat on the small circuit board about 40%. I'm not sure it will withstand that increase. I looked for an LED replacement but at the time could not find one small enough (in size).

I gave up and installed a new long life 161LL and it is slightly brighter than the original bulbs. You could just install all new 161LL bulbs.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
dumb question but have you tried adjusting brightness by twisting the headlights knob?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	201918  
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Change the switch.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Switch is ok. All other items are bright but not the odometer. I was jokingly told at the place I purchased that most rvs are not on the road after dark which is mostly correct but I still would like this bright.
grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimb View Post
My dash lights are not bright when driving in dark. All instruments are illuminated but not bright. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
I have the same problem all are very dim. previous owner changed headlight switch hoping it would help. One thing I have noticed when the headlight is pulled out, the knob gets real warm almost hot.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimb View Post
... All other items are bright but not the odometer. ...
Ah, odometer! This is a design flaw in the speedometer/odometer design. The only time I fixed one of these I cut open the speedometer and added some LED lights.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem on my dash. I installed this blue led light array on the steering column pointing toward the dash. I wired it to the existing dash light pot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	202072  
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #9

Smile Windsor dash lites....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I agree, they are not very bright. I had one instrument light that was very dim. I removed the entire gauge panel to access it. They are #161, 2.66w wedge base mini bulbs.

A #194, 3.78w wedge base bulb will fit, but it increases the load and heat on the small circuit board about 40%. I'm not sure it will withstand that increase. I looked for an LED replacement but at the time could not find one small enough (in size).

I gave up and installed a new long life 161LL and it is slightly brighter than the original bulbs. You could just install all new 161LL bulbs.
I had trouble with dash lights and finally found that I had to place another groud wire in back of instrument panel and that fixed everything.
Red Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I have the same problem all are very dim. previous owner changed headlight switch hoping it would help. One thing I have noticed when the headlight is pulled out, the knob gets real warm almost hot.
X2
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
This is due to the poor design of the dash light dimmer system. Back in the 1940s and 1950s when a dash had perhaps five bulbs, a simple resistor dimmer would work fine. Today, our coaches have perhaps as many as 50 bulbs in gauges, switches and controls. The real answer is to install a newer design PWM (pulse-width modulated) dimmer, which will last forever and run cool and efficiently.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a Star wars thing right?

Tags
dash, light, lights, monaco