Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PWD exh brake inop

This unit is new to me just working thru some of this issues . it has the foot switch for the exhaust brake but i do have the abs module out for repair could this prevent it from operating.? it is 8.3 cummins engine thanks in advance
smballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. Mine won't engage when the cruise control is on, but I don't know how the ABS system is wired.

The PAC brake itself is pretty easy to test without the coach moving or even running. Mine sits on top of the engine, right over the exhaust manifold. It has two wires going to the actuator and there is a two pin connector right before the brake. You can disconnect it there and apply ground and 12 volts to the two pins on the brake side of the connector. It should energize the solenoid which should engage the brake. If that works, then the problems is somewhere between there and the brake pedal and could very well be the ABS module. I used a trickle charger to supply the 12 volts and ground to test the system.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the input my abs module should be back soon if that doesn't fix it I'll start testing .thanks for the reply
smballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smballou View Post
This unit is new to me just working thru some of this issues . it has the foot switch for the exhaust brake but i do have the abs module out for repair could this prevent it from operating.? it is 8.3 cummins engine thanks in advance
It may not help but the 2000 Diplomat wiring diagrams are in the files section you can download.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=140

Hope this helps.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a wiring diagram for my 2002 Windsor. Don't know exactly the interaction but the Pac Brake communicates with the Allision w/ATC so it may not operate without the the ABS module installed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not an expert but the PACbrake isn't a brake on the wheel. It works with the engine exhaust.
"The exhaust brake was introduced into the market place over 50 years ago as the need for supplemental braking was requested. The exhaust brake works on a principle of restricting the exhaust flow on the exhaust stroke of the engine to provide retarding. The amount of exhaust restriction allowed is based on the strength of the exhaust valve springs as not to allow valve float throughout the normal engine cycle. The conventional design to achieve the correct amount of backpressure is with a fixed orifice hole in a butterfly valve, sized to limit backpressure to a specific amount at governed engine RPM.
Although fixed orifice exhaust brake designs do work well, the engine must be held near governed engine RPM to optimize their effectiveness. With this challenge in mind, Pacbrake engineers invented the patented PRXB, which holds the maximum allowable backpressure throughout the entire RPM range."

Tags
monaco, brake