Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2001 Scepter loss of power and black smoke resolved

Hi folks. I had posted earlier about loss of power in my ISC. I had low boost and black exhaust. It turned out to be the radiator and charge air cooler. The rig ran very warm, almost hot on any long grade with speeds down to 35 mph. Masseys in Phoenix had the air cooler rebuilt at a local shop, and installed a new radiator that is 30% more capacity than my original, and just having returned from a 4,000 mile trip, it never got above 200 degrees, cruising at 180 (degrees, not mph) and I am now maintaining 52 mph on long 6% grades. They also installed a new surge tank while the repairs were being done.
My wallet is pretty flat right now, but the rig sure runs great !
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
good deal. Glad its back to normal operation. The $$ part is unfortunate, but that's what we class A owners seem to be on the planet for ;-), I just did 4K miles also (from tx to Brunswick Maine and bk).

Look at it this way, the CAC and Rad wont be what you have to deal with for a while.. maybe something else, but it wont be that..

I also have a 6cyl turbo BMW.. talk about $$$. I should just shoot myself in the foot now, I'd heal faster.

I do get some :-D out of both my turbo 6s though..
Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

I have a 2001 Scepter and would be interested in knowing what the upgrades cost if you don't mind. Fortunately I don't have an over heating problem at this point but my ISC is starting to blow smoke that is more and more noticeable. I did a 2000 miles trip from So California to Idaho in June and pulled a 5000lb trailer. I've only owned the coach for a year and this was my first time driving up grades that steep. Not sure if I'm down on power but there were some hills I felt I should have been able to do better then 35mph.
L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My toad is 5000 lbs so our weight is even. When I had power loss 35 in 3rd gear was the norm on 6% grades, after the repairs 52 in 4th gear is the norm. All together repairs were about $5,000.
The clamps on the 3" hoses connecting the charge air cooler can come loose and also cause your symptom. Open up your closet hatch and look directly above the radiator. There is a steel tube and 3" clamp on each side. Check to see if the roughly 6" long rubber hoses are clamped correctly and have no holes in them
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
My toad is 5000 lbs so our weight is even. When I had power loss 35 in 3rd gear was the norm on 6% grades, after the repairs 52 in 4th gear is the norm. All together repairs were about $5,000.
The clamps on the 3" hoses connecting the charge air cooler can come loose and also cause your symptom. Open up your closet hatch and look directly above the radiator. There is a steel tube and 3" clamp on each side. Check to see if the roughly 6" long rubber hoses are clamped correctly and have no holes in them
Great info and I really appreciate it. I should have some time this weekend to check those items and I'll report back my findings.
L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
black exhaust is usually unburnt diesel... from either too much fuel or not enough air...

the tuned diesel pickups would just dump fuel in so air, instead of fuel, was the limiting factor... and a loose or split turbo intake hose would definitely limit the air getting into the mix, so it would leave unburnt fuel....

Also, a clogged air filter may contribute SOME to that, but a hose issue is more likely the culprit... good luck
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We (me, wife and 2 yorkies) just checked into a motel (never thought we'd do that again!) after the verdict from the local (Farmington, NM) Cummins Rocky Mountain shop. I now know more that I ever waned to about a CAC. Dropped the coach off this morning at 8am. [smoky exhaust] Call back at 11 am. They had pressure tested the air system and the CAC was leaking badly. Said come look. So we did. You could hear the air leak from at least 20 feet away. The needle on the pressure gauge hardly moved when they opened the valve to pressure the system. They pulled the CAC and sent it to their local shop for evaluation. Cummins called back at 2:15 - not repairable. Drove back to Cummins. Bad news. Nobody has a CAC for a 2002 Monaco Windsor. Called my home Cummins shop and talked to them. They backed up the problem of finding a CAC. Said if you need a new one it will have to be built-to-order. Called Monaco parts (REV), they said had to be built and that would be 5-6 weeks out. The local shop said it could be done & shipped by next Wednesday. At least that's what they told their fabricator. We'll see. Not here before Labor Day. So we're here thru Labor Day. Ugh!

We are now singing "the Farmington NM blues". Anyone else know that one? At least we'll have time to view all the National Parks within 200 miles... And there are a lot of them out here. The scenery is incredible. [Gotta keep your sense of humor...]

In the picture you can see the long crack and the 2 top tubes that have lost their "solder" or whatever. Don't know how it ran. Am looking for more power when done. I'd think mileage should go up, too. Hope to have the same results as monacojim. I guess that will include a slimmer wallet, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170825_150453_001a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	174397  

Tags
loss of power, power