Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Diplomat Furnace

I have a 40 foot 2002 Diplomat and I'm looking for some help with the furnace.

There are 2 thermostats, one just to the side of the passenger seat which seems to control everything and one right beside the galley that appears to be a simple temperature controller.

I need help in figuring out how to make the furnace run, the instructions in my manual are not very good at explaining the functions.

i.e. what are zones 1 and 2? Why are there 2 thermostats? If the ceiling a/c works to cool, why does the heat pump not put out heat?

In general I need a furnace for dummies guide, so if I could get that from you people here, I will be forever grateful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

I don't know your exact set up but I will try.

You have 2 A/C units. Hence zone one and zone two. You said Heat Pumps. The A/C compressors are also the heat source. Each compressor has a reversing valve which reverses the gas flow pushes to cold air outside and the hot air inside. It takes a few minuets to feel the heat come out of the ceiling vents. it will NOT be as hot as the furnace. The heat pumps will not produce heat below 32 degrees outside air temp.

The second one you are calling a temp control is most likely the t-stat for the gas furnace. Newer RV's have all combined into one.

hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #3

Hi Farkey; On your Diplomat according to the brochure's on Monaco's web site you have 2 Dometic A/C-Heat Pumps on your coach. You should have the 5 button thermostat. If you go to Dometic's web site I think they might have the instructions for the roof units and the thermostat. In a quick nutshell, Zone 1 is the front roof unit. This is where the you can select the furnace control. Zone 2 is the one above the bedroom and the only option you don't have is the furnace. Furnace is controlled by zone one only. Does the thermostat with the single control have the words, Koolmatic on the control? If so that is for the big fan above the kitchen that is 12V operated. Should be a white grill in the ceiling with a knob that selects the 3 speeds of the fan. When turned on and a temp. is selected on the control the fan will turn on to exhaust hot air from the coach and bring the temp. down to what you selected. This unit is a fan only, no cooling or heating. Hope this info gets you going. You should be able to go on-line and find all the manuals for these controls. Good luck and have a great upcoming holiday!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the second thermostat looks like the one in this picture, it's for the Fantastic fan auto control.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreifels View Post
If the second thermostat looks like the one in this picture, it's for the Fantastic fan auto control.
Yes it looks just like that one.

What is the Fantastic fan control?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Farkey; On your Diplomat according to the brochure's on Monaco's web site you have 2 Dometic A/C-Heat Pumps on your coach. You should have the 5 button thermostat. If you go to Dometic's web site I think they might have the instructions for the roof units and the thermostat. In a quick nutshell, Zone 1 is the front roof unit. This is where the you can select the furnace control. Zone 2 is the one above the bedroom and the only option you don't have is the furnace. Furnace is controlled by zone one only. Does the thermostat with the single control have the words, Koolmatic on the control? If so that is for the big fan above the kitchen that is 12V operated. Should be a white grill in the ceiling with a knob that selects the 3 speeds of the fan. When turned on and a temp. is selected on the control the fan will turn on to exhaust hot air from the coach and bring the temp. down to what you selected. This unit is a fan only, no cooling or heating. Hope this info gets you going. You should be able to go on-line and find all the manuals for these controls. Good luck and have a great upcoming holiday!
I'll check on that later today.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
Yes it looks just like that one.

What is the Fantastic fan control?

The ceiling fan in the galley.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Furnace Fan

I have the furnace started but the blower/fan does not push the heat out with any force.

The vent on the floor outside the toilet blows the strongest, but even that is weak. It does not blow strong enough to heat the MH.

The heat coming out from the outside furnace heating vent is enough to light a fire.....almost, but it I very hot so that is not an issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

I would give it some time to heat up, heating vents are not high air volume. If you have a thermometer place it in the vent, should be over 90 degree air if working.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

Forgot, did you check your thermostat for having fan speed control.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Forgot, did you check your thermostat for having fan speed control.
I will check that shortly. But if memory serves me, it does not have any control.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No there is no fan control while on furnace and it does blow but not much, it just lifts a 1/2 paper towel.

I was outside sitting in it for about 2 hours and it barely reached 50F degrees.

????????????
Old 12-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #13

Did you check your filter, may be plugged. Do you have a picture of your stat.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
re: heat pumps I just spent a week in Reno with lows of 12 degrees farenheit and the heat pumps worked flawlessly. Re: your furnace it should have good airflow at all vents. Perhaps the heater fan is not blowing hard enough.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace