Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #1

2002 diplomat starting problem

I'm having a main eng starting problem and would like to inflate the suspension to check the ground connections, is there any way to inflate it manually? Tks. Chuck

P.S. Does anyone know of a good diesel service in Jerseyville, Alton Ill area
rvillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Chuck
In your front bay under the driver seat you have 2 air connections on the upper left. One is for tapping into your air tanks to get air to fill your tires, etc.
The other connection is used to fill your air tanks and suspension . Usually used for towing. How this works exactly, I have no clue since I never used it.
This is how my 2001 diplomat 38 is set up. I believe yours is the same.
Rick

R
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
An quick way to check ground connections is to connect a volt-meter's leads to one of the negative posts of your starting batteries and the other lead to a known-good ground (a clean bolt on the chassis, for example). With the volt-meter on the 20-volt scale, when the engine's starter-grinding effort is in process, the meter might read between zero or something under a volt. If you have an open ground in the negative path (causing the solenoid and starter not to engage), you'll see the meter reading 8, 10 or perhaps a full 12 volts. This check can essentially be done within the battery bay and all that gets dirty is your knees!! Good luck.

Robi
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Hi Chuck, tell us more about your starting problem. Does the starter spin over and the engine doesn't fire or it will not spin over by the starter?

1. If the starter does not work then have you tried starting it while holding the Battery Boost rocker switch on. Sometimes you have to hold it a minute or two before it will start.
2. If the starter does not work then do the headlights still turn on bright. With the headlights on and turning the ignition to start then do the headlights stay bright or do they dim.
3. If the starter spins the motor but it will not fire then have you just done anything to the fuel system like change a fuel filter
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Starter

Mike, Thks for the reply. The starter does not engage. It's been stored over the winter, but I started it just a couple of week ago and let it run for a while. We've had this coach since 2009, so the front set of batts. are at least 6 years old. The batt monitor is showing 13volts on both sets. Thks again, Chuck
Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Does your Dip have a rear start panel, just the off chance that the switch can pushed to the rear start position? If you could get it raised up trying giving the starter a whack with a hammer, sometimes they develop a flat spot. If that works time to look for a new starter. The idea of looking at starter voltage is a good one and should be checked. Batteries can be the problem especially at 6 years old, they show fine at rest but don't have the juice to fire the starter.
Good luck

Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have you tried the emergency start switch? Hold it down for a good two minute before trying the start then continue holding while trying the start. If this does the trick replace start batteries. If it doesn't then start at the batteries cleaning terminals. Also I had a relay fail in the start system that gave the no starter engagement. An other thought the key start switch. BOY lots to check been there.

LEN
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Chuck, I can help you more if you try those three things in my previous post and let me know what happens.

Also, one other thing. Is your Allison transmission shift pad have lights on it when you turn on the ignition key?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #9

Tks. for the tips

I appreciate the tips. I haven't had time to do all the tips. A couple of my rocker switches have top missing. According to my book, I have one called Aux start between the horn and exhst brake, I assume that's the one you mean. I stopped by big truck shop yesterday and they said to try jumping the starter. Thks, Chuck
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

That Aux Start is what you want. It is a spring loaded rocker switch and when you hold it down while starting it ties or jumps the HOUSE batteries to the CHASSIS battery. It does help to have your generator running when you do that. Also, if your Allison shift pad does not light up with the key on then the NEUTRAL safety switch will stop the starter from working. This is a common problem so check that out first. If it is not lite up then you are wasting your time doing anything else and we can help you fix that. The reason you need to check what your headlights do when you try and start it is because if they go out means that you most probably have a loose or dirty positive or negative battery cable. If they just dim then your batteries are either not charged or bad. If they stay bright means that no power is getting back to your starter. Which can be several things. Diesel MHs not starting is a common complaint on this forum and can usually be easily figured out with a little info. It is usually the simplest of things and not some wild hard thing.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #11

Been busy

I fibbed this morning when I described the switch line up. What I have is exhst brake,atc, aus start without top, cruise cancel, and resume set. I tried the aux start this morning, with no luck. I'm kind of thinking it may be the solenoid or relay. It seem that I remember a clicking sound coming from the right side of the dash when I turn on the ignition. The transmission panel is lighting up with N showing. Thks, Chuck
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Ok so was Aux Start a spring loaded rocker switch? Is there a Battery Boost rocker switch?

That clicking when turning the key to start is usually the starter solenoid. If it clicks usually means a loose or dirty battery cable or negative battery cable to ground dirty or loose. Again it is important clue as to what your headlights are doing when you turn the key to start.

Another thing to try is to turn the key to start several times and hold it for seconds then go to the chassis/engine battery compartment and touch all the battery cable connections and see if any heated up and are warm to the touch. If so then that is the one that is loose or dirty. You can not assume that because a battery cable connection looks clean means it is good. The best thing is to buy a special battery wire brush that will go over the battery post and into the battery cable end and clean them until bright. If there is corrosion on the battery terminals then make a baking soda mix and pour it on the terminals and dip the cable ends in to remove the corrosion then wire brush them
Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #13

Aux start

I have three rocker switches with no tops, So I'm going by my owners manual to figure out what they are. The one that I assume is the aux switch will click forward and stay in place. Another thing I forgot to mention, is the Gen set will not start. When the start switch is pushed forward there will be a serial clicking sound in sets of three. Tks, Chuck
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

Hi,
The aux start switch is designed to be held in place. If it clicks it has either been replaced with the wrong style of switch or it is a switch for something else. The switch for our aux start is what I call a momentary switch, this way you cannot leave the boost function on too long, it can do damage.
The clicks from the generator start could be from the preheat cycle. How long did you hold the gennie start button down, needs probably 15-20 seconds before the starter fires. Once warm will start almost right away. It is also possible the clicks indicate bad batts. Again more things to check
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote