Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

2002 Holiday Rambler 40' PST 330 HP

Good Morning Everyone. Yesterday I looked at the above mentioned coach. It has 3 slides and a 330hp Cummins engine. Perfect floor plan with 1 1/2 baths. the coach appears to be in good condition for it's age with only 31k miles. The asking price is 29,000.

The floor needed to be replaced due to a leak in the ice maker line. New sub floor through-out and laminate wood floor installed over. No refrigerator currently installed. What suggestions or input can anyone offer? It's a large rig and I am not familiar with diesel engines or the maintenance required. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanking everyone in advance.
Paul & my dog, Boo Boo
Teddyspapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have extra money and are handy, I think it can be a good project for you. My wife and I bough a high mileage 40' 2000 Dynasty with Cummins ISC and we dumped a lot of money into it initially. We knew we'd have to. If you can do some of the work on your own and are patient and can afford another 10K or so to put into it initially, then it might be right for you. You'd know better than anyone else on your ability.

Having said that, I see some 40' 2002 HR Endeavor's for 40K on RVT that don't need that work.

Best of luck!
steined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Does it have a salvage title ? I am assuming the refrigerator is a side by side, which will cost about $4,000 installed. I believe the windshield has to come out to get the new refer in. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, but the advantages are well worth the cost.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This sounds like a very good price considering. Do you have access to any of the maintenance records for engine service, transmission, generator and chassis. If not suggest a professional inspection to include oil sampling.

Are you capable and willing to do some of the work yourself???

I ripped up all my carpeting and installed a laminate flooring in the LR and BR. It has held up well the 6 years its been installed.

As for the refrigerator I would seriously consider putting in a residential. You need about 6" more height then a RV type frig but in my opinion that's the only way to go. A lot of people are replacing the old RV type due to the never ending recalls and safety issues mostly involving fires.

I have a Norcold refrigerator that's performance is far from adequate. An exact replacement is ~$4K. I can buy a residential (probably a Samsung) for ~$1300 and install myself. I have a furnace under mine, there may be enough room to lower the floor or just remove the furnace all together.

Good luck on your decision.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #5

Thank you Steined, Monacojim & Jacwjames for the quick response. The seller isn't sure about the previous service records. The tires are approximately a year old, per DOT stamp. He has a four door fridge/freezer combination to be reinstalled. Not sure if I want to have the windshield removed to accomplish this. As suggested, a house refrigerator may be a better choice.

I haven't seen the title but the seller claims to have it....I will ask if it is "clear". I'm not mechanically inclined...but, I can replace lighting, plugs, do some plumbing....and trouble shoot basic problems.

The generator has about 2000 hours on it. I read removing the generator (to replace belts) requires the front end cap to be cut and is an expensive repair. It has new awning with aluminum shields over the entry, and side windows. Nice, but the arm brackets are at a slight angle so they need to be reinstalled.

Again, Thank you for your kind assistance.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

As far as I know the 40PST is not a 1 and 1/2 bath. Unless the sink in the bedroom counts as a 1/2.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
2000 hours on a generator isn't excessive, however, if the generator is not on a slide it will have to be dropped. This does add to the cost of maintenance but not excessive. I doubt the front cap has to be cut.

I would negotiate a residential refrigerator into the deal, both of you will come out ahead. The only thing you need to check is the size of the inverter, if you have a 2000 watt inverter it would be enough to power the frig while not connect to shore power.

Most companies that do a refrigerator change will bring a new refrigerator in through a window depending on the layout. Some will come in through the drivers side window, fairly easy to remove and provides fairly good access. Others will bring it in through a side window but you have to look at the height of the window and the depth of the frig. Most take the doors off to reduce depth.

I've scoped out my layout and will probably bring it through the drivers side window. I have a retaining wall I can drive up to and it will provide a reasonable platform to work from. I am getting frustrated with my Norcold, started it up yesterday and the frig is still only at 47F and the freezer at ~20, not nearly cold enough.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #8

That price is very low IMHO which of course brings up the question of why. As others have mentioned you may want to consider having a professional inspection. The fact that the tires are relatively new is a bonus. I have been very happy with ours with the exception of a slight design flaw(imho) that you cannot access the toilet with the bedroom door closed.
According to your post "new sub-floor throughout". That would be a major under-taking. My understanding is that the entire coach floor surface is covered with one layer of OSB board before any construction starts. In addition that unit would have had ceramic tile in the kitchen area, hall, and toilet room. The way that was accomplished was that they tiled over a additional layer of OSB board and placed that in place before any construction was done. For anyone wanting to replace the flooring in their unit the question is how to get those 2 floor heights to match. The option is to either add an extra layer of OSB to all the other areas or cut the extra layer out from under all the kitchen cabinets, walls, etc. Both options present difficulties.
Opinions will vary but I would definitely go with a residential refrig. if it was me. The Samsung that many are using will barely fit thru the front door. However the Samsung will not fit with the heater in place.
The Cummins ISC 8.3 engine that comes in that unit is a very reliable unit. The most common issues for that engine are either cracked exhaust manifolds or leaking fuel lift pump. If you do not get service records you could easily spend a couple of thousand $, if not more to get maintenance issues caught up, depending on whether you did it yourself. Oil and filter change $150, 2 fuel filters $100, air filter $100, Air dryer filter $100., Radiator flush and fill $200., Hydraulic oil and filter $75. The preceding are rough guess $ for parts only. Paying someone to lube chassis might be $200. Paying someone to change transmission filter and replace transynd fluid $500.
Changing the fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter in the Onan would be $150. if you did it yourself. I personally would not mess with the Onan belt until it broke or at least got all the other things caught up. I replaced my belt at 4000hrs had owned it since 2000hrs with no service records, my feeling is that it was the original belt and appeared to be in good condition. I had pulled the generator due to a leaking water pump so of course replaced it at that point. I was able to pull the Onan without cutting anything but it was quite a balancing act between a floor jack and a motorcycle jack.
Hopefully this gives you a starting point if you decide to proceed. Also
I am sure I've left some things off but this would cover most of the basics.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
As far as I know the 40PST is not a 1 and 1/2 bath. Unless the sink in the bedroom counts as a 1/2.
Hello mdc99......LOL......Nope, it does come with 1 1/2 baths....very nice layout.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #10

I believe that would make it a 40DST. Not that it matters. However if someone convinced me that it was a 40PST and yet it had the 1&1/2 I would do some more investigating. I don't think a 40PST was available with 1/2 bath.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I could be wrong but I didn't think they made the 40' bath and a half back in the early 2000's, but again, I could be wrong. I would definetely double check on that first. If it is not the floorplan that you want then it really doesn't matter what the rest of the amenities are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
Does it have a salvage title ? I am assuming the refrigerator is a side by side, which will cost about $4,000 installed. I believe the windshield has to come out to get the new refer in. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, but the advantages are well worth the cost.
I too would make certain that it does NOT have a salvaged title. It more than likely had the Norcold RLIM1200 series refrigerator from Monaco. If you hire the refrigerator out you will be looking at least $3k and probably closer to $4k depending on where you have it done. I just installed a Samsung RF18 residential side by side/bottom freezer refrigerator in our 2003 Dynasty a few weeks back and the refrigerator cost $1174.00 plus tax and I spend another approx. $100.00 in miscelaneous lumber and supplies to do the installation myself. I was nervous about the install because I didn't want it to look like an afterthought and wanted it to look factory. Personally, I think it turned out very well, and I am NO carpenter. My Norcold was able to come out the doorway with only the doors removed and the same with my Samsung RF18 going in. Just removed the doors and it fit, barely but it will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
That price is very low IMHO which of course brings up the question of why. As others have mentioned you may want to consider having a professional inspection. The fact that the tires are relatively new is a bonus. I have been very happy with ours with the exception of a slight design flaw(imho) that you cannot access the toilet with the bedroom door closed.
According to your post "new sub-floor throughout". That would be a major under-taking. My understanding is that the entire coach floor surface is covered with one layer of OSB board before any construction starts. In addition that unit would have had ceramic tile in the kitchen area, hall, and toilet room. The way that was accomplished was that they tiled over a additional layer of OSB board and placed that in place before any construction was done. For anyone wanting to replace the flooring in their unit the question is how to get those 2 floor heights to match. The option is to either add an extra layer of OSB to all the other areas or cut the extra layer out from under all the kitchen cabinets, walls, etc. Both options present difficulties.
Opinions will vary but I would definitely go with a residential refrig. if it was me. The Samsung that many are using will barely fit thru the front door. However the Samsung will not fit with the heater in place.
The Cummins ISC 8.3 engine that comes in that unit is a very reliable unit. The most common issues for that engine are either cracked exhaust manifolds or leaking fuel lift pump. If you do not get service records you could easily spend a couple of thousand $, if not more to get maintenance issues caught up, depending on whether you did it yourself. Oil and filter change $150, 2 fuel filters $100, air filter $100, Air dryer filter $100., Radiator flush and fill $200., Hydraulic oil and filter $75. The preceding are rough guess $ for parts only. Paying someone to lube chassis might be $200. Paying someone to change transmission filter and replace transynd fluid $500.
Changing the fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter in the Onan would be $150. if you did it yourself. I personally would not mess with the Onan belt until it broke or at least got all the other things caught up. I replaced my belt at 4000hrs had owned it since 2000hrs with no service records, my feeling is that it was the original belt and appeared to be in good condition. I had pulled the generator due to a leaking water pump so of course replaced it at that point. I was able to pull the Onan without cutting anything but it was quite a balancing act between a floor jack and a motorcycle jack.
Hopefully this gives you a starting point if you decide to proceed. Also
I am sure I've left some things off but this would cover most of the basics.
I agree that the price seems a bit low and would be curious as to why. The Cummins ISC is a very good reliable engine and coupled with the Allison MD3060 should be good for many miles with the exception of the possible exhaust manifold, manifold studs and the possible lift pump replacement. I just replaced the lift pump in our coach and it runs around $325.00 complete but if you are not able to perform the work yourself you can expect to pay a bit for labor as they are a pain in the you know what on these coaches.

As for the Onan genset, I would consider a major service on it at time of purchase. My belt was shot @ around 2700 hours and needed replacement. I also switched over to ELC coolant in the coach and genset several years ago and would recommend the switch.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #12

The knowledge I gained from all of you is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to give clear and thorough explanations. I'm taking notes as my search for the "right" motorhome continues as the above mentioned RV was sold. There is so much to learn....I appreciate the tips on generator maintenance and the itemized list of maintenance costs.

It looks like a residential refrigerator is the way to go. The Samsung RF18 would have fit nicely....I guess I just didn't feel comfortable with the repaired water damaged floor and after receiving the description of how the coach is built (Thanks, mdc99) before the cabinets are installed I realized this may have been a pig wearing lipstick. Also couldn't understand why the platform for the bed was rebuilt with no storage access. Jacwjames, thanks for the information regarding the size of the inverter needed for the operation of the residential refrigerator and calming my fear about the hours on the generator. Zmotorsports, thanks for the refrigerator recommendations and ELC coolant. Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Tags
holiday rambler