RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Signature Supreme air bag replacement

I was wondering if anyone has replaced an airbag also is there a life expected like tires. I suppose it depends on a few things like age, hot or cold usage areas maybe miles traveled?

I hear they cost about 200-300$ each and as far as I can see when crawling around my unit a pretty tough job mainly because of access to the mounting bolts and air lines, I cant even see the air fittings on this signature.

A trucker said its smart to get a spare because there are so many types could take a while also I read here some RVers carry spare fittings incase they blow a bag or line connection. This signature like most units has the 10 bag system with 6 in the rear and 4 up front, question if you were to have a bag leak on the front or rear could you still drive to get to a shop or is this a shut down and get towed situation?

Has anyone paid a shop for an install and purchase of 1 or more bags, like I mentioned they recommend getting new tires about 8-9 years no mater if the tread looks good, kind of wondering what the rule of thumb is for these rubber bags, Dave.

Davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #2

There is no defined time when you should replace the air bags. You just inspect them annually and if you see a problem then replace. My coach is 13 years old the bags look great.

I have never heard of an airbag blowing out (I suppose it is possible). They can and do leak - and then it would usually be a slow enough leak that the air compressor can keep the bag inflated for driving.

If the airbag blew out completely (or would not fill due to a bad valve) you would need to be towed. The corner with bad air bag would be too low to safely drive (and with the frame twist you would risk cracking your windshield).

Regarding carrying a spare bag, I wouldn't bother. What are the chances you would ever need it? Would you carry spare ride-height valve, spare air compressor, spare air lines/fittings (well maybe yes for this one). Do you have a spare tire?

To identify the part number for your air bag, you need the numbers off it. Or the diameter, height, mounting bolt spacing, air line connection location and size, etc. and then matchup from catalog. I have not seen any Goodyear or Firestone airbag catalogs that list motorcoaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Bag normal fatigue cracking.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	220336  

Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I thoroughly checked my 2000 Dynasty air bags when I bought it and they all showed minor checking, which is normal. I ended up replacing one rear bag because it had a cut in the outer cover. The air bags have an inner bag and outer cover. These things can last a long time if they are exercised regularly. I think they may fail sooner if they coach sits for a long period of time.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

I replaced all 10 of my air bags this spring. They had severe checking which was very apparent when it was jacked up replacing the tires. I shopped around and found them for $170 each and paid approximately $1200 for them to be installed. It took the shop a full day and since the access was so awful for the rearmost front bags another hour or so the next day.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have not seen any Goodyear or Firestone airbag catalogs that list motorcoaches.
I meant to add to this - it easiest to order your replacement airbag based on the part numbers on the bags. But the catalogs would have all the dimensions listed to find the correct airbag for our coaches, if you can't find a p/n on the air bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example AirBag catelog entries.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	220352  
Old 09-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I bought a spare airbag ($107) and I also carry a 9" block that I could put in to get to a better place to replace. It is the correct part # for my 04 Dynasty and 08 Navigator.
http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackTech-Air-Springs-Bag-W013589376-W01-358-9376-Best-Warranty/153184094628?hash=item23aa7bc9a4:gAYAAOSw2GJajzU L
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

We replaced our air bags at about the same age as yours. (A 1998, done a couple of years ago.) The old bags had a lot of cracking, apparently from sun exposure - only where you could see from beside the coach.

I would rather replace them all at home, with proper tools, work clothes to throw away, nice big paved area, and time, rather than along the road somewhere.

On our coach, it was a rough job. I had to have a wrench made, three feet long, with an offset, to loosen some of the nuts. I am 6' and was 220 pounds at the time. If I had been ten pounds heavier, I think the job might have been impossible for me. Definitely not for anyone with a hint of claustrophobia.

Your layout might be different.

Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidv View Post
I was wondering if anyone has replaced an airbag also is there a life expected like tires. I suppose it depends on a few things like age, hot or cold usage areas maybe miles traveled?

I hear they cost about 200-300$ each and as far as I can see when crawling around my unit a pretty tough job mainly because of access to the mounting bolts and air lines, I cant even see the air fittings on this signature.

A trucker said its smart to get a spare because there are so many types could take a while also I read here some RVers carry spare fittings incase they blow a bag or line connection. This signature like most units has the 10 bag system with 6 in the rear and 4 up front, question if you were to have a bag leak on the front or rear could you still drive to get to a shop or is this a shut down and get towed situation?

Has anyone paid a shop for an install and purchase of 1 or more bags, like I mentioned they recommend getting new tires about 8-9 years no mater if the tread looks good, kind of wondering what the rule of thumb is for these rubber bags, Dave.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

I had to replace one on my 05 Exec. I think this was the model number: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....QaAim3EALw_wcB

Pretty straight forward to measure and figure out. There is a bag number that you can find easily on the old bag. Then measure the inlet air fitting size, most of them are 1/4 inch pipe but mine were 3/4 inch which Monaco used for a few years. If you get a 3/4 inch bag type you can convert down to 1/4 with an adapter.
Measure the top and bottom stud distances, air fitting location and use the chart on the site I above. The only thing you can't easily measure is the rubber bumper size that is inside the bag assembly.
Also, the bag assembly number will be on the top or bottom of the removed unit, worst case...

I changed mine due to a cut in it after an inner duel let go. Was the tag axle bag, the only "easy" one to change!

Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
These are the air bags on my Dynasty.

If you have the convoluted model, it's probably a W01-358-6905.

Here's the link to the Firestone air spring guide.

https://firestoneip.com/
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
2002 signature air bag replacement

Thanks everyone for the great feed back, nothing like real life experiences to get educated on issues.
Looks like a tough job as described and about $3000 for install by a shop for all 10 if your lucky.
I imagine a big truck shop like Cummins or Firestone facility would be the best place to go.
I might pull the tag one to get the right part number if I cant find it on the outside of the bag.
Good to know there is an inner bag, wondering if this is the case if the outer bag isn't really split, punched just surface checks and few hair line cracks on some they may not be in to bad of shape.
Thanks again all, really appreciate the feed back.
Dave
Davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, if your ride height is 9” (pretty sure it is) the #s I posted above are correct...same as others have posted above...9376 The # off the rubber bag will narrow it down but there are multiple bolt and airline locations and size on the mounting plates.

I decided $107 was pretty cheap insurance and wrapped it in plastic and stored it in the corner of the rear cap...hopefully I’ll never need it.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you go to the "Files" section above (top left) and do a search on Firestone, you can download the "Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide".
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidv View Post
Thanks everyone for the great feed back, nothing like real life experiences to get educated on issues.
Looks like a tough job as described and about $3000 for install by a shop for all 10 if your lucky.
I imagine a big truck shop like Cummins or Firestone facility would be the best place to go.
I might pull the tag one to get the right part number if I cant find it on the outside of the bag.
Good to know there is an inner bag, wondering if this is the case if the outer bag isn't really split, punched just surface checks and few hair line cracks on some they may not be in to bad of shape.
Thanks again all, really appreciate the feed back.
Dave
You don't have to pull the bag, the number is molded into the side of the bag. Sometimes it's not oriented so you can see it, but you have 8-10 chances of reading one of them. If you can't read any of them, you can loosen the bag and spin it around. The fronts are usually easy to access through the wheel opening.

On my Dynasty, 6 of the bags are easily accessible and pretty easy to change. The two in front of the rear axle are a bear to reach.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You don't have to pull the bag, the number is molded into the side of the bag. Sometimes it's not oriented so you can see it, but you have 8-10 chances of reading one of them. If you can't read any of them, you can loosen the bag and spin it around. The fronts are usually easy to access through the wheel opening.

On my Dynasty, 6 of the bags are easily accessible and pretty easy to change. The two in front of the rear axle are a bear to reach.

What Dennis says is Half true. The number on the bag itself is the number for the flex member Itself. The other controlling factor is the mounting plate, bolt hole clocking, and then the Piston compound, plastic or aluminum. See the provided link and click on the rolling lobe air bag pic, it will provide you with multiple selections and you will see that the same flex member is used on several same bags. Now you need to find the mounting plate size and piston makeup.

https://www.stengelbros.net/Air-Spri...ear_c_307.html

Tags
replacement, air, replace, ace