Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Windsor EMS problem

Hello,
Getting ready to leave on a trip and when I was testing the AC units wouldn't work. Reset Tstat, still no change. Started chasing problem and found that the EMS (energy management system) is not letting any of the circuits it controls work, this included both AC's, Washer/dryer, water heater, refer, and engine block heater.

What I've checked so far is.

Power to the RV is 120 volt, a 20 amp circuit but it shows I am getting 119.5 volts & I can change EMS to recognize 20 amp circuit.

The transfer switch is working fine, when I start generator it shows up on the EMS load display. I did check to make sure all lugs were tight in transfer switch.

Check the 3 amp fuse on the EMS circuit board, it is good & it is getting 12 volt power. I pulled the fuse and waited 10 seconds but no change. I will leave fuse out all night and cut 12DC & 120AC volt power to coach

Checked voltage on L1 & L2 at EMS panel, getting the ~120 volts. Reset all the breakers and tightened all lugs.

I did pull the EMS panel out of cabinet, behind this panel is a small electrical box with 2 relays in it that are OMRON G4B-112T1-C-US 12VDC

G4B 112T1 C US AC24 G4B 112T1 C US 24VAC Omron Relay SPDT 20A 24VAC | eBay

Found one on Ebay as above but it is a 24VDC coil. What is this for????

Any other suggestions as what I can do to check????

Should I consider by passing EMS for now, getting ready to go on trip and may not get it fixed????

Thanks in advance for any help.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Where is the sender for the oil gauge on my 2002 Windsor.My oil pressure gauge does ot work. It shows completely on all the time. I have installed a new gauge and it does not work. Thinking it is the sender unit. Help me find it.
Red Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Commercial Member

My guess is that you are chasing a non-problem. With your EMS set to 20a it has disabled any loads greater then that. An Air Conditioner is usually around 13amp running / 21amp starting. To much for a 20 amp supply.

Try setting your EMS to 30 amp and then see if one of your A/C units will run. If so then you don't have a problem.

The other issue is that that relay is part number 12vdc, so you just looked up the wrong one or wrong option.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've set the EMS at 30 Amp still no change. Power to the breakers, nothing passing through the control board to the circuits.

~ 2 months ago I did PM's on the AC units and then ran them after I was done, they ran on the 20 Amp circuit.

Also, the system won't let any of the circuits work even if the generator is running, all other 120 volt systems (microwave, outlets) work when the generator is working so this rules out transfer switch.

Here is a picture of the relay that I found. Does anyone know what this controls??? Notice that the back wire on right side has been hot!!! I have not tested to know if is/isn't working. This is in a small electric box behind the EMS system.

Thanks for any responses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02890.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	80352  
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I left the coach completely without power last night, turned off the Salesman switch and even pulled the fuse on the control board as a last ditch effort to reset the board. No luck. I quickly called several RV parts near me but no one had a clue to what I needed.

Called Mark (?) with M M Electronics this AM, it did take a while to get through. Mark was very helpful as far as steps to diagnose, we quickly went through everything I had checked and the current symptoms. His only suggestion was to try and reset but since I had already tried this he concluded the board was bad. He indicated that the board has been out of production ~10 years and the only option was the Upgrade Kit.

I went ahead and ordered from M & M Electronics, might have been able to save some money but they had exactly what I needed and would ship today. Since we are leaving Thursday AM I told him to ship to my first overnight destination in Florida so hopefully it will be there when we arrive.
He explained that I did need a new Load Monitor as the new board would not recognize the old one. This was a good catch as some suppliers on the internet only sell the new Board and amp monitor and not the display. It also comes with 2 new pigtails & instructions. He said it was a simple install and since I've basically had the old one in & out several time I don't think it will be a problem. The price seemed reasonable based on what I saw on the internet.

I went ahead and bypassed the board for the Front & Rear AC and Water heater and checked these and they appear to be working correctly, not pulling high amps etc. I left the Washer Dryer hooked to the board since it supplies power and lets me monitor my total amp draw on the load meter.

Should be able to repair this on Friday once I receive the parts.

I also found out that the small electrical box behind the EMS panel had a relay for the Water Heater and Engine Block Heater. The relay is available from Monaco for ~$12 plus shipping.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Glad you are on a path to recovery. Please post the final fix when you get it going.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
As a follow up I did receive the parts from M&M Electronics and got the system working. The new board is different then the old and the connections for the 12 volt power feed & load display are different so I did have to order 4 parts. The directions to hook up are not that clear but after reviewing I was able to figure out the wiring and which connection went where.

The parts that I had to order were

EMS main board 00-00894-200 $274.82
EMS display board 00-0903-150 $ 87.21
4 pin adapter harness 11-0903-100 $ 22
3 pin adapter harness 11-00903-00 $ 22

Plus ~$30 2 day shipping.

So far so good, the system is working as intended.

Also, while I had the panel out I found a junction box behind the cabinet. It had 2 relays, one of which looked like it had gotten hot, I replaced the terminal connector and today I ordered a replacement relay from Monaco. Part #16621138 $10.41 but it is on back order and will take a week to get. While I was investigating this issue Monaco sent me a wiring schematic for my coach, see below.

This info might help others in the future
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 02_Windsor_120_V showing relays behind EMS panel.pdf (97.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

I looked at your wiring diagram that Monaco had sent you and then found the same one on page 8 of the Windsor Electrical Diagram Section in the rear of the main manual. But, what confused me is that it states on the diagram that the hidden relay box is behind the 12 VDC fuse Panel. However you had found it behind the EMS Panel.

At least I now know where to look IF I have any problems with the Aqua-Hot electric assist or the duplex in my engine compartment that was installed for the Block Heater even though I don't use that heater BUT I do use the duplex many times.

Thanks again for the information.

My EMS upgrade kit has worked flawlessly since I installed it back in July 2013. I bought the board from eBay and bought the display and wiring pigtails from the guys at M&M.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Richard.

When I called M&M and they worked through the issue and solution & then said they had all components I just went ahead and bought from them. I needed them to ship to a place I was going and they accommodated. When the package got delayed and "returned to sender" because they had the wrong address they immediately sent another package no questions asked.

I might have been able to save a couple bucks (which I live for) I didn't want to take any chances.

Have a Great New Year