Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #1

2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial PKDD - Fridge

I own a 2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial PKDD and would like to know if anyone on here has replaced the refrigerator in this particular model. I would like to know what fridge you installed.

Thank you,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to list the fridge model you’re replacing so people who replaced that model could let you know. There are lots of different models out there.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Hi Eddie; as Walt mentioned, need to know your currant model and I am going to take a guess that you have a Nocold 1200 series 4 door refer. I looked at many 03 Imperial's before buying my Windsor and they all had the refer I mentioned above. Just put a search in the top box on this page for replacing a 4 door Norcold 1200 series refer in a H.R. Imperial and you should have some good reading to do. Lots of owners have done this over the years with great write up's here in this forum with pictures and prices of the install. I am sure your cabinet configuration is probably the same on many Monaco manufactured coaches. Hope this info helps.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies and yes it is the Norcold 1200. I was hoping that some one with my particular model had done this so I could pick their brain. I searched it but no 2003 Imperial models have come up. I have read the post of others but it seems the dimensions are all very different.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Eddie, I replaced our Norcold 1200. The closest residential refrigerator I found was the Samsung RF18. You can usually find it on sale at Home Depot or Lowes for $997 with free delivery. If they remove the doors and the lower drawer, it will come through the front door.
The issue is the Samsung is 5 1/2" taller. You can cut out the top and gain some of the height, but I had to also lower the floor the fridge sits on for the remainder of the height difference.
Do you have Aqua Hot in your Imperial? This is the key. If you have Aqua Hot you will have a drawer under the Norcold. You can delete or shorten the drawer and lower the fridge floor and everything fits fine.

If you have a propane furnace under your Norcold it can get challenging. Some have lowered the fridge floor down on top of the furnace and used an aluminum plate (because it's thinner than 3/4" plywood) to make the new floor. Some have relocated the furnace.
Others have installed a new aftermarket cooling unit in their Norcold (JC Residential conversion). This is more expensive than a new Samsung RF18 and you are stuck with a poorly designed 12 CF refrigerator.

This is a link to the detailed post i made on replacing the Norcold:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...re-356096.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:29 AM   #6

Vito, unfortunately I don't have the aqua hot system but do have the furnace underneath the fridge. I don't have any room over the top so it will all have to come from the lower end and I don't think I can get enough clearance for the Samsung. Thank you guys for the replies!!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I saw a YouTube video where someone got a kit from JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN that replaces the guts of the Norcold with a brand-new compressor that runs off of 12v or 120v (but not both). It theoretically fixes the "Notcold" problem. And gets rid of the fire-prone LP issue.

Have no experience with the product but we're planning to do the change to ours this spring. We also have the furnace-under-the-fridge issue.

You can get the kit shipped directly to you, or they'll do the change at their shop in IN. jc-refrigeration.com

The YT that shows a guy doing his own conversion:
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Fridge

Eddie, we have a 2003 HR 38PKD and are in the process of getting one of the compressor type cooling systems from JC-Refrigeration. We are having ours installed by CampFridge.com out of Phoenix. We are currently waiting for the part to arrive. We know nothing of the installer except that JC-Refrigeration recommended him. Will let you know more once it is in.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #9

I appreciate the info on the JC but I think the DW wants the room that the res. fridge gives. I don't know which way we will go at this point but I do know we have to do something with this Norcold soon. Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #10

I have the same coach as you. The furnace under the fridge limits your choices. I got a fridge from a big appliance store (don't remember the brand). I simply read the dimensions of several till I found one that fit. Not connected to batteries. In Texas I run the generator when traveling in the warmer months. In cooler months it has stayed cool for 8 hours without running.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

I have a 2002 HR Endeavor 40ft. Domestic Samsung fridge was installed before I purchased it so no idea how they got it in (doors off looks good for coach door). One of the furnaces was below the old fridge, now removed and only the single propane furnace under the kitchen area. Not an issue even here in Canada as the coach also has 2 heat pumps and we have a small oil filled rad heater if required in the back bedroom. Wive loves the extra fridge space and the drawer freezer below, compared to the 5th wheel we had before.
rmacdon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #12

Rmac, I wish mine had 2 furnaces, I would remove one with no issues. My unit only has the one furnace and I would hate to have only one source of heat. I have a shop that is going to take a look at it and see what my options are.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #13

J - C Refrigeration in Shipshewanna Indiana did an excellent job, 1 1/2 hours , in and out -

Excellent father, son crew , CLEAN, WELL MANNERED , professional job -

9.99 out of 10 - maybe better -
dwaldow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, holiday rambler