RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 23
2003 Monaco Windsor 40pst

Everyone,
I found a 2003 MONACO WINDSOR 40PST in excellent condition and wonder what your thoughts are on these particular models. Has 131,000 miles but looks new. I plan on an inspection so I am aware of some minor issues I would need to address.
__________________

RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
scenic route's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,869
We bought ours('05 40' DST) with 37K miles 6mos. ago. At least yours has been used. These Windsors have good bones but ours seemed to have been neglected along with not being used. Count on the normal 'all fluid' changes for a good base line. Tire age and mechanical condition along with water intrusion damage(this is where an inspector comes in handy)should be looked into.

We had a lot of discrepancies pop up on our shake down trip to the point of WE were the ones that got shaken down due to non use. You probably will not have as many problems as we did...these coaches do not like sitting for long periods of time. With the exception of the Nor-cold fridge going out, most of the system/sub-system problems were minor. We are still working to iron out some of the other things needing fixed...starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck with your purchase.
__________________

__________________
Jan and Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,451
Be sure to ask for maintenance records and would be great if they have Monaco electrical and operation manuals that came with coach.
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 23
I found this Monaco https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...PST-5010336284 and the dealer said it is immaculate. new 2019 tires. clean and previous owner is an RV dealer. Everything works great. What you all think?
RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
On my way back from Galveston to Denver last year I made a side trip to Denton to see a 36' CC Magma a dealer advertised. I called first to confirm the vehicle was still available and condition. I was informed the motor home was in good condition, only 55K miles, and C-10 motor. I told them I would be stopping by in the next couple of days. The trip was a complete waste of time. When I arrived the vehicle was unable to start (dead batteries) and water was leaking in the interior from rain the night before.
Needless to say I did not purchase the motor home. Wish you better luck than I had, but my recommendation on Denton RV dealers is see it, and inspect it, before you get to excited. Just my personal experience.
dca81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
I found this Monaco https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...PST-5010336284 and the dealer said it is immaculate. new 2019 tires. clean and previous owner is an RV dealer. Everything works great. What you all think?
Looks like someone replaced the original fridge with an residential. the 03 windsor came standard with a MSW inverter. Some fridges don't like that and you'll shorten the life. I'd check to see if it's still a MSW or was replaced, as that can run over $2k installed. Possibly they added a smaller PSW inverter just to run the fridge.

We also have a similar dining area. We have 2 extra folding matching chairs. Wonder if they are including those?
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Looks like someone replaced the original fridge with an residential. the 03 windsor came standard with a MSW inverter. Some fridges don't like that and you'll shorten the life. I'd check to see if it's still a MSW or was replaced, as that can run over $2k installed. Possibly they added a smaller PSW inverter just to run the fridge.

We also have a similar dining area. We have 2 extra folding matching chairs. Wonder if they are including those?
Will do. thanks
RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,857
The new refrigerator looks like a Samsung RF18. It uses an AC to DC power supply that will run fine on a modified sine wave inverter.

This coach looks very nice and I really like Monaco Windsor coaches.
The issue with a 131k mile coach is the RV business adopts a lot of the same conventions as the used car business. Used cars are considered well worn at 100k miles. I agree that a Cummins ISL is not well worn at 131k miles, but many of the other systems are well worn.
If you needed to sell it or trade it to a dealer, they will severely discount the value of the coach.

Having done this more than once, I will warn you of what you are getting into. This coach will take a lot of TLC and money to bring up to speed.
Tires alone are going to be $5k. Batteries are another $1k.
A/C's are getting to the age where they may need replacing.
The air suspension is great, but at this age they develop small leaks and the coach will not stay level for very long when parked.
There are lots more items to discuss, but if you are willing to do a lot of the labor, this can be a great coach.
I hope this helps!
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
96Bounder1st's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 538
Looks very nice. Hope the in person inspection goes well. I just purchased ours in Sept and you will find things that crop up and need attention.
I have changed tires, and had a major air leak repaired. Other than that very little so far. Had a 5,000 mile shake down cruise and loved it more each day.
The air leak did not affect the ability of the coach to stay level overnight.

Ours had 84,000 miles on it when we bought it.

Allow $10,000 for incidentals repairs (Tire, air leaks, pure sine wave converter) and what you donít spend leave in an account for future maintenance.

Hope it works out.

Terry & Pat
__________________
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PKD. Marjorie 2.
2015 Equinox V6 Roadmaster tow setup
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36S P32, AKA Marjorie in storage till spring then for sale.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The new refrigerator looks like a Samsung RF18. It uses an AC to DC power supply that will run fine on a modified sine wave inverter.

This coach looks very nice and I really like Monaco Windsor coaches.
The issue with a 131k mile coach is the RV business adopts a lot of the same conventions as the used car business. Used cars are considered well worn at 100k miles. I agree that a Cummins ISL is not well worn at 131k miles, but many of the other systems are well worn.
If you needed to sell it or trade it to a dealer, they will severely discount the value of the coach.

Having done this more than once, I will warn you of what you are getting into. This coach will take a lot of TLC and money to bring up to speed.
Tires alone are going to be $5k. Batteries are another $1k.
A/C's are getting to the age where they may need replacing.
The air suspension is great, but at this age they develop small leaks and the coach will not stay level for very long when parked.
There are lots more items to discuss, but if you are willing to do a lot of the labor, this can be a great coach.
I hope this helps!
I was thinking it might be the Samsung, but I couldn't tell. Your eyes are better than mine.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
Everyone,
I found a 2003 MONACO WINDSOR 40PST in excellent condition and wonder what your thoughts are on these particular models. Has 131,000 miles but looks new. I plan on an inspection so I am aware of some minor issues I would need to address.
I think it's a great looking coach. 3 slides, side radiator, quality furnishings. Do your do Diligence on the inspection and the 400 ISL Cummins. Your entering a hobby that will cost you money, no matter what. That's a great price for what your getting. My blue jeep would look great behind that coach. Good Luck.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
FCOKC's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 10
We have a 03 and love it!!
We also had issues with I-35 in Denton not being completely honest in there ad. We didn't buy from them either.
131K is not much for the motor if it's had proper maintenance.
Looks like with a little TLC it would be a great motorhome.
Good luck
__________________
Ken & Judi
2003 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
FCOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,451
Lot of coach for the money, at that price you can afford to make a few upgrades or repairs. Good luck
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 23
I put a deposit on the coach and sale is contingent upon the inspection. If no major repairs needed I will go with the sale. Good thing is the tires are 2019 so no worries on that. I have put aside money for emergency use and minor repairs. Just like any other RV buyer, I will be diligent on my inspection. The photos really look good for the year of the coach and the salesman has said everything works. Might be a typical phrase they say but let's see. I won't be afraid to walk away if I am not satisfied with the honesty of the dealership.

I do plan on taking a couple days road trip before I head home and test out everything at an RV site just to have more confidence if I complete the sale.
__________________

RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monaco, wind



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST TH Martin Class A Motorhome Discussions 14 03-08-2018 04:22 PM
New to us 2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST Coreyph New Rig Show-Off! 4 10-01-2017 05:32 PM
Bilstein vs Koni shocks for 2003 Monaco Windsor 40pst Coreyph Monaco Owner's Forum 18 04-05-2017 06:44 PM
Floorplan for 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PST MSHappyCampers Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 02-10-2012 09:34 AM
Monaco Windsor 40PST ? MSHappyCampers Monaco Owner's Forum 11 11-26-2011 09:10 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×