RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2003 Safari Zanzabar 3512

I will be looking at this RV soon. Can anyone give me some info as far as the suspension on this model or any other opinion of the RV in general?

PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaB View Post
I will be looking at this RV soon. Can anyone give me some info as far as the suspension on this model or any other opinion of the RV in general?
Looks like the coach may have the bad Trailing Arm Problem. This is one thing you need to check to see if they have been replaced. If they were replaced under warranty with the same you will still have the problem. My daughter had the problem on there 05 Monaco Safari Cheetah and replaced them with Source Arms.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker

2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found a beautiful Zanzibar years ago, floorplan was great, it ran great, and had low miles. The DW was sold. We did not know of the trailing arm problem then, however the driver side rear had a bad case of filiform corrosion in the aluminum skin.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...sion&fr=mcafee
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

I had a 2001 39' Safari Zanzibar for close to 8 years, never had a problem, was a great coach, and would buy it again. A couple of things, when looking at coach look carefully at ceiling for any water leaks, also not sure about the 03 model but my 01 had a fabric ceiling, be sure it is tight and not sagging if your model is same as mine was. Not sure which years had trailing arm problems but mine did not, I think the models after Safari sold out might have had issues.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Once you find a MH you are interested in, get professional inspections done. If you don't do this BEFORE you purchase, you run the risk of spending significantly more AFTER the purchase. If something is found, the inspector should be able to give you an estimate to repair. You can then decide if you want to proceed and can use it to negotiate a better price. You will be going into it with your eyes open. IF nothing is found, GREAT!!

I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service

You get a 10% discount if you use "IRV2" as a promo code.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

For starters, take a look under the coach just in front of the rear wheels. If you see anything that looks like the area circled in red, the trailing arms will need to be replaced. Cost of the Source Engineering replacement arms is $2000 + shipping and $700 to $1000 installation labor.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Paula! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi.. I have a 2004 Safari Zanzibar 40213 floor plan and I like it. I have done a huge amount of modifications to the interior. I did have the trailing arms replaced and at that same time replaced the shocks and did the Source handling kit..air bags and ping tank. It made a HUGE difference in driving. So, you might consider the cost of trailing arm replacements in your negotiations. Mine were not cracked but the more I read about the bad arms, the more I decided to have them replaced for safety. With the Handling kit and new shocks it just drives like a totally different coach.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #9

The Safaris are nice coaches overall (Note my bias as a Safari owner). One thing to look for are corrosion of the outer skin due to water getting behind the aluminum. It'll show as irregular shallow bubbles in the paint that look like painted over warts. It may be hard to find a rig completely free of this corrosion so how much is too much is a judgement call. My '98 has some in a few spots right under the awning where the caulking above failed, and a few small spots here and there, like next to the fuel door and at the trim strip above the storage doors near a couple rivets. If you are seeing them in the middle of a panel or patches of them I'd walk away - as I did shopping for my rig.

I don't know about the Monaco built ones but earlier models had problems with "seal creep" in the windows. You'll know it when you see it. The rubber spacer in between the two windows panes migrates toward the middle of the window taking on a snaking, smearing look.

The trailing arms on the rear axle is the biggie. Below is some information I swiped from another forum that covers it well.

Otherwise it's no different that checking out any other used coach. Condition is the big tell.

Trailing arm info:

"The recall affects Rear Suspension Trailing Arms ONLY ON THE R4R and RR4R CHASSIS with the "Monaco Gold" or sometimes referred to as "R-Way" suspension. It is an in-house copy of the Neway suspension. It does NOT include any suspension systems made by Neway or Reyco.

The recalled R-Way arm goes UNDER the rear axle and is made of 3" square tubing. They are on either side in the rear. The rear air bag is bolted to the rear/back end of the trailing arm. The center of the trailing arm is bolted to the rear axle with a large u-bolt and plates and the front is bolted to the frame. The cracks happen on the upper or lower portion of the center of the trailing arm where the u-bolt holds it to the axle.

You can identify the Reyco rear suspension (NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECALL) by the trailing arms that go over the axle rather than under.

If you have the FOUR air bag suspension and your trailing arm goes OVER the AXLE= Reyco= no problem.

If you have the FOUR air bag suspension and your trailing arm goes UNDER the AXLE= Neway OR R-Way= MAY, repeat MAY. BE SUBJECT TO THE RECALL/problem.

If the trailing arm is 3" square tubing, it is R-Way and is part of the recall. The Neway was used basically from 2000 thru 2002 and those arms are identified by the fabricated weldments using multiple pieces of plate welded into a box assembly (Not tube) and is NOT part of the recall-- there are no problems with this design

Monaco had a previous recall on the trailing arms because of bad welds. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE ARMS REPLACED UNDER THIS EARLIER CAMPAIGN ARE STILL THE OLD DESIGN THAT ARE SUBJECT TO BREAKING-- I.E. THEY ARE THE 3" SQUARE TUBE DESIGN. They need to be upgraded just like the original trailing arms.

The trailing arm allows the rear axle to move up and down using the air bag to cushion and limit the movement. A lot of stress is placed on the pivot point at the arm on the axle.

The recall essentially includes any R4R or RR4R Monaco Roadmaster chassis produced after the 2002 model year. This change was made as a running change and it is possible that some very late 2002 models could be effected.

Monaco Knight 2002 - 2004

Monaco Cayman 2002 - 2009

Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2002 - 2004

Holiday Rambler Neptune 2002 - 2009

Safari Cheetah 2002 - 2007

Safari Simba RD All Years

Safari Zanzibar/Sahara 2002 -2005

Beaver Baron All Years

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote