RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #1

2004 Beaver Monterey Chassis Charging

HI All ~ I have a charging question. Yesterday we decided to do a little tailgating. When I started the MH the battery gauge in the dash did not look right, it was sitting low - just under 12V. Aladdin show battery voltage at 12.3V

By the time we were headed out, the voltage on the gauge was obviously lower closer to 11ish. I started the GEN SET and the battery voltage worked it's way back up to 14V and everything ran fine.

Here is what is confusing

Dash Gauge shows Chassis battery voltage
2004 Monterey does not have BIRD
Why does Gen Set Change Dash Battery Gauge?

Have not had a chance to do any trouble shooting yet, l but I'm really curious about the BIRD...

Chris

atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

Chris, sounds like you have a couple things going on. With your engine running both chassis and house batteries should be charging, neither are so I believe you alternator is not working. Then you start the generator and both batteries start to charge. I believe you battery boost switch is turned on. That switch may be called emergency start switch, it ties together both batteries and that would be why your gauge on the dash for the chassis battery starts showing a charge. Get you multi meter tester out and check charge levels at both sides of the solenoid, both batteries, if you have a battery isolator check there too. 12.6 battery is fully charged but not being charged by the alternator, 13.6 or so, alternator is charging battery, 12.3, that you showed is about 40% charged, in the 11's, it's dead. Good luck!

Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #3

Chuck ~ Thanks for the reply. I did a little trouble shooting and imagine my surprise when I came across the Bird. There is a compartment above the batteries with the Big Boy and the Bird along with some bussing. Now all my measurements make sense and I feel pretty silly. I thought I knew my coach pretty well.
I'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting this weekend but I tend to think the alternator has left the building....

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Chris,
Glad you're on the right track. Now it all makes sense. I agree on the alternator. Good luck!
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, charging, chassis